Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why all the hatred towards heal?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ebonclaw

05-10-2011

Quote:
Rocketball:

I think Heal is only ever warranted on any champ who is a prime target for CCing, and needs to heal themselves to make sure they can stay alive through the CC, since if any champ dies they are useless.

I don't use it much any more, but I totally agree with this guy.

But, it does also stand to reason, if your -primary- reasoning in your choice of summoner spell is (and it's quite valid, of course) securing your first early kills, above all else, then Ignite is generally the superior choice. They both suffer from generally diminishing returns in the later game, and Heal may have the overall better utility, but oddly enough, Ignite is just better at killing people.

Absolutely not to say that it's not a valid choice. Playing a champ who is all 'killing people' may just make the 'better utility' of Heal more attractive - if you are savvy with your use of it.

TheCowGoes

05-10-2011

Most people use heal wrong, some use it to set themselves up as gods early game. Depends on how you use it, and unfortunately plenty of people use it badly (like revive, or clarity). Although I guess revive is totally a lost cause, unless your plan is to troll around with zombie karth.

Arisulane

05-10-2011

Quote:
GoldenLancer:
People rage about Karths ult - but giving my entire team 500 hp is bad??

Cept you're not giving your teammates 500 health each. You're only giving them 250 health each, which won't have nearly the psychological impact on the enemy team, especially when the guy who needs it most is ignited.

sleepnaught

05-11-2011

Flash you can dodge CCs that would otherwise mean your death. Also you can flash over walls. Heal will only temporarily stop a death.

Heros that alrdy have a built in flash teleport, exhaust, ignite, and ever cleanse offer greater utility.

rubester

05-11-2011

thank you for all the thoughtful responses

Ghost13

05-11-2011

With no longer being able to buy a health pot in combination with doran's i like to take heal on malphite because i start with a doran's ring on him for early game harassment, and sense they nerfed mal's passive i find it quite useful.

Azrael1453

05-11-2011

I tend to use it in my Mordekaiser and Vladimir builds - I feel it's not a bad tank spell overall, and with these two it helps offset the health cost of their abilities.

DoransTroll

05-11-2011

I actually prefer it on support champs.
As support, I generally run heal/clarity and clairvoyance. That 250HP clutch heal can be a real life saver. Additionally, like Rocketball said, supports generally are prime target because they have low HP. Having that extra buffer is the difference between death and winning a team fight.

acosn

05-12-2011

1: It has terrible scaling. Late game it might cover the difference of a single damaging spell, if you're lucky. This is the only summoner spell in the game that actually somewhat fails to remain useful as you level. Even clarity is more useful.

2: It's not a sure bet for saving you early game. People have ways of mitigating healing received, and I don't just mean ignite. Ghost can be used both offensively and defensively, and with proper character handling can be more of a "sure bet" than heal, and even flash will function better.

3: It has a debuff that specifically is designed to prevent it's abuse so some sort of gimmicky double-heal lane won't work.

Lughsan

05-12-2011

think of it this way...heal is 'letting you get early kills easier'

So does ignite, and that helps you all game and gets better as time goes on and will allow you to BEAT that WW you are having trouble with in mid....

Flash has been beaten to death as well..but its worth repeating it is simply better...learn how to heal pot and stealth on twitch and you'll never regret not having heal....