Why Solo Mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Syncline

05-11-2011

My theory:
A good ranged carry with some CC (Kog'Maw, Ashe) can handle 2v1 top. That carry is leveling faster than their 2 opponents and can stand back and last hit without difficulty. 2 mid push the tower rapidly and (hopefully) zone out the soloer in mid such that he gets no gold. Put a ranged harasser and a tanky char mid, and whothehellever bot.

Test of theory:
I've tried this with a friend before. I played Kennen and friend played Amumu. What normally happened is they sent someone from the 2v1 lane (top) to help mid pretty early on, and basically the game continued as normal, albeit in different lanes. The only real advantage was that we played according to our game plan, but they had to adjust theirs, which happens pretty quickly as ppl go B to buy, rez, etc. It did slow their mid carry's leveling a little due to getting zoned, but their team responded quickly.

Conclusion:
There's nothing special about this strategy unless, for some reason, your opponents fail to catch on and refuse to send support mid.

Nzo

05-11-2011

Ttwo middle never works because the distance between the two towers is too short. Its impossible to zone the enemies mid player. Minion paths are also shorter. If you went 2v1 mid and assuming the enemy is a decent player, he will out level you and easily protect the tower. He'd force you to leave or get a double kill.

In HoN and DOTA, the distance between the mid towers is a lot longer, so thats why you see duo-mids or even trilanes mid. Longer lanes requires a lot more skill and there is more strategy. Its possible to zone in those games, so denying xp/cs is a good strategy... not so much in LoL.

This is why theres always 1v1 mid. You always want a jungler, so that leaves you with 3 people. 1 goes top to farm, 2 bottom to protect the dragon. First dragon kill is the most important one in the game, and thats why bottom is always the duo lane.

If we had longer maps, you would see a lot more strategies available. However, LoL is predictable because of its flawed map design.

Etherimp

05-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrellen View Post
Some of the logic here is off.

First, it doesn't matter how long the lane is, exp and gold comes at the same rate. Minions spawn at the same time for all 3 lanes, and, as such, the rate of any gain from minions is equal.

Second, mid lane ends up with more levels and gold because they are alone. A solo top or bot would see the same effect. If you sent a solo top, it would be equal to a solo mid for gold and exp.

The travel time isn't a very big deal, nor is the exposure to ganks, between wards and calls.

I would imagine solo top would compare quite favorably to solo mid for a few reasons.

First, mid can gank well. With 2 people as potential gankers, it makes the ganks on top o bot twice as strong or gives you someone to hold mid 2 on 1 as needed.

Second, it gives strong dragon control. Top cannot help the dragon unless teleporting to a ward. Mid can help dragon, and 4 is better than 3.

Finally, many good mid champs now can benefit from the top map layout. Cait can use the bushes to charge her passive quickly. Ez and Morgana have skill shots that benefit from the bend. Annie and Malz can benefit a lot from laying in wait for an ambush. Teemo and Karth can counter champs hiding in the bushes well, without needing wards, even.

I believe solo top would probably be better for these reasons, though there are certainly some issues (but there are with solo mid too, aren't there?) but it would take a planned group to challenge the norm and do well. If that were to happen, people would flock to solo top but many people will just thin what is popular must be the best, without thinking about real reasons why...
1. It does matter how long the lane is. It doesn't matter for the reason you're thinking I'm saying it matters. It matters because a shorter lane means easier escape, and manueverability. Top and bottom lanes need to run much further back to the tower and it's much easier to over-extend... which as we've all touched on, leaves you open to get ganked if you don't properly ward, and call SS.. but assuming that's the case, it's still easier to pull out of being over-extended in mid.. Thus, it's safer for squishies to be mid.

2. Yes. They end up with more levels because they're solo. This is why you put one of your carries in mid in the first place... Carries are who you want to get fed, right? Right. So, you put them mid solo because it's the safest place to get easy gold/exp faster than duo lanes.

3. The travel time is a huge deal. Faster to middle is more experience, more gold, and faster back to tower is easier gank/death escape.

4. You're right... Mid CAN gank well, which is why I made the comment in an earlier post about the mid player "snowballing" into a beast (being extremely fed), because if they kill the enemy mid player, they have earned themselves some free time to go gank one of the over-extended side lines (usually top), or they could even gank the jungler if warded properly or by use of clairvoyence.

@Nylian - See above points.

iP1ayJarvan

05-11-2011

i've seen this happening before, though unplanned. ez and anivia arguing who to mid and mid ended up 2v1 and the sides having 1 champ each, with a jungler.didnt work out too well coz they just sent gankers more often, since the 2v1 sidelanes werent being too pressured compared to a 2v2 lane, easier to defend from 1 guy than from 2.

Pastrytime

05-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzo View Post

If we had longer maps, you would see a lot more strategies available. However, LoL is predictable because of its flawed map design.
I think you're confusing the word 'flawed' with 'consistent', LoLs lanes are laid out that way to keep everything consistent which promotes a higher standard of gameplay seeing as you don't automatically get screwed if you don't correctly guess where they're sending a trilane and end up getting your solo or duo stomped on.

There's nothing wrong with predictability and even though it is somewhat predictable strategies are still evolving, so I have no idea why you think calling LoLs map design flawed, at least from a lane layout perspective.

Roaming is a GOOD example of how to run 3 solos except that most people seem to forget that the Europeans have been feeding carries CS with supports in bot pretty much since there meta started, which is a different way of achieving the same goal.

Nylian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2011

Everyone has brought up some great points, so far I believe that because of how close you can be to your tower while solo mid it's much harder to get zoned, easier to escape with multiple directions, less walls to be plastered against (for example by poppy or vayne), and travel time for a gank is faster from mid when you have options to run top or bottom make it the most viable option.

Someone mentioned something about making a support feed CS to a carry in a duo lane, I have gone with this strategy before and it was quite strong, but may have just been effective against the enemy team comp. Hard to say.

Hopefully everyone was able to take something useful from the thread, I sure have!

Killarus

05-12-2011

I think 212 is more commón in low elo where i play (1200) bc people suck and need a teammate with them for survivability. In higher elo 1800-2000 i found three solo lanes more common with one jungler and one roamer whose job is basicly just run up and down the river to gank/deny and place wards for sight coverage. I dont think this strategy can be played in low elo bc ppl just dont have enough skill for it and dont from the neccesary team composition.

OnlyBotLane

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BystanderFrenzy View Post
Because the distance between turrets is so small, there is less space to maneuver more than one champion around, and individual champs are able to escape far more easily because of this short distance. Minions waves also arrive, as well as get into turret range, faster. This generally means that players in the middle will get gold and experience quicker than side lanes, and more so if there is just one champ there instead of two.
Actually the only reason that mid gets more gold/experience is because they are solo. You get less experience if there is someone else nearby and you get less gold dual lane because there are 2 people last hitting. Eg. Ashe will get as much exp and gold 1v1 at top as she will mid. However you don't want Ashe top lane because she couldn't survive ganks at top. I agree with the first part of your post though +1

malphismia

05-12-2011

There's no real good reason. The best reason is that you want your carry to have the best conditions to farm. 1v1 lane is better than 1v2 lane top.

Also, your carry (top) can't leave lane or else they'd lose tower, they won't be involved in dragon fight, they can't get easy access to red/blue buff and go back to lane and they won't be facing the enemy carry. Generally, if one carry is doing good in mid, that means the other carry is doing bad (i.e. your carry gets a kill mid, their carry dies, double positive)

Fishous

05-12-2011

Shorter distance back to the tower. Yeah, there's 2 areas to watch out for, but that's what MIAs are for. And if a gank does come, again, easier to get to the tower regardless of which direction they come from. Of course, like someone said something close to before, you could put 2 mid if there's a hero you pre-plan that can hug really well.