Suggestion: Concede Defeat option

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

grunch

08-28-2009

There should be a mechanism to allow a team to concede defeat if its obvious that the team is in a hopeless situation. An ability to concede defeat may help reduce the amount of leavers to some degree (though not rage-quitters), and may be a way to deal with a team burdened with many AFKers.

Suggested 'Concede Defeat' mechanics would be based on some type of voting system requiring a unanimous 'Yes' to pass:

1. A player on a team can propose to Concede Defeat. This would open a voting dialogue box for all teammates.
2. The dialogue box should not be centered on the screen to avoid disruption of gameplay.
3. Teammates should have a limited time to respond (ie. 2 to 3 minutes). If there is no response in the given time, the default vote would be 'Yes' to concede defeat in order to cover AFK/disconnected teammates. We do not want AFK/disconnected teammates to prevent this process, so a default vote 'Yes' after the expired response time should catch this. Any teammates that vote 'No' would cancel the vote--a 'No' vote indicates an active teammate who does not want to concede defeat. Voting would close the dialogue box for the player.
4. If the vote fails, the game continues and the Concede Defeat vote cannot be initiated again after a set duration (10 minutes?). This is to help prevent spamming of this option.
5. If the vote succeeds, the team takes a loss and the game ends.
6. A small dialogue box should be displayed that reflects the status of the current measure as its in progress, indicating the # of yes votes and the # whose votes are pending. 'No' votes are not needed to be displayed, as any 'No' would cancel the vote process.

Thoughts? Agreements? Disagreements?

Nils

08-28-2009

It's a good idea, sometimes entire team leave, and for not get a disconect I played alone against 4 or 5 player, and a few matchs that i played end like that (not necessary my team). It will be nice, because the time that we waste playing a lame match, can be used in another match.

Geddian

08-28-2009

Legitimizing mass leaving doesn't exactly make the game better. What we should be looking for is anti-AFK'er features and a switch system to deal with unbalanced teams in pub games. The game is pretty quick anyway once it gets totally one sided, and surrender should never be an option.

eXes

08-28-2009

If you follow the leakage today, it would seem like we maybe, eventually get a concede feature next patch, perhaps.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

08-28-2009
1 of 2 Riot Posts

There are plenty of teams that refuse to end the game, Geddian. I agree that the feature will be overused, but it is necessary.

Rayven

UX Designer

08-28-2009
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Can't say when, but it's definitely on the way...feel like that's the only thing I ever post :/

Geddian

08-28-2009

Hm, I guess it is neccesary to prevent abuses by poor winners. I just hope it comes with some tight restrictions on when and how you concede.

HolyRoller

08-28-2009

I always found that in wc3 the solution for leavers was boosting the gold given over time to the leaver's team - if anyone ever played battle ships - you know that an early leaver was no problem - cause you would be raking in the gold. this as opposed to other games where a leaver was one nail in your coffin. A late leaver should donate all their item value in gold to the rest of the team.

a conceding option is a good idea too

balsafresh

08-28-2009

No no no. If this is added then teams will concede as soon as it starts to lean heavily in one direction. If the score is ever 30-15 or one team is outpushing the other everyone will quit. The only incentive people have to stay is keeping their disconnect record clean.

emoListic

08-29-2009

This concede defeat option is so similar to HoN?