Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Interested in Trundle?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

THE Muffinqt

05-12-2011

All of this information I originally posted in a thread in general discussion. The thread asked for a "high elo trundle player". All I did was copy and paste my post in the thread and I decided to make a new thread with this information here considering someone else on my friends list was asking about Trundle. That is why the context of the post may seem a bit weird at times but the information is still valid.

I'll monitor this thread and if it gets enough attention I'll update it if anything else comes to mind and I have no problem answering any questions. So if you've ever wanted to play Trundle, heres what you'll need to know.

First off I'll give my stats. (please note the account I'm posting on is not my actual playing account, if you wish I can pm you later my account if you want to look me up).

Ranked Solo Queue: 1821
Trundle win ratio: 66.7%
Trundle games played: 33

Ok so a little back story with my trundle. He is currently my favorite jungler, he gets through his jungle safe and fast and is able to counter jungle most junglers if no other ganks are available.

My jungle items are cloth armor 5 pots and I start at blue. I then do wolves ----> wraiths ----> red ----> golems ----> gank / shop and counter jungle.

For skill order, obviously you want to max your Q as quickly as possible, as this is your bread and butter. Its basically what gets you your damage. Note that this skill saps some of your targets AD and gives it to Trundle, so not only does this weaken your target but it strengthens you. NEVER FORGET THAT. This works extremely well with sheen procs and I will get into my item build later on. Your W is what makes me love Trundle, it allows Trundle to control the map so well. If you have blue buff you can spam it to get around the map easily for quick ganks and to always have a presence in any lane. Your W also reduces CC effects on you and will work along side merc treads. Your ability to use your E properly is what determines if you are a troll Trundle or a good Trundle. It will make or break your ganks and can even save yourself or teammates from ganks. Remember that casting this spell will give you vision in fog of war, almost like a 5 second ward. And lastly your R is what determines team fights in my eyes. It can be used when your team catches that tank out of position and need to drop them quickly, or when a team fight breaks out, you can either cast it on a Tank (for most stat gain) and run in on their carries, or cast it on the targeted carry and make them butter to a hot knife.

I've rambled on a bit about common knowledge of trundle and this is where i'll go into my item build for trundle considering thats what you asked for.

cloth armor 5 pots (starting items)
wriggles / madreds razor + boots (first shop after jungle)
Sheen / Phage (once you have enough gold for either)
Trinity Force
Randuin's Omen / Banshees Veil (Depending on which is needed, Armor or Magic resist)
Guardian's Angel / Sunfire Cape (Once again your choice)

Remember that Trundle is a TANKY dps. He will gain enough damage through sapping AD from carries with your Q and sheen procs that Trinity Force is really the only damage Item needed. With Trundle you benefit from having the movement speed from Zeal, the procs from Sheen, and the slow from Phage. If you are not getting a Trinity Force on Trundle then you are doing it wrong, Hands down.

Please remember that this build is not set in stone, there are plenty of other items that can be substituted into this build, such as:

Last Whisper (Your team is tanky enough that you need more damage than survivability)
Spirit Visage (Other team is full of bruisers? Take Spirit Visage to supplement your passive)
Madreds Blood Razor (Other team is super tanky and your team needs to shred them quick)
etc.

EDIT 1: I realized I never spoke about my boots choice. Obviously take merc treads if you need the CC reduction, never think that your W is enough and you never need merc. If the other team is full of Hard CC, take merc treads. If you absolutely do not need merc treads then I recommend boots of lucidity or mobility boots. I do not recommend zerker greaves as more of Trundles damage comes from Q spamming and the CDR from lucidity boots would give him more damage than straight attack speed.

EDIT 2: Runes and Masteries:

Runes:
Health Quints x 3
Armor Pen Marks x 9
Dodge Seals x 9
Magic Resist/level Glyphs x 9

Masteries:
1/14/15

Take improved smite in offense, take dodge masteries and reduced damage from minions in defense, take bonus experience, neutral buff duration, and movement speed in utility.

I apologize for the crudeness of this edit for the time being. I'm in the middle of something and I will more than likely come back to this within a few hours and make this more in depth on my choices and why I take what I do..

I'll probably re-read this and may add some things but thats it for now, I hope it helps.

gallantgreg

05-12-2011

How about including some Trundle specific gameplay tips such as

Rabid bite resets your auto-attack timer so you can use it instantly after an auto-attack to get more damage out quicker.

Or you can also use it to quickly cancel that long jump animation from casting Contaminate.

Tokinatoor

05-12-2011

I prefer FoN over banshee veil.

The regeneration is great, move speed is kick ass on trundle, and you get even more MR.

Thornmail is great when your dealing with heavy AD.

Frozen Heart is also cool

The Jokers Wild

05-12-2011

I usually go: wriggles-boots-triforce-thornmail/FoN-thornmail/FoN-Guardian's Angel -replace wriggles wit Randuin's Omen. this gives me around 75% reduction on armor and 65% for magic IF i need the extra armor, if not i usually go wit another dps item for wriggles. with this u can tank their entire team till at half hp, ulti their tank and ur team gets another 10sec to stomp their dps b4 u can run away wit W and E or die then revive wit GA, which is great

WhyMclovin

05-12-2011

What runes do you use?

THE Muffinqt

05-12-2011

Quote:
Tokinatoor:
I prefer FoN over banshee veil.

The regeneration is great, move speed is kick ass on trundle, and you get even more MR.

Thornmail is great when your dealing with heavy AD.

Frozen Heart is also cool

This isn't really specific Trundle tips, more of just knowing how to itemize any champion.
However, you are correct.

THE Muffinqt

05-12-2011

Quote:
WhyMclovin:
What runes do you use?

I'll update the first post to show my rune page.