Why Solo Mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anshin

05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandraxhair View Post
Actually the only reason that mid gets more gold/experience is because they are solo. You get less experience if there is someone else nearby and you get less gold dual lane because there are 2 people last hitting. Eg. Ashe will get as much exp and gold 1v1 at top as she will mid. However you don't want Ashe top lane because she couldn't survive ganks at top. I agree with the first part of your post though +1
I think you misunderstood my point. Of course mid creeps don't yield special xp bonuses, but what I am saying is that creeps get to mid sooner. This means they can be killed and farmed faster. That's all.

Zerid

05-12-2011

I have had the same questions. Coming from Dota to league of legends I saw these strategies that you are talking about.

To start people solo top all the time, when there is a jungler. This does not change anything you are stating.

Could two casters work a dps champ mid. Absolutely.

I would love for you to test this and let me know your results. Organized teams just need to give it a shot and give us some feedback. To think this will work with 5 random people is silly. Of course it will not work. It has been ingrained in us to have 2 top 1 mid 2 bot or 1 top 1 mid 2 bot and 1 jungle. People are comfortable and can immedietly be on the same page.

Again, could you imagine trying to get the rager and the feeder that are on your team to try a new strat... no.

Great topic and I hope some people put some thought into this and give it a good try. Please post your feedback if you have an organized team and are going to try it.

Thanks

ColonelArmy

05-13-2011

This is viable, as long as you have good champs that can handle 1v2 lanes, like Morgana, Nasus, Ezreal (surprisingly!), etc. Heck, 3 mid is doable as well! Mid would be pushed in mere minutes if the enemies fail to respond really fast.

Booterang

05-13-2011

Mid is generally solo because it is the hardest lane to zone out. The distance between turrets is less. This is also why ranged characters are prefered for middle since often they can hit units under the umbrella of their turret, preventing harassment.

Daikaze

05-13-2011

1v1 mid tends to allow for the creeps to remain in the middle. If two people were in mid then the lane could easily become pushed beyond the middle and thus open for easy ganking from both sides.

Shorty523

05-13-2011

Besides what many have already said about mid being harder to zone out, in most ranked games your team will have a jungler and/or roamer and top will be left to solo most the time anyways. If 2 bottom is required for dragon control then both top and mid should be solo and therefore i dont really see what your asking. If u didnt want to have a jungler or roamer then the 2v1 in mid would still have a difficult time zoning out the mid compared to a 2v1 at top. If your dual mid does end up zoning out the other teams mid i guess it might be harder for the opposing jungler to gank them because of all the escape routes they can take.

Mattrellen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-13-2011

I think we have a problem in talking about this not only because solo mid is so common, but also because other strategies are commonly excepted, just as having a dedicated jungler and a roamer. I'm not sure we can properly discuss one strategy in a vacuum, just because other strategies can influence it.

Consider how the idea of having a jungler and roamer would change if a 3 mid start became common to attempt to quickly push down the mid turret for a quick gold gain for the team. If this became a popular tactic, I am not sure jungling (or solo mid) would be a commonly accepted strategy.

What is accepted as good changes with what is seen to succeed. If a high level team started dominating with a 5 top push to start every match, I have no doubt that others would start rallying the team to the top lane to start the game with a push.

Solo mid is the current fad in a young game, as I see it. Likely it will come and go several times as strategies change and develop.