Why Void Staff Sucks 98.8% of the time

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

burakip

09-11-2011

Has anyone put into account that playing fiddlesticks both abyssal scepter and void staff combined r amazing. Go to my build fiddle in the middle on mobafire. That setup if freaking awesome i get plenty of AP and MP

M4nTiCoR3

09-11-2011

It always humors me when I start reading a seemingly new thread, only to come across a very witty and insightful, yet strangely familar comment...and just as I prepare to up vote it...I realize it was mine from like a year ago!

Canis Latrans

09-12-2011

Gap81, I love your graphs! They offer great insight into this. I cant believe this argument has gone since 2010 lol. I have used void staff, and other items along similar lines, what I got from that graph is exactly what you said; that items such as these really are situational. There are situations when you could look at the statistics and say "darn, I wish I had gotten the 40% MP instead of -20 MR" and vise versa (or even some other item for that matter).

I have tried to use one or the other consistently, and believe me when I say that boat don't float. I have won one game using void late in the game, and tried it in another thinking "psh. this will work easy" and lo and behold, a single death later and the gold's already wasted and I'm suffering for it.

Albinododobird

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2011

If you're playing noobs who don't know how to buy a negatron cloak, then abyssal scepter is significantly better. Otherwise, you should get void.

Yukine Tsu

09-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHelpPro View Post
Reduction is applied before percent penetration which is applied before flat penetration.

Percent penetration of void staff also combines with 15% pen from offense tree and MPEN runes/items extremely well.
Actually, I believe the order is the following: Reduction > Flat Penetration > % Penetration, as that is most beneficial to the victim.

Say we have 100 armor or magic resist, then -20 reduction, -20 penetration and -40% Penetration

100 - 20 = 80
80 - 20 = 60
60 * 0.6 = 36
Versus the way you described.
100 - 20 = 80
80 * 0.6 = 48
48 - 20 = 28

Edit: Just realized this is an old thread... why do people keep reviving these?
Edit2: Fixed formula

Melvear

09-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukine Tsu View Post
Actually, I believe the order is the following: Reduction > Flat Penetration > % Penetration, as that is most beneficial to the victim.

Say we have 100 armor or magic resist, then -20 reduction, -20 penetration and -40% Penetration

100 - 20 = 80
80 - 20 = 60
60 - (60 * 0.6) = 24
Versus the way you described.
100 - 20 = 80
80 - (80 * 0.6) = 32
32 - 20 = 12

Edit: Just realized this is an old thread... why do people keep reviving these?
Your sequence is right, your results aren't.
60-40%=36
80-40%=48

You put the results of your multiplications as the results of your substrations

Yukine Tsu

09-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvear View Post
Your sequence is right, your results aren't.
60-40%=36
80-40%=48

You put the results of your multiplications as the results of your substrations
Woops, yeah, just looked at the numbers. Thanks for pointing that out.