Jungling Udyr questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Llaz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2011

I have recently started jungling on Udyr (and loving it) but things have been a little tricky.

First off I start off at the watch point above blue buff to make sure I don't get ganked. Works great and everything except when I spot a gank. So my question here is, How do I react when spotting a gank on me at blue buff?

Secondly, I have been having a bit of trouble executing good ganks. I have gotten a few good ones but they are usually when the enemy team has over extended. Problem is that when they are around the middle of the lane my bear sprint isn't fast enough to get to them and stun them unless I ghost. This is especially difficult in mid because of the distance of the bushes. So my question here is any advice on how to execute these ganks better? Should I be using bear to initiate or something else?

Finally, (not really about jungling) later in the game when we begin team-fighting I find myself stumbling on stances. Eventually I get focused while my stance GCD is active and I can't swap to turtle to shield. So, Is there a good "rotation" that keeps my passive up while not leaving myself open to be focused?

Llaz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2011

bump

Nilator

05-11-2011

1) Depends on what they are trying to get out of ganking you at blue.
Do they want to steal blue buff from you? - Ward it/hide in bushes and smite it when below ~500 health.
Do they want to kill you? - Run...? Towards closest tower/your base if necessary.

2) Well your best ganks are when they are overextended. Don't expect to gank when they are at their tower. Generally top lane solo's and if your team is on bottom(don't know what color it is), that gives you the bush closest to the turret so you should be good there. If not, just wait until they have overextended or committed to downing a turret/getting a kill.
Def use Bear to initiate.

3) If in team fights you find yourself not being focused keep switching from bear to tiger. This leaves your turtle open to use if you find yourself being attacked while dishing out the most amount of damage.
Although being in bear and just attacking all/most champs once keeps them stunned for a sec and the 6 seconds is usually over and you can stun them all again.
Either that or go Bear - Turtle - Tiger - Turtle - Bear - Turtle - Tiger, repeat, that might keep your shield up often enough to have the enemies not want to attack you.
And if you have blue buff your cooldowns are low enough that you can constantly switch stances and keep your mana up and cooldowns to a minimum that you can chain your passive with one stance.

TheCowGoes

05-11-2011

Ask your teammates for jungle protection before minions spawn. It's better than just chilling at their turrets anyway. If they don't, it's on their heads if you get ganked, and maybe they'll learn a lesson or two. Other than that, not much. :/ Start somewhere else. Pheonix udyr can go wolves->wraith-> golems-> blue-> wolves-> wraiths-> red-> gank if needs be. Pheonix udyr's generally much, much better at recovery, which is why I loves him so. Tiger udyr can take a couple of idiots down if you have your team backing you up though.

Stonewall tells it all.

Edit: In-Depth Guide Kurayka's post below reminds me of this, changed the way I played Udyr a bit. Most people think tiger is better, but I love maxing pheonix first, picking up Tiger at 8 and leaving bear with three levels while using trinity to cover the MS loss and boost tiger's wrecking potential. Use the two lvl 5 stances in a teamfight, with tiger's proc and AS steroid beefing up pheonix (spend most of your time in pheonix, but stance dance to get other activation effects too) and you wreck face, especially if they have little hard CC. That does happen sometimes in normal games, and you will carry. 'Tis fun. Pheonix tank is also surprisingly effective with the mallet and some other items.

TL;DR Udyr is ridiculously versatile, pheonix is better than people think (although sometimes tiger is better, don't get me wrong), and you need to build to suit your team needs *and* your enemies' capabilities. Use a tank mindset when adapting to each game.

Kuryaka

05-11-2011

I run Phoenix for jungle, but start putting points in Tiger pretty early for faster Dragon / buff runs.
I generally start at duals or wolves, not blue.

Udyr's not that strong in a gank, but for chasing in the jungle he is a beast. Relatively unimpressive burst at low levels compared to other junglers, so try procing tiger -> bear stance when you get close to your target. Tiger DOT will apply, along with your stun.

Dunno about rotation, though Udyr's shield is relatively minor especially if you build HP on him.

VoidBro

05-12-2011

If u feel ur unsafe or unfortable start off at wraith camp and go up to Blue buff.
Its a bit slow but again its safe and less likely for a gank unless the enemy stacks on alot of wards/cv

The best way to gank as Udyr is to pop ur ghost and hit your E button. 99% this will always ensure a Stun unless the enemy uses ghost + flash to get away. Which is still worth it as this means your enemy has to wait for 2-3min and is vunerable to ganks during those periods.

I play Tank Udyr in team fights so I spend most of my time tapping E and W.