Team Fights: Who to focus, where should you be?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NullDragon

05-11-2011

In my ongoing quest to hit high ELO, I've been working on improving certain skills of mine that I've noticed were... lacking. Last hitting was what I was working on last time, but it's improved to the point that I'm top on CS in the whole game most of the time.

Next up is team fights. My execution of skills I would say is pretty good, I know what most everyone does, and I'm probably decent in knowing when to farm, when to go try and take a tower, and so on. So what's left is.... teamfights.

More to the point, I don't know who to focus. 'focus their ranged carry trololo' is not too helpful and attempting to do so tends to lead you to going through their entire team and getting aced. Being way in the back and just focusing the person closest to you is... not all that helpful either.

Mostly looking for help in figuring out who's more of a threat right NOW, and are the true fight changers. You know, the people that actually win teamfights for their team, and without them the tide turns in your favor. Advice?

eric the blue

05-11-2011

i would say, any enemy with a soulstealer or other items that improve with kills/assists. you really don't want to give them a chance to reach max charges!

stopping Cho'garth from reaching max size goes along with this strategy.

NullDragon

05-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric the blue View Post
i would say, any enemy with a soulstealer or other items that improve with kills/assists. you really don't want to give them a chance to reach max charges!

stopping Cho'garth from reaching max size goes along with this strategy.
That's... kind of rare, and not helping as much.

Shank22

05-11-2011

I would say the most important thing for you to think of when playing with a team is your own composition if you don't know what that means, Its who's squishy but dishes out damage, who your teammates try and focus For instance if there is an Annie who has a stun ready the best thing to do is silence her stun her and kill her however if you see that she has 0 charges for her stun and no ult, then one of the better options is to stun or silence her then move on to your next target being typically a High AD damage player, typically one that has a smaller health pool and some CC if you get the crowd control out of the teamfights quickly your chances of survival are much higher, Bloodthirster's don't get you health when your stunned, Your healers cant heal while silenced these are always the things you need to think about

Nzo

05-11-2011

You can never single out one person because it will always be very dynamic.

For example, Ashe may be the other team's carry but they also have a Katarina. Ashe is always the target unless Kat is ulting. Similar situation if a team has Fiddles. Fiddles and Katarina are always ignored if they aren't ulting. If they have an Ashe + Annie.. even if Annie is not fed, you want to CC-Burst Annie down. Ashe may hurt more, but Annie's ult can change the entire teamfight and you need to shut her down.. even putting pressure on her is enough.

Aside from that, the general rule is target whoever is the biggest threat at that given moment. Never tunnel vision. Just because your target is Ashe, it does not mean you cant stop for a second or two to help one of your teammates survive with your CC or assist kill their target.

hotshotzehri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzo View Post
You can never single out one person because it will always be very dynamic.

For example, Ashe may be the other team's carry but they also have a Katarina. Ashe is always the target unless Kat is ulting. Similar situation if a team has Fiddles. Fiddles and Katarina are always ignored if they aren't ulting. If they have an Ashe + Annie.. even if Annie is not fed, you want to CC-Burst Annie down. Ashe may hurt more, but Annie's ult can change the entire teamfight and you need to shut her down.. even putting pressure on her is enough.

Aside from that, the general rule is target whoever is the biggest threat at that given moment. Never tunnel vision. Just because your target is Ashe, it does not mean you cant stop for a second or two to help one of your teammates survive with your CC or assist kill their target.
+1 for you good sir/ma'am. In short: focus the prime threat but don't be afraid to hit another person if it will help your team more.

FaerellG

05-11-2011

I've personally been having the same problem. My on the spot threat assessment is pretty poor. I suppose the biggest problem I have is knowing when to switch targets. Sure, targeting ashe is best but she's usually in the back and hard to reach. Champs with channeled ults (kat, fiddle, nunu) are usually hiding somewhere ready to come in. I often would prefer to save a stun for them rather than just beating them down on the spot. Stun a channeler and then continue murdering the carry.

So the specific problem I have is when say their tanky DPS is at low life and their ranged carry is at full. Both are within range of my attacks, who should I target? Should I try to finish off the tanky DPS first so my team can focus? Or should I switch to the carry and let the tanky dps flee?

It's not even a matter of who to CC, but I'm talking about focus and kill first.

Etherimp

05-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by element114 View Post
+1 for you good sir/ma'am. In short: focus the prime threat but don't be afraid to hit another person if it will help your team more.
Yes. Another factor is "Who has escapes?"

Let's say, for example, that the opposing team, (for some silly reason), has a Tryndamere and a Master Yi, and both are relatively equal in their damage output. Who do you focus first?

Both have an Ultimate which may allow them to escape. Both are dealing a lot of DPS. The difference is, forcing Tryndamere into a corner and making him blow his ultimate will just deal more damage to you. Kill Yi first, THEN worry about Tryndamere. If Yi gets dropped low, he'll try to bolt and usually die first. Tryndamere will blow all of his cooldowns, kill 2 of your people, escape AND survive.

If you have to choose between Vayne, Nidalee, Soraka, or Caitlyn, who would you burst?

Personally, I would go Nidalee, Vayne, Caitlyn, and Soraka in that order... Possibly switching Caitlyn and Vayne out depending on if Caitlyn was more fed or not.

Nidalee's spear is dangerous, and she has virtually no escape. Vayne has her ultimate (stealth tumble+increased DPS), and most Vaynes I'm seeing (including myself) tend to go with Flash and maybe even Ghost as well.. Caitlyn is dangerous, but she has her net.. Soraka is squishy, yes, but not dangerous.. her biggest danger is healing her teammates, and if you're focusing squishies and nuking them properly then her healing won't much matter in the end, so here's how I would play it:

Nuke Nidalee
CC Vayne and drop her 2nd
Have your tanky DPS chase off Soraka while the carrys focus Caitlyn down.

Of course, this scenerio is rather unlikely, but I'm using it as an example of target priority.

Here's another one..

Enemy team is

Shen
Mordekaiser
Shaco
Ashe
Brand

Brand would be first, no question. He is squishy as hell, nukes really hard, and has no escape EXCEPT for his stun and that's an aimed shot.

Then it's a toss up between Shaco and Ashe... Shaco is melee; so it's tempting to focus him first but he has some very annoying (and effective) escapes.. You definitely need to save the CC for him. However, even if you don't have CC, or you don't drop Shaco, you will still force him to blow a bunch of CD's and run away, so you want to do that because if you try to chase Ashe down while Shaco is nipping at your heels you're going to die and likely not get the kill.

Mordekaiser is also an option; depending on how he is building and what your team makeup is, but Mordekaiser; while he may be easy to lock down and relatively squishy depending on how he builds, he is not as high of a priority target due to his lack of CC and lack of burst. Yes, he can deal some decent damage but he's no where near the threat that Brand is when it comes to melting people.

Not sure if everyone would agree with me on this stuff, but figured I'd contribute. Hope this all makes sense.

Etherimp

05-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
I've personally been having the same problem. My on the spot threat assessment is pretty poor. I suppose the biggest problem I have is knowing when to switch targets. Sure, targeting ashe is best but she's usually in the back and hard to reach. Champs with channeled ults (kat, fiddle, nunu) are usually hiding somewhere ready to come in. I often would prefer to save a stun for them rather than just beating them down on the spot. Stun a channeler and then continue murdering the carry.

So the specific problem I have is when say their tanky DPS is at low life and their ranged carry is at full. Both are within range of my attacks, who should I target? Should I try to finish off the tanky DPS first so my team can focus? Or should I switch to the carry and let the tanky dps flee?

It's not even a matter of who to CC, but I'm talking about focus and kill first.
IMO, take out the Tanky DPS assuming he has no escapes which make it impossible to kill him. IE - Tryndameres Ult. If he's low hp, you're securing the kill and making it 4v5. Much better than him getting away and coming back with full health 30-40 seconds later.. Taking out that tanky DPS makes it that much easier to take out Ashe.

creamfrache

05-11-2011

the person w/ most deeps per hp

next target would be support