Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Whats the best way to play Malphite?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Klazzix

03-13-2010

Anti-carry tank. Don't be afraid to rush in those physical carries, you won't die w/ ground slam & frozen heart.

Cybergoblin

Recruiter

03-13-2010

I played with a Malphite the other day who went like 25 kills and 5 deaths - he was an offensive machine. I think he just went standard attack damage gear like Phantom Dancer and Infinity Edge.

That being said - ive no idea how to play the guy - I just remember being really impressed.

EchoRex

03-13-2010

Best experience with him for me has been a hybrid tank/dps.

Banshees/Merc Treads/Guardian Angel/Last Whisper/Brutalizer/Aegis. With Armor Pen, Dodge, MR/LvL runes.

tropik

03-13-2010

6 sunfire and never die

Praetor Kamahl

03-13-2010

Malphite's a jack of all trades, master of none, which kind of leaves him gimped in a lot of areas. The only thing he excels at is countering hard physical carries (LOL GROUND SLAM + FROZEN HEART = I'll kill you if you're 6 levels higher than me, every time), and his early game Shard spam is an amazing nuke and harassment tool. Unfortunately he doesn't eat damage very well, and if you gear him as a tank, his W is completely useless, but if you gear him for DPS, his E is left as a mere debuff tool. Honestly, he goes best as a bit of a hybrid, working at tanky gear early and moving into DPS items later. Imo, you'll want to go Doran's Shield / Merc Treads / Catalyst + Null Magic Mantle (DO NOT TURN INTO BANSHEE'S YET, YOU'RE NOT LEVEL 16 >:[ ) / Frozen Heart / Banshee's / Frozen Mallet / Last Whisper. If you want to work Warmog's or Force of Nature into the build, grab Regrowth pendant at the start instead, it's much better than the shield (but Regrowth doesn't turn into anything a Malphite might want, save Warmog's, which costs far too much).

SrMeowMeow

03-13-2010

Chalice, boots and stack sunfires. Get an early heart of gold if you're struggling, get a veil instead of the second sunfire if it's caster-heavy. Ninja tabi usually, mercury treads vs. heavy CC. Sunfire is great - it means teams can't ignore you after you initiate, and the health buffs your passive and the armor buffs your ground slam.

Krendin

03-13-2010

Mana Sapph, 2 healths.
Boots 1.
Catalyst.
If no one else gets Aegis.. get it.
Mercs.
Glacial.
Frozen Heart.
Banshees.

Flip around the order as you see fit.

I usually go Ghost/Cleanse for summoners.

His ultimate is already "flashy" enough. Ghost Cleansing gives you alot of options in a team fight.

KeVoN xD

03-13-2010

I have been trying for first time malphite as a tank today, 1 practice, i do really good, i went for 2 normal game and to did very well, then pvp goes down, so i and a friend decided to go on a practice game to play together, we played in a lvs 30 macht with me and other 2 under that lv (me 27, the otehr 2 18 and 24), my team had a bad start but then we engage in a team fight, i used ulti in 3 of them, then the one that damage in area increasing by the armor, and shard to their squishi one, thx that we won that fight very quick and could go and break a inhibithor,
we end winning ehe.

So i think as a tank if you can initiate well you will do good, i play rammus too and i can say that malphite can do well at tanking and debuffing+doing some important damage to the enemy team.
But if you want a prue tank i will better go for rammus cause he can take more damage, with his defensive curl.

So tank is ok :P

I think i will try dps latter.

(srry for my english, i try my best :P)

JohnCataldo

03-13-2010

Malphite makes a good tank not only for his passive shield (which is
significant) but also because he benefits greatly from bonus armor through
Ground Slam, which helps him tank vs. DPS anyway.

I'm not saying he can't be a decent DPS. But he's obviously a strong
tank as well.

Of course, if you guys are recommending he get Glacial/Frozen Heart on the DPS
builds, he's pretty much hybrid anyway.

GuyGin

03-13-2010

IMO you shouldn't stack AP in general, because its not a survivable enough stat. I usually do decent with him as an initiator, scoring more kills than deaths and more assists than kills.

The reason to not stack ap is because your ground slam will dramatically suffer because there are no AP / Def items, and in generally most AP items wont let you live long enough to be a real threat.

That said, I like to carry around mpen. Visage + sorcerer's shoes puts you at about 40 mpen. The rest of the items I generally go for are typical. Glacial heart (because you need the 20% cd redux, the mana and the epic aura), Aegis, and depending on the team sunfire cape or thornmail. (sunfire is actually quite good with the 2 mpen items plus the mpen from masteries).

The strategy is very basic, charge in, ground slam, cast the target spell, and then try to not die in the next 10 seconds. I have a lot of fun with malph and he's def my best tank.

Oh yeah, when I play him I also run mpen quints / marks, AP/lvl glyphs and flat mana regen seals (because you need it most early game, imo).