Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Whats the best way to play Malphite?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swanky

03-12-2010

I haven't seen many good Malphite players and i was wondering whats the best way to play him and whats the best build?

Im thinking the 2 ways are DPS or Tank right??

Im leaning towards DPS, but whatevers better

KaaaBLAMO

03-12-2010

DPS is definitely the way to go. However, the DPS build looks a lot like the tank build. Merc Treads, Phage, and Glacial Shroud are the core of my build and I do pretty well. Utility tree is the way to go for Masteries IMO, with the remaining 9 going into Offense for magic pen. Crit chance and magic pen are both good rune choices. I've found that CD reduction and the ability to slow enemies are both key to DPS'ing with Malphite, because he's largely skill-based and has trouble catching runners, even though Shard is great.

I think it's a bit silly to build him as a tank because the only thing he has that slants him that direction is a 10% HP buff (yes I know it's better than that but it doesn't recharge in team fights so that's basically what it boils down to). Whoop-di-do. That lets him survive initiating with Unstoppable Force, not tank. Kassadin's and Pantheon's passives don't make them tanks, and neither does Malphite's.

Supreme1337

03-12-2010

GO for armor+plus mana+ability pwr. Basically get Chalice+boots+Frzen Heart+More Armor. This makes ground slam unbeatable with its armor-based damage increase. Also with the cd redux from frozen heart u can spam it, and ur ult comes back faster. U can read my guide.

Reidan

03-12-2010

get 6 tiamats, pop your damage boost, ult them, bam ace

Exoh

03-12-2010

Quote:
Reidan:
get 6 tiamats, pop your damage boost, ult them, bam ace

approved

CryHavoc

03-12-2010

1. Ask Ring.
2. ???
3. Profit.

Seriously.

Flapjacks

03-12-2010

Quote:
KrentistTheDentist:
DPS is definitely the way to go. However, the DPS build looks a lot like the tank build. Merc Treads, Phage, and Glacial Shroud are the core of my build and I do pretty well. Utility tree is the way to go for Masteries IMO, with the remaining 9 going into Offense for magic pen. Crit chance and magic pen are both good rune choices. I've found that CD reduction and the ability to slow enemies are both key to DPS'ing with Malphite, because he's largely skill-based and has trouble catching runners, even though Shard is great.

I think it's a bit silly to build him as a tank because the only thing he has that slants him that direction is a 10% HP buff (yes I know it's better than that but it doesn't recharge in team fights so that's basically what it boils down to). Whoop-di-do. That lets him survive initiating with Unstoppable Force, not tank. Kassadin's and Pantheon's passives don't make them tanks, and neither does Malphite's.

Kassadin and Pantheon's passives are quite a bit worse for tanking and they don't have unstoppable force heh. You can play Malphite as a dps and do fine, but there are much better choices if you want to play a DPS. He is for sure one of the best tanks though.

condon

Recruiter

03-12-2010

With Gusto.

Voidgolem

03-12-2010

Magic Penetration + Tanky ****.

Works until you get careless or enemy Fiddle/Veigar/Annie is fed >.>

KaaaBLAMO

03-12-2010

Quote:
Flapjacks:
Kassadin and Pantheon's passives are quite a bit worse for tanking and they don't have unstoppable force heh. You can play Malphite as a dps and do fine, but there are much better choices if you want to play a DPS. He is for sure one of the best tanks though.

Unstoppable Force makes him an initiator, not a tank. Nothing says you have to stand there in the middle of them after you use it.

Also, I would call him durable DPS in addition to an initiator. His damage ceiling certainly isn't as high as pure carries, but he doesn't asplode right away either if focused - but he can't hold a candle to Rammus or Alistar in the tanking department.