Why Solo Mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nylian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2011

So I have been playing LoL since closed beta when there were only friend invites. It's standard that there is a solo mid character.

Why wouldn't we put the two people in the middle, and have a solo at the top and/or bottom (depending on jungle)? The solo player would need to have less wards for early warning, Is able to be more defensive with terrain, and can still leave their lane to go gank.

It's an honest question, I know that solo mid is the most accepted strategy but never really stopped to ask why.

I can only think of two advantages:
2 Escape routes
Easer access to top and bottom lanes for ganking

Enlighten me if there are more reasons, or if these reasons are substantial enough to warrant solo mid.

Thanks!

AznI3oi

05-11-2011

Top would get owned.

Nylian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2011

While I appreciate your prompt reply, your answer is ridiculous.
Care to elaborate?

Lvl 8 Psyduck

05-11-2011

Top will be feeding or a destroyed turret so early

Nylian

05-11-2011

Because of the 2 on 1 because the opposing team is 1 mid? Does that meant we'd get mid tower down super fast because it's 2v1 there, and mid would be feeding? Wouldn't you want your best pusher solo top against the two people?
So we go solo mid because everyone else does?

Feeders happen because the player is bad, not because they're top. You put a solid pusher solo top, just like when there is a jungler as it stands now, and they do fine. 2 bottom for dragon control.

How about some real answers with a real reason?

Not trying to be a dbag here, just seeking proper logic.

Etherimp

05-11-2011

Mid has the shortest path/route between and is safer from ganks than Top or bottom. Carries who get fed the fastest are more effective earlier and can get more kills going into the ganking phase, and thus they snowball into beasts lategame. Essentially, mid lane is the safest environment to place a squishy who needs to be fed.

Solo tops usually stay very close to their own Turret so they can avoid getting ganked from the jungler, or otherwise double-teamed if they attempt to over extend.

Bottom has dragon, so it's better to have a strong bottom (2 champs who can bully the lane) so they can keep an eye on dragon.

VoidBro

05-11-2011

Side lane will get tower destroyed too early.
Mid is easy to defend with 1 person because lot of space and closer to fountain.

Thinkdealer

05-11-2011

This topic interests me. In HoN and DotA they tri-lane. Are you familiar with hon or dota?

Anshin

05-11-2011

Because the distance between turrets is so small, there is less space to maneuver more than one champion around, and individual champs are able to escape far more easily because of this short distance. Minions waves also arrive, as well as get into turret range, faster. This generally means that players in the middle will get gold and experience quicker than side lanes, and more so if there is just one champ there instead of two.

dovvntempo

05-11-2011

when i played dota it was usually solo mid, but then after i stopped playing i heard 2 mid was the norm. So I went ahead and searched it up on google and found people asking the same question. A lot of it is over my head but one thing I recall is that 2 people could shut down their mid carry easily, and one of the 2 on your side could gank.

I think it could work. Have a strong harasser zone out the other carry from exp while your buddy free farms. Obviously, their mid is gonna ask for some help from the jungler so you'd have to watch out for that.

I'd say try it in a normal game with friends you trust, and with STRONG solos. Before anybody bashes the idea, think about this for a second... who would've thought that roaming would be so prevalent one year ago? Roaming can work because those champs ( taric / ali ) don't require that much farm to be effective. In the same manner, I'm sure someone who does his/her homework will find out a way to make a 2-mid game work to their advantage.

big thing though... you'd have to know the enemy composition. So this is something best pulled off in ranked where you know where champs are likely to go.