How can you mid against Vlad?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoSu sAviOr

05-12-2011

Just wondering how you're supposed to mid against Vlad as an AD carry.

When I play Caitlyn I can normally deal with him. I'm using slightly up in CS once the laning phase ends.

However, I don't know how to handle him playing as Vayne. It seems like when you're at max range from his creep his drain move can still hit you. As far as harassing him that's basically impossible. Auto-Attack isn't an option and your Q (Even combo'd with condemn/silver bullets) ends up being worthless because he just heals it back.

This doesn't seem to be as much of a problem early in the laning phase, but later on as CD's decrease it seems like he's spamming drain ever few seconds.

Am I supposed to be able to do anything? It just seems like Vlad is completely overpowered at pretty much ever point in the game and he's so hard to kill given the way you build him. Not to mention his blood pool.

I mean there are quite a few champions that I would say are overpowered given a specific situation. I'd even cite Vayne as one of those champions, but Vlad just seems like he's completely broken, especially in the laning phase, since it's so easy for him to restore health.

mr2ne1

05-12-2011

Try to kill him/prevent any exp in lane before he's level 9. Meaning just be aggresive with him. Vlad can barely do anything without that level 5 Transfusion. Most Vlads know this and will try to play defensive and get exp to hit level 9 as fast as they can.

If Vlad does well against you early game, he'll just snowball and start to wreck your team. He's not broken, cooldown on his Transfusion is ridiculously long for what it does at early levels and it's heal isn't even good until you max it out.

Mattrellen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2011

When I have success against Vlad in a lane, it's when I save up to nuke him. Drain half his health every time your cooldowns allow, and he will have to think twice about trying to come close enough to heal.

It's fairly hard to kill Vlad, with his pool, but if you can force him to run, you are getting about as much time (more early) alone in the lane, denying him of about as much exp, and making him think every time he wants to last hit for gold.

It's hard to harass him with little pokes, because he can heal it back easily. If you want to harass, make it very constant (with Brand free, I found him a great champ against Vlad with the constant damage from his passive), or he'll just heal back.

AD or AP, the trick, at least in my mind, is to take his health faster than he can regain it, which isn't too hard until at least level 7, but can be done quite well even at level 9.

Human Drama

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2011

Vlad's Q has a very long CD at level 1 (somewhere around 11 seconds, I believe). Do your best to harass him as soon as you see him use it.

Leirkov

05-12-2011

Vlad is one of those "windup" heroes that isn't impressive early on, but scales really well throughout his level progression. This is common knowledge.

1-6: Harass. His Q isn't going to hurt, you have to do more damage to him than he can do back to you, and you can do more by being persistent in your harassment. If you know you're laning against Vlad, you can start with Cloth-5 pots [to help ward off minion aggro and harrassment] or a more extreme, Null-Mantle + pots to give you some early MR.
7-8: He gets stronger now, his attacks are hard to retaliate back as an AD carry, especially one without burst (Specifically looking at Caitlyn and such unless you can land Auto attack > Q > Headshot proc). Best to play defensive.
9+: Absolute domination. You need to accept being zoned unless you're a burst hero who can outdo his damage output, and this is pretty much only found in casters. So, Vlad -should- be naturally pushing at this point. You have to gank him, and accept being zoned because he will have no issue mopping the floor with his burst combo.

ColonelArmy

05-12-2011

One way to shut down Vlad's heal is with skills that reduce incoming heals (Trist's Explosive Shot and Kat's Bouncing Blade are some of the best in this category). When you see Vlad moving forward he's probably gonna heal/harass with his Q so quickly smack him with those skills and he'll find his health dropping instead of rising. Unfortunately, this is very hard to do on later levels so remember to harass him when his levels are still low, the key to beating Vlad is ruining him before his Q reaches lvl 4/5 (try forcing him to bluepill at least once before level 5, or instagib him if you can). If he starts lasthitting with Q then good luck, he's playing defensive (he's probably calling for a gank on you). Call your mates for a gank as soon as possible, but never towerdive against a Vlad. Another one is with silence. Just whack him with silence as he moves forward and he'll be forced to move back. Never use melee to fight Vlad, he'll kill your overconfident Trynd.

Generalnerd

05-12-2011

Vlad's primary advantage in a game is the level margin from being in mid/solo. Since he has such staying power, he can pretty consistently be 3 levels above everyone once the first tower goes down. A good Vlad will take that edge and run with it, since it comes at levels 9-12 which is also where his relative power peaks.

Therefore the key to stopping him is less killing him or out CSing him mid (although these help) and more denying him that level advantage that he can lever so well. So get in his face early and keep him at low health. Even Vlad has to blue pill if he's at 50 hp. Don't dive him, and keep the creep line near your tower, and he'll lose that edge, and then your team can mop him up midgame.

johanison

05-12-2011

What do you do against a Vlad with heavy magic pen? Take life runes?

johanison

05-12-2011

What can I do about a Vlad with heavy magic pen? Take life runes?

subjugator

05-12-2011

The trick, is Vlad has nothing after his Q. Once he's hit your with a life steal he deals very little damage. His pool has to be saved for late in battles (escape, towerdiving, running through minions without collision etc), and his E doesn't get leveled up until after his q, and needs to be spammed before it is doing large damage.

When laning try to watch for his q, as soon as he starts to move into range to q you, move back and draw him to your melee minions, if he does chase to attack you, let him Q you and move in, he will be able to do very little damage and will have you and all 6 of your minions targeting him while you're out of range of his minions. Hit him with all you've got! once you get him down to low health he'll try to stay in lane and heal of your minions. Keep an eye on your minions health, he will only use transfusion on a minion to last hit it, and will go for the melle minions first so he doesn't have to extend forward. Predict when he is going to go for that last hit and try intercept him and hit him with an ability, keep chasing him back to his turret so he is out of gold earning and XP range.

What makes Vlad so strong is the XP and gold advantage he can obtain early game. If you are up against an already fed vlad, play defensively, draw him to you before you do any attacking, late game his power levels off and he becomes more of an assist than a carry, so can be taken down easier.

A few things the wreck vlad: Anything that reduces health regen like Ignite, miss fortune, gangplank, Katarina etc.

If you do have a vlad mid, don't send a teemo or a Heimerdinger against him, shrooms (with a vision ward) and turrets just help vlad heal and earn gold without having to over extend forward.