Build problems with support (thresh)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ablevall

3 Weeks Ago

I'm starting to play the support role more often. I like to play thresh, and I start with a relic shield, 3 health pots and a warding totem. Then I build towards sightstone, and get the locket. After that, my build is pretty random...I do upgrade to face of the mountain from relic shield, and try to get defensive items. But I don't understand the build mechanics of a support, and I have no idea when the support items like mikael's crucible is good for. Can anyone explain when is it good to get such items?

Thanks in advance.

Xtiangames

3 Weeks Ago

Late game support builds are always an interesting topic. Generally, think about what your character does in the late game. Then build to support that thing.

For example, Thresh has a short range aoe knock-up/back. So in late-game teamfights, you want to be in the thick of the fight, spamming that skill to disrupt the bad guys (also, the ult is short range as well). That means you need defensive items to survive being in the fight and CDR.

His hook works when you can catch someone, which sometimes requires a burst of movement on your part. Or it's good in a chase. So build for burst movement - either the noncombat boots or switching your relic shield to the Reverie late game for some extra zip.

Ablevall

3 Weeks Ago

Ah, that makes sense. I do opt for mobility boots whenever I can (which is basically any random time :L). I often die in teamfights though, so that means I'm not buying enough defensive items. Will try to keep those in mind, thanks!

Bumping for more tips~

HOMO KPOP

3 Weeks Ago

I play ADC but I'll try.

I would recommend going Relic Shield, 2 Pots, 1 Ward, Warding Trinket. Save Relics for melee minions and cannon minions. Ancient Coin works I suppose, I just prefer Relic Shield since it gives a little health. Sightstone probably first core item as you back.

So as a support like Thresh, you're probably in the middle of fights since you want to tank and also make best use of ultimate. Tanky items like Randuin's or Sunfire for damage work, Thornmail or like even Iceborn Gauntlet or Frozen Heart. Spectre's Cowl is great against fed AP or mainly AP team, up to you whether it needs to be upgraded to Banshee's.

So actual support items....Locket of Iron Solari is pretty core on Thresh in my opinion since it provides a shield + tankiness. Crucible is iffy on Thresh unlike others like Janna or Sona but it does a great job against fast stunners like Veigar or Sona for example where you can help out. Zeke's Herald is great if your team has a lot of AD, generally ignored but it has it's uses. Generally, build how it supports your team.