Sion or Ryze?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

makoxaflopin

09-11-2011

So im new to LOL and I really like both of these champs but I keep hearing that sion is a hard champ to play, especially being new. So my question is, who is gonna be a good champion for me? Both champions are good, in my opinion, but I dont know who I should play. Ive had good matches with both champions but more with ryze. Should I play ryze and get better and level up or try and play sion AP and get better?

LegendaryHobos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2011

Can't really speak for sion, he is a unique sight in a match, but ryze is a easy champion to pick up and play. I would recommend ryze first and when you learn the game better, try sion.

PieRuler

09-11-2011

Sion's not hard imo, he is quite easy honestly for me. whoever you have the most fun with should be the choice.

volaju

09-11-2011

Sions better, ryze is outclassed by other ranged AP for what he does. Annie / Veigar / Brand are all better than ryze and offer better "stuns"

makoxaflopin

09-11-2011

Well I have vieger, so would you suggest I use him instead of ryze?

Melvear

09-11-2011

Ryze is in a different category than Veigar, Annie or Brand honestly. The former is a tanky AP dps while the latter 3 are burst nukers. Their stuns are in fact all better than Ryze's snare, but they require more precision to use (well, that or some charging up) and they can't be used as frequently as Ryze's RP. Furthermore, if you miss the stun as a nuker, you're either dead or can't pull off a full combo. Ryze can just chain cast spells until his target is dead.

SiegeWeapon

09-11-2011

Sion as I see him is a hybrid champion that can be a tanky dps/ap. He requires farming to benefit from his E. Sion with his E and R make him a cool tanky dps plus his stun and shield to give him some burst damage. Sion has more variety compared to ryze.

Ryze is easy and fun tanky ap champion who benefits from tank items. Ryze's rune prison is a snare but it is longer than Sion's stun so killing melee champions as Ryze would be easier. Ryze has a ult that makes all of his other spells give off AoE damage making him strong in teamfights. Ryze is easy to play and hard to be killed when built right.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2011

Sion is not a very good champ anymore and keeps getting nerfed.

Ryze is quite strong plus he gets a lot of toughness as part of his 'damage build'. This makes him very tanky and not easily killed which is very forgiving for new players.

I'd stick with Ryze. Note that Ryze is a VERY WIERD CHAMP buildwise. Most of his damage boosts come from having a big mana pool, and not from AP. Don't avoid AP necessarily but you don't want to specifically go after AP.

Heres a sample build:

Take Flash for sure for an escape mechanism. Then pick 1 more summoner skill.

0-9-21 masteries. Take the +6 armor, +6MR and Str of Spirit which gives huuuge HP/5 for 'free'.
------------------------
+ Sapphire Crystal +2pots
-> Catalyst
+ boots -> Sorc eventually.
+ Tear
( Some people take Tear first, but catalyst actually provides health regen and toughness early on as well as mana regen, so if you possibly can... get the catalyst first)
(Both items are very strong though and boost your max mana significantly)

+ Negatron Cloak (this plugs your magic resist hole and toughens you significantly)

-> Rod of Ages (huuuge mana and health booster. AP is helpful but not the focus)
+ Glacial Armor (Increases your Cooldown Reduction early on, boosts armor and mana)
-> Banshee's Veil (more health, mana, and the spell block)
-> Frozen Heart (if there are a few AD-centric enemies. Even more CDR and tons of armor)
+ Another Rod (sure...we will take another 725 mana and big health boost)
-> Archangels|Manamune - go ahead and complete the archangels. We do this DEAD LAST because it doesn't do much for you. You dont need the MP5 regen, the AP isnt all that necessary, and all you get is a potential 400 more mana. Note if you get this before the 600 cap of tear it SLOWS DOWN your generation of max mana!