How to play Malz?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dubont

05-10-2011

Either this guy is bad or I'm just playing him incorrectly. He's abilities are so slow that by the time they go off, the enemy champ is either dead or out of range. 3 of his abilities are DoT (which sucks) so it's hard to get kills at all especially with this week's free lineup (Jax and Rumble say hai..). He also has no burst damage so in 1v1, I get owned with him pretty quickly...so what's this guy's deal? I build him like most other mages (Sorc boots, Rylai's scepter, deathcap, void staff, etc etc) and I still can't do near as much with him as I can with other mages. Any help? Going 6/4/20 against bots is really embarrassing ; ;

larkhill

05-10-2011

level E first. then W, with Q last (1 point at lvl 4 for the silence).

items are dependent on the enemy team but i always build a codex first, and go into either morello's or dfg, depending on if the enemy has anyone worth using dfg on or not. then sorc shoes, and the new spellblade 3rd. a CC'ed mage is a useless mage. dont be a useless mage...

the key to malz is early farming. he's the most efficient laner in the game. he actually gains mana laning thanks to his E. it takes a lot of practice but u can easily kill all the minions with 1 E cast and sometimes even have it bounce to the opponent as well. casting it on minions so they bounce to the unsuspecting enemy is the key to early-game harassing, which leads to early kills.

getting kills is very simple. W + R is all u really need to do. after that its just a matter of chasing and landing ur Q. remember to cast ur Q right after ur R so they cant escape as easily. a lot of champs have stuns/escape mechanisms they can use to get away if they survive ur W+R combo (though not many should. it does a lot of dmg. any1 at half hp or so will almost certainly die to it. especially at early/mid game).

also, dont forget about ur voidling. that little guy can be a HUGE dmg boost. they do a deceptively large amt of dmg. and if u can time it right so u have 2 during a teamfight, look out. whoever u point them to will probably die and they cant do much about it

the thing to remember with malz is that he is not a teamfight type of guy. he is a 1v1 champ. he is one of the best 1v1 champs in the game, if not the best. his W+R combo is what gets u kills. his E is what gets u minion kills and enough gold to do whatever u want.

Gohtohmoth

05-10-2011

I picked up Malzahar earlier today and he is a blast! To work his skills and rack up kills. Try maxing his null zone and visions abilities first.

How I get kills:
rig your passive until its about to unleash a voidling.
Then find a target that is a bit vulnerable and get close to them.
Put visions on them for the dot which should unleash your voidling on them.
Then put null zone right behind them or wherever you think they will be in about one second.
Finally, fire your your ultimate to keep them in the null zone with their dot and the voidling eating them and they should be dead.

Dubont

05-10-2011

Thanks for the tips. The problem though is that I don't do enough spike damage to really get the kill. I just tried to above suggestion of W>R combo with the voidling and while I did do a great deal of damage, the champ managed to get away so I threw ignite and E on him. He still didn't die (not to my attacks anyway) and Yi came running through and ulted him. I just can't get kills with this guy -.- it's annoying lol

LlamaXore

05-10-2011

I don't think i've ever had that problem.

Malz is by far my favourite champ, he is pretty much just pure damage and his ratios are through the roof! His high damage is offset by his lack of escape and squishyness however.

Usually i start with a mana gem and 2 hp pots (or tome if i think it will be a hard lane) then skill QEEW then R > E > Q > W building gem into an early ROA for some added tankiness and manapool then just stack AP

just get used to timing your Q, it's a great move to kite around enemies, throwing an E on them whenever you can.

ImTheBestYo

05-10-2011

the tactics and builds are in my opinion really good, please tell me differently if you think so, i play a very high elo malz and this is how i carry with malz.

now your just being rediculous, saying malz does no dmg and cant do a 1v1?? k heres how you should play malz, in a solo lane take control, dont max silence as its easily dodged, grab you max ranks in the dot, 1 lvl in the pool, and all the rest in silence, last hit hardcore, dont use ur dot on creeps becuase it just messes up ur last hitting, use that dot spell on your opposing champion, as it will do great dmg and they will either have to take alot of dmg or get zoned. malz should dominate his lane.

Next, teamfights ill go over gameplay an then items, malz is so good in team fights, he has pretty good range on all of his spells allowing him to stay back behind his bruisers/tanks. malz is made to kill ppl like xin garen udyr and all of those high hp high resistant damage dealers. focus them in team fights, when everyone is grouped up put down your pool and silence and ur dot, only use ur ulti when the time is right, no use ulting the tank or somone who wont die, ulti to save teamates or to keep theirs from getting away.

in a 1v1 situation it is so easy, if they get the jump on you just place the pool under them, use your dot, the ulti, then ignite, then silence, the only person who is able to survive this combo is a rammus who was in defensive ball curl before u atttacked, and for you to unload this on him in this state you deserve to die.

finally item builds, (again this is high elo) for this method of mine you need to be able to last hit like a beezy, as your first item grab dorans ring, oh and your masteris should be 9-0-21, after you go back grab boots (always) and if you can another dorans ring, do this untill you have 2-4 dorans rings and boots of lucidity, buy dorans rings until you feel comfortable with your health, after these items, rush deathcap, this will increase your dmg output trmendously, after this you can go 2 ways, rod of ages or rylias scepter. depending on if you need the mana or not, then grab archangels staff, then on the rest build what you feel that you need, ie if they are a heavy caster team, grab abby scepter, if they high dmg team grab zonyas hourglass, and if they stackin mr, grab void staff.

thanks and give me feedback!

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2011

You have to soften up the baddies. I max out the Visions first since it is great for farming, getting mana back, and damaging the enemy in a reliable manner. It also does very high damage relative to its mana.

Take 1 point however in the nullzone and AoE Silence.

You then alphastrike the baddie when they are HALF HEALTH or so. You dump the Visions on them first, then put a Pool under them, do the aoe silence on them, and use your Ult.

This deals a ton of damage and they really ought to die. Note that you can cast Ignite on them while your Ult is ongoing without issue before they can flash off or whatever if needed.

Items are pretty standard since he is a decently scaling mage. I personally start with boots and 3 health pots. A dorans ring is tempting but you would have NO WAY to recover life and are an easy victim for harassment. Your range is ok but not spectacular unless you are trying to land your AoE silence at longest range (which wont do much).

I then grab a Catalyst and upgrade to Rod of Ages for mana, toughness, and AP. I then get a Negatron cloak for defense which I upgrade to an Abyssal Scepter eventually for a good 50 points of magic pierce with sorc shoes and runes.
Deathcap is a given for massive AP.
I don't have a big need for cooldown reduction, but I will take the Evil Tome next as it is very efficient. One could take Deathfire as an alternative.

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2011

Try this Malzahar Guide

Pregnaloons

05-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaXore View Post
I don't think i've ever had that problem.

Malz is by far my favourite champ, he is pretty much just pure damage and his ratios are through the roof! His high damage is offset by his lack of escape and squishyness however.

Usually i start with a mana gem and 2 hp pots (or tome if i think it will be a hard lane) then skill QEEW then R > E > Q > W building gem into an early ROA for some added tankiness and manapool then just stack AP

just get used to timing your Q, it's a great move to kite around enemies, throwing an E on them whenever you can.
This is exactly how I play it. Although I find my skill order 5th point a little variable, if I know my enemy has a flash, or can see they have some great prediction of my ulting them, I will grab another Q instead of W, because keeping it at lvl 1 does no damage, and if they are good enough to avoid your W+R combo they are probably avoiding your E jump harassments. Other than that though, the way he says is it perfect, there may be other ways of playing Malz, but that way is super solid and while doing this, you will dominate your lane, farm up SERIOUSLY fast, and be an amazing powerhouse mid-late game.

Also, remember to use your ult to gank other lanes at lvl 6 if you can't get your own, the suppression will almost always guarantee you a kill or two in a side lane with your two allies.

As a side note, go 9/0/21, grab mana regen blues and yellows, Mpen reds and hp quints. Grab a tear as your first item from blue crystal, then you can play so blatantly aggressively that you should take your tower with a few minutes of getting tear. It's ridiculous. At lvl 6, you should have tear, blue buff from the jungler (along with the 150mp/5 that you will have from it), a kill, and soon a tower.

Some other tips are
- Get a point in Q first and use it 3 times at the spawning pool as you buy, then your first cast will get a minion out for your initial harass and possibly team fight at their blue or something.
- Get tear soon as and then be VERY aggressive.
- Only cast vision on a low hp creep early game, and be aware that if the next jump is a cannon minion, it probably won't last through it.
- Visions and CotV (plus auto attacks early on) on the caster minions will usually kill them from lvl 3 onwards, and often jump onto the enemy hanging behind them.
- Classic W+R combo does HEAPS of damage, Q straight after, and E if you can before and after.
- If you leave casting a visions until the enemy won't be able to get out of jump range, you can get a mana reduced harass without them noticing it to avoid.
- DON'T LANE AGAINST ANOTHER MALZ. Not sure if they fixed it, but there is an annoying bug that means 2 visions don't work well in proximity, and only 1 jumps.
- If the enemy looks like they are coming in to harass you, Hit them with a Q, they will almost always back off, if they don't, you just got a harass, and a few free auto attacks, just be careful of ganks.
- Flash into R can get you that final kill that they aren't expecting.
- You can cast ignite while ulting BUT the range is shorter then your R, so if you only JUST got into ult range, and then use ignite, you will cancel your ult to walk close enough to ignite them. This is a very annoying and embarrassing thing to do!
- A Hextech Revolver gives you great staying power in lane, and makes grabbing blue on your own that much safer.

Items you should want
- Tear (later into AA)
- Hextech
- Rylais
- Morellos
- Rabaddons (zhonyas if they are massively AD)
- Boots of course

This turned into far more detail than I expected, hope it helps!

iDuhlan

05-11-2011

Good news, you're doing something wrong if you're failing 1v1 situations, which means you can be helped!
The difference between Malzahar and other mages is other mages pop their ult and blow their cooldowns on their target.
Malzahar however, is like preparing a fine cuisine when you fight. Every spell must do it's part in the combo to prepare his ult, which is useless without Null Zone. His combo is too easy to escape without the silence from Call of the Void, and his damage before high amounts of AP is lackluster without the aid of Malefic Visions and his Voidling.
Another thing about Malz is you need to assess battles.
"Is their carry/assassin going to dash to me? do they have much CC? Should I commit to a fight and leave myself vulnerable with my ult casting?"
You should be asking yourself those questions as you play Malz beyond the laning phase, as a failed combo is a dead Malz (or useless if your combo didn't work). Once you're sure you have a target (preferably a soft one) Burn him down with your spells, making sure you cast your ult on top of Null Zone, then retreat and resume bombarding the enemy team with Q's and E's.

As for 1v1 situations, as long as they don't have cc you will win. As they auto attack you to death they will be perfectly still, so you can just cast your Q to silence them, plant a null zone beneath them, a Malefic Visions if you feel, and then ult them. This usually does enough damage to kill anyone from my experience.

Your build should go like this:
Dorans ring
Sorcerers shoes
Catalyst the Protector
Deathcap
Banshee's Veil <- 100% necessary since you're vulnerable during your ult
More AP from there. Because of Malzahar's enormous AP ratios a deathcap and enough magic pen is enough AP to carry the game. Most games where I get an early Deathcap end pretty quickly anyway.

Also, i'd recommend using smart casting to get your spells out quicker, giving them less time to react to your combo