Thoughts on Ezreal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tobley

05-12-2011

After playing a few carries and experiencing the combat in LoL I've felt Ezreal has some pretty obvious shortcomings.

He is listed as a carry so Iím making the assumption that he is developed as a carry.

Iím rather frustrated that he is listed as a carry. Ezreal is well known to scale poorly end-game so what is he being carried for?

I doubt this is by design as designing a character to be less-useful toward the end of the game makes little sense to me.

I feel that perhaps Riot does not know entirely what to do with Ezreal, the prodigal explorer indeed.

That is why I have listed several comments and possible remedies for Ezrealís general weaknesses.

Some thoughts I have on Ezrealís abilities:

Rising Spell Force Ė his passive, is great for an AD carry; if it was realistic for this to be stacked. The first time I played Ezreal, I quickly ran out of mana trying to keep the passiveís buff up.
Every guide and play-style Iíve personally tried with Ezreal end up sacrificing damage to make use of his passive.
As an AD carry he is less useful if he tries to make maximum use of his passive.
I realize that Ezreal might become too powerful if, with basic equipment, he could maintain Rising Spell Force indefinitely.

This might make a cooldown resource system more reasonable for Ezreal; especially considering the -1 sec cooldown effect of Mystic Shot. Ezreal becomes even more rewarding of more skillful summoners than he already is.
If Ezrealís resource is no longer an issue, he will only have to juggle survivability and damage.

Mystic Shot - the bread and butter. Great spell, I love it. Except when I aim it perfectly and a minion walks right in the way of it. I can't tell you how many times I've aimed it perfectly at a running champion. The trajectory would precisely arrive at the enemy champion if not intercepted by an incoming minion.
Immediately I think of the argument "it's a skill-shot, get better skilled with it."
If a summoner goes out of the way to make sure minions are not in the way, he/she put themselves in harms way.

I think that Mystic Shot should bypass minions. Fundamentally, Ezreal being required to expose himself to make use of his primary ability seems to be bad design.

Essence Flux - just doesn't make any sense to me.
A support ability on a carry is a great thing. However, Essence Flux is a poor support ability.
The attack speed increase/decrease is of minimal effect. It will never make or break a fight.
Obviously the AP scaling makes it incredibly bizarre on a generally accepted AD carry. I suppose this is to differentiate it from Mystic Shot more. If Essence Flux was not meant to scale, why give it an AP ratio at all?

I think it might be interesting if Essence Flux maintained its current attack speed effect. However if it were changed to have an arc effect, it would be more useful to a team battle. Also if it received AD scaling it would be great for early harass and for pushing.

Arcane Shift - is generally the reason I hear when asking why Ezreal hasn't been buffed. It is a great escape or last hit skill when used wisely.
There are some situations where it just ends up making things worse. If Arcane Shift happens to hit a champion and you're near a tower or minions you can easier choose not to use it and die, or use it and die faster.
The great escape just became pointless.

Removing the damage component from Arcane Shift would remove the problem above entirely and give space for the AD scaling mentioned above on Essence Flux.

Trueshot Barrage - is probably the only skill on Ezreal that I have no problem with.

However if Mystic Shot no longer hits minions, the cooldown may need to be increased slightly.

All of the above suggestions are based entirely on an AD only Ezreal.
My only recommendation for a hybrid Ezreal is making his entire skill set act differently depending on whether AP or AD is higher.

Dthehunter

05-12-2011

I disagree with almost all of what you said. His abilities are fine as they are. His learning curve is high because he's completely skill shot based. To complain that a creep got in the way of his mystic shot is just stupid. Why not just make all his skill bypass creeps and home in on champions? Essence flux is great for teamfights not only because you can speed up your allies AS and reduce your enemies (a possible 50% differentiation), but it will most likely give you 5 stacks of rising spell force upon entering the fight. Arcane shift is great for opening up a combo with mystic shot and arcane shift. Can you set yourself up to die using it? Of course, but that's why flash exists.
Stop complaining about heroes that are "bad" only because you're not experienced using them.

Tobley

05-12-2011

I'm not sure why you're attacking me.
This is actually the first time I've ever said anything about a champion.

I think it's a bit crazy to say complaining about a minion intercepting mystic shot is stupid.
Should I ward the lane entirely so I know when minions are going to intercept me?
I think the fact that Ezreal's only early harass is negated by something so trivial is a bit silly.
It is a liability compared to other carries. I didn't say it was difficult to line up a shot, it's just annoying to see already precious mana wasted because of a single movement.

The "skill-shot" should be the timing and direction of the shot, not exposing yourself to attack to make perform a simple harass.

Dthehunter

05-12-2011

If you're worried about the enemy hero getting in the way, then use essence flux. You can also use arcane shift to reposition to set up a mystic shot, essence flux combo. If you can get good at setting this up you can deal massive dmg before they can respond.

Tobley

05-12-2011

Essence Flux does not scale with AD. I don't think this would be an efficient use of mana or effort to harass with.

Dthehunter

05-12-2011

Why are you so focused on playing him AD? 3 of his abilities are AP based. Playing him as a hybrid plays well to each of his abilities. If you play solid AD, then 3 of his abilities will do neglible damage. Most of what Ezrael does is burst damage, so improving upon that damage pays off more often than trying to just auto attack.

ThaWiseWolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2011

You must not play him right.
I have no qualms with him, he's fine IMO. You do realize you aren't trying to keep your passive active 24/7...it's a teamfight ability.

Tobley

05-12-2011

I'm more focused on Ezreal being viable for end-game.
I'm pretty sure if you diverge your focus, most of Ezreal's burst, as you call it, is reduced by MR or Armor.
I'm also basing this from play and guides. High-end Ezreal players do not play him hybrid.

Trazier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobley View Post
I think that Mystic Shot should bypass minions.
I stopped reading here, my eye-quota of failure having been surpassed. In all honesty, i'm amazed I made it that far. I leave you with one thought.

PROTIP: Ezreal already has a damaging ability that goes through minions, you should look into things besides mystic shot if that's what you need out of something.

MrPatrickBateman

05-12-2011

AP = Bursty Ezreal, decent damage.

AD = Carry Ezreal, maxed passive stacks = HIGH ATTACK SPEED = GOOD damage

Pick one or the other, you will dominate easier as AP in a lane, you will be more useful as AD (In my opinion)

Edit: IF you think MR/Armor being a carry stopper is not working as intended? What in the hell are you thinking?

IF the team has heavy AP you want MR, if the team has heavy AD you want armor..Simple as that. Even if you're Ezreal, you should have a defensive item or two.

MR =Reduces his burst
Armor =Reduces his consistent damage.