Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Malphite

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lumaca

05-11-2011

Not saying he's bad, it's just that he seems like the worst of the best. So poor rock solid doesn't get a second look.

Private Riem

05-11-2011

They should just reverse the entire nerf. Although I agree with the nerf on shard, its basically its only way to harass. Now its so mana expensive that I sometimes prefer to save it for farming with ground slam (which now does pitiful damage lategame)

Mal Intent

05-11-2011

The nerf to the damage of ground slam really was not that necessary. It doesn't do that much damage that it was broken to begin with. And I say that maybe go half way with the change to his passive, make it a 10 second refresh not 12.

And I really don't know what makes Malphite so almost unthinkable of a champ for most people. I tank with him fairly well and three of his four main abilities have some kind of debuff or CC. Movement speed steal on his Q, attack speed slow on his E and his ult knocks all those in the area into the air... how is this not a good thing for a tank?

Hoofster

05-11-2011

I'm a huge malphite fan. While I don't think he's completely broken atm I do think with the current stream of nerfs he could stand a rework/overhaul. A more unified scaling on his skills maybe. Atm though be's just a walking cripple. E and frozen heart is a great cripple for those AS champs. The problem is with bruisers being so popular AS isn't as important when your damage is all skill based. He's just becoming obsolete as a crippler/soaktank as the game changes. On the bright side with less people expecting me to tank I can go tri f build.

Mal Intent

05-11-2011

Well with him becoming obsolete as this cripple/soak-tank is do you feel that anyone is taking the spotlight as that? Or are you referring to a better version of a tank like Shen who can ult to anyone who needs it and taunt/protects to break their focus? I don't think these little nerfs are really making Malphite obsolete just not the best tank. But considering Shen constantly gets banned in ranked play Malphite becomes a perfectly useful tank. Now that I think about it Amumu is a bit under used as a tank I think considering his two stuns and AOE/DOT.

daBigLOL

05-11-2011

I don't intend to bring ratings into the discussion, but Malphite is a character who will always be "good" or dominating in lower Elo's. His ability to dominate a lane (against people who are not able to keep your shield down or avoid harassment) is still there. However, you face against better players, his value drops significantly. Hes not as good in the jungle compared to someone like Amumu, and his dependency on levels for damage (rather than items) make him a fairly poor choice in the side duo lane. So that leaves his best lane as a solo (top especially) but they keep nerfing his ability to do so. Good players will not let Malphite dominate them in lane, because they have the proper harassment and ways to recover and farm from your harassment.

Also, Malphite is not best played as a Tank. Most tanks can jungle and side lane while having really good built in survability. Because of his low base stats, and his lack of support/crowd control after he initiates, I think he is more of a tanky burst assassin. You rush and gimp the enemy AD carry, and thats pretty much all you do. He is nowhere like Amumu where u can initiate on a group of people and keep people off your carry.

Mal Intent

05-12-2011

I'll admit I'm not like 2300 elo or anything, I haven't actually played much in the way of ranked matches. I can see how he is not dominant against players who can harass like a boss especially since they made his shield take forever to recharge. I never really considered him much for damage so I always just played to his strengths which is basically his debuffs. He fills a slightly different role for me but it is true that he doesn't have the ability to take focus off of carries like the others. The best Malphite can do is to disrupt the enemy team for a moment or two so this the rest of the team can dominant. But the requires a team that knows how to follow up.

But I can understand the tanky/burst/assassin role designation. I play that essentially but I just stand dumbly in front of people as opposed to being sneaky.

GankosaurusRexx

05-12-2011

im like 10/2 with him on ranked with a 4.8/4.2/12.2 average. wat r u guys talkin about? :3

Travalanche

05-12-2011

i don't think anyone knows what malphite's role is, not even Malphite himself.