Why all the hatred towards heal?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rubester

05-10-2011

This is a serious question. People bag on me all the time in champ select b/c they see I have heal. Some will even go as far to threaten to queue dodge. I may be a noob, but I have played 2500 games and this is what I have learned in regards to this spell. (And trust me I have A/B tested a lot of champs/builds/spells) so below is what I have found to be true more often than not.

First of all I play Twitch now about 90% of the time (probably 1800 games in total) with heal and exhaust. The benefits of heal to me early are essential in getting out to a quick start. I am also usually mid. I am typically 4-0 or 5-1 by the 7 to 8 minute mark. Heal helps me get 33-50% of my kills. Other benefits are that it counters Ignite. Lots of people will stand there and go toe to toe with me and pop ignite which admittedly diminishes overall healing, but I cannot tell you how many times I have been close to death when someone drops ignite on me and I pop heal and survive. Additionally when I am ganked and take a lot of burst damage I can pop heal and by the time my stealth has kicked in heal has allowed me to survive getting jumped. It helps with Karthus' ult and if I accidentally come across a teemo shroom or any DoT at low health. Survival is so key for my squishy toon that when people bag on it I just think they must not understand the needs of my character. And for the guy that said revive is a better late game spell...I am not sure how a spell with an 8 minute cool down on balance is more useful...but I guess we can agree to disagree.

I have only found a couple different champs that I cannot slug it out with on level one...Warwick with exhaust is tough (but have only seen him mid once). Teemo with Blind, exhaust, and ingite with dorains or vamp scept, and Kat with exhaust and ignite and a performance pot are all a little much for me to overcome at level one mid. Most everyone else I can kill without much effort.

So I ask the intelligentsia that posts here and I respect a lot of the thoughtful posters that frequent this board - is my thinking completely off? Heal allowing me to snowball early (as it often does) and survive countless specific cases late makes it the ideal spell for me...even over cleanse? My win percentage is well over 50% in both unranked and ranked as is my K/D ration so that must count for something.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on the matter.

Booterang

05-10-2011

your facing bad players if you expect to net early game kills with a heal bait. A skill like heal is only useful for just that: Heal baiting. A skill like flash on the other hand will save your life in situations where you are otherwise dead. If you face a decent player, you are going to die horribly and repeatedly.

LegendaryHobos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-10-2011

Most likely from people who feel like there are better spells to be placed then heal.
But its your build, if you tried the other summoner spells and no other fits better then heal for you, then there is no reason not to. :P

Arisulane

05-10-2011

Heal's not bad. It's just become a mark of bad players since I haven't yet seen anyone win any games with it. You'd be surprised how many players fall for heal-baiting even in higher elo, but the smart ones will learn quickly after their first mistake and do simple things like Ignite you in team battles before you can benefit from 500 extra health.

KADAMA

05-10-2011

Heal is good, I use health + flash on pantheon if the enemy champs run away, let them run away to their tower, ult their tower, kill them then flash + heal to safety It was even stronger before the flash nerf

DarkerStix

05-10-2011

It's very bad late game, that's why. It just doesn't really help at level 18.

Doriantv

05-10-2011

Heal gives 500 HP at level 18...

The problem is that there are better summoner spells out there. On a carry, Flash helps a lot more than Heal does, since the former can aid in positioning.

I think Heal is only ever warranted on Soraka, since she is a prime target for CCing, and she needs to heal herself to make sure she can stay alive through the CC, since if Soraka dies she is useless.

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-10-2011

The reason is that most people go for a ignite first (for boosted AP too if they have the mastery) when going for a kill; so your heal is halved, not that it heals much in the first place.

There are also lots of passives and one item that halves your healing(and I heard different source like ignite + gp passive can stack for 75% reduction; not sure if that is true though).
If you are a carry and is going to get hit by 5 people at once; you are going to die no mattery how much you heal; but you might live if you flash back out of range.

10 arabs

05-10-2011

Flash >> Heal...

But... We get 2... Count them 2 Summoner spells.

I'm thinking of switching mains to Kassadin, and I LOVE heal.

Flash/Heal. What I do is flash to the center of a slugfest - heal and then ult (flash) to their squishy and proceed to slaughter it. Done quickly its impossible to CC, and gives my entire team hp.

People rage about Karths ult - but giving my entire team 500 hp is bad??

Early game it solves my problem of sucking. (I buy mana regen pendant + Pots and use heal whenever on CD)

If your healing just yourself - then your not doing it right.

Tl:dr : Anyone with a built in Flash - Heal Rocks. Doubleflash + Heal = Team wide heal + assassinate enemy squishy's = PwnSauce.

Kikhan

05-10-2011

If your team has a couple exhaust and ignites already, on top of you having an escape mechanism I have no problem with heal. The first statement is more important in normal then in ranked. In ranked you can see the enemy team and adjust whether you need antiheal of ignite or the dmg/movement reduction exhaust provides.