Need help with Ashe at mid lane

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Litle P Kid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-22-2012

Recently I got called to solo mid lane with my Ashe at lot. Normally if it's against another range champion (Kog, Tristana, Annie, Ryze, Brand), I'll be fine. Even if I can't force them out of the lane, I will be doing even with them at the worst.

However, when it comes to melee champion that have a fast charge with a high burst (Fiora, Yi, Katarina) it's nightmare. Especially with Kat last night, Before level 6, her Shunpo could take off a large chunk of my health everytime while my volley can only give her a dent. After level 6, I can barely escape her first Shunpo + Death Lotus combo with my Enchanted Crystal Arrow. But with the long CD of ECA, it's death on her next S+DL combo. After 1-2 deaths, the situation swirl down fast. Similar thing happens with Fiora and Yi.

So can any experienced Ashe shed some light on this matter?

acosn

04-22-2012

While an earlier meta had ranged AD carries going mid, the reality is that these days you see an AP caster go mid because they typically have just enough oomph in their builds to negate ganks, and typically have some level of sustain to boot.

What's more, Ashe is a fairly squishy character. If I had to send her mid, I'd open with boots, buy into 2 doran's blades ASAP and run about half my runes as HP per level.

At any rate Ashe isn't that great a character for forcing people off lane. Her harassment is fairly awkward and isn't going to translate to kills without some mana going your way (IE: blue buff.)

The fundamental problem is that Ashe is a carry, and most melee oriented characters- Yi, Fiora and Kat are three prime examples- that are billed as damage dealers and DPS find their sweet spot in the early - mid game range. You're bringing a knife to their gun fight, as it were.

AlethiaArete

04-22-2012

What I would do is hang back towards your turret and focus on getting cs on minions. Build your gold, get items. Learn how to spot good opportunities and snipe with your arrow both in and out of mid lane. Ashe is really about the later parts of the game anyways, so playing it safe to keep them from getting a kill/cs advantage on you is the best way to maintain your natural late game advantage.

Now if you are having issues with taking damage you might want to get armor runes and/or pick up a couple potions when you start and when you go back.

A Litle P Kid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2012

Problem is I'm always solo queuing normal games so I have no idea with what opponents facing the team and don't know if I'll be called to mid, because of that switching a rune page ahead of times seems not likely. So should I just call for a switch if I found out it's a melee going mid?

Forgot to mention my starting build is usually boots + 3 bottles of pots, and flat hp, mr/level, ap runes.

AlethiaArete

04-23-2012

To be honest, sometimes I find myself wishing I had called for a switch when I didn't. But on the other hand, it really is better to try and learn how to deal with opponents you have trouble with. The bottom line with calling for switches is that your team is basically consenting to have a harder game if they don't switch with you.

But really if you stay out of the river (or maybe with only one foot in) and on your side then I don't see why you'd have a problem.

Amoc

04-23-2012

Don't play Ashe mid against AP carries. You're asking to lose. Her volley is so so so easy to avoid and other than that she has no really harrass. Some AD carries can do alright at mid, but that's because they have some combination of mobility, poke or CC. Ashe really has none of that.

Alamander

04-23-2012

I highly suggest avoiding running an AD ranged mid lane against most casters. there are some exceptions, but in 90% of scenarios its a poor idea.

Directw

04-23-2012

Ash was asked to mid mostly because of her ult. However, this was back when there was no junglers (at least as often seen as now), and her ult can help top/bot alot to win the fight without leaving the lane.

Nowadays, Ash is just too squishy to go mid.

AlethiaArete

04-23-2012

You know... it seems to me that playing Ashe mid is one of the places I do best with her.

Amoc

04-23-2012

maybe against the AI or at 900 elo. Her kit is really bad for mid at present. She's incredibly easy to gank (poor mobility), she has terrible harrass (volley sucks compared to most AP mid harrass), poor sustain and her only CC is an ult skillshot stun. Accounting for even skill levels, she'll lose the vast majority of matchups against AP mids.