Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

item puchase order for tank Alistar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xMURKY

05-11-2011

Hello im tired of using squishy and want to give tank a try, I am going with alistar but im not sure which items to get ive heard philosopher stone,mercury threads,aegis,sunfirecape,FoN,thornmail,Gaurdian angel, is this good? any suggestion and tips?

uuuuuu

05-11-2011

I play Alistar as a tank, but you cant have any damage items.

My build is:
Philostone (into reverie or new item)
Sheen/CDR boots
Aegis
Frozen heart
Trin force/BV/FoN

xMURKY

05-11-2011

is cooldown important on alistar?

uuuuuu

05-11-2011

Quote:
xMURKY:

Yes. ^^

SparrZ

05-11-2011

Cooldown's are important for Alister to control team fights with Knock up and knock backs... In addition if you play him as a roamer you want to be able to make sure the person you are ganking can't get away. Depending on the team I'll go

Philosphers, boots 1, Sheen, Titan's belt, MR like Aegis or Frozen Heart, Rylais, Trin force. I don't play in ranked so I like to get Rylais to uber slow people coming out of my pulverize...

TheCowGoes

05-11-2011

Quote:

YES. YES. YEEEEEEESSS.

*cough* But yeah. You should be striking a balance between CDR, and resistance/health, and auras, in my opinion, if you're going for full tanking madness. AP can be fun, and his ratios are good, but honestly if you are relying on high CD alistar for your main source of damage... you're doing it wrong. He can do a ton of burst with full AP, don't get me wrong there -- but squishy alistar that can only tank while ulting is generally very sad. Getting 1 AP item like Zhonya's (haven't tried) or Rylai's (tacks on more health, AP, and soft CC. Delicious.) can help out a ton, but I haven't really tried the first honestly. Getting an AA staff sounds reasonable, but it doesn't seem to work well in most of my builds.

Getting most aura or CDR items will get you enough mana regen with philo, as well. I like to start with mana manip if I got me a laning buddy. Keeps both of you alive and kicking. Alistar needs buddies with him or he can't do his job anyway, so getting a ton of auras gives 'em extra incentive to actually, y'know, follow you into battle. Strange, but it works. Your allies are basically an extension of yourself, you need to have faith that when you punt people behind you they die mysteriously, and they need to have faith that you can do it enough times to feed them 5 kills into an ace.

Good Aura tanking items, get two or three or four depending on how much you need other things, like AP or stronger defense (such as when they're heck-bent on killing you regardless of anyone else):
Aegis (very, very nice, almost always get it on my builds)
Frozen Heart (only useless when they literally have 0 AD. Otherwise, the CDR, armor, and mana are very tasty, aura being powerful besides.)
Soul Shroud (Health, aura mp/5 and CDR)
Sunfire (*could* work, but I never seem to get to it in time. You aren't really meant to do much damage anyway, just punting people around and taking hits.)
Will of the Ancients (Get this if your team has a ton of AP and no one is taking it for some absurd reason. Very powerful with some team comps, make sure someone gets it in that case.)
Abyssal (same with above, but makes sure you can put the MR/MR reduction to good use, and that no one else is taking it.)
Shurelias Reverie (hey, shut up. It's active has a MS aura, and it builds from your philo stone. Very good sometimes.)

Edit: Just FYI, but that's support tank alistar right there. He's pretty versatile, so it's not the only way to play him, just the way I like him. Also, I wouldn't take thornmail because it makes them less likely to attack you and you lack a taunt to really make it effective. Discouraging your enemies from attacking the tank might not be the best, but some situations do call for it.

unR Mohrisbetter

05-12-2011

Boots 1. Roam. Philo stone. Boots of mobility. Heart of gold.

Thats your core. Depending on dmg type of enemy, glacial shroud or spirit visage both good. Highly recommend mana regen seals and ms quints

Shurelias is also an incredible item and works very well with randouins if you can get both actives off.