My take on maokai

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GarnetJewel

05-10-2011

What maokai is. Maokai is a tank mage hybrid. He is most affective when played as such. His harassing ability and damage is naturally good but he requires melee range for his full combo. Unlike some tanks he can't build all defence and still do crazy damage

Summoner spells: Flash is essential on maokai. Flash+twisted advance lets you catch people or initiate onto the ideal target. For my other spell I use teleport so I can join team fights quicker but it's not essential

Magic pen quints
magic pen marks
flat mp regen seals (doesnt need armor that much sicne he has highest base armor in the game)
scaling mr glyphs or more mana regen

Masteries
I go 0/9/21
The best defensive masteries are at the top so I don't see much reason to go deeper
The reason I don't go 9/0/21 is because with magic pen from marks and quints
the affect of the magic pen talent is greatly reduced (since its applied after the flat magic pen)

Item build:
My first purchases are 2 dorans rings. It's incredible on maokai. He gets unlimited to harass with, more damage on harassing, and the 200 hp synergizes with his passive. His built in flash and high range also allow him to be comfortable without boots

Next I buy merc treads. This are pretty much the best boots for tanking.

Next I buy blasting wand, chainmail, and negatron cloak. If your ahead you buy the blasting wand early, otherwise you get the chainmail/cloak early.

After this you Abyss Scepter and Frozen heart. These items will raise both your tanking ability and make your spells hit harder and more often.

After this get a rydali's (start with the giants belt). This is another good tank/mage hybrid item and helps you cc. Skip the item if your team is losing, you will need to get more tanky instead.

This should leave you with the merc, abyss, heart, and rydalia. After this you get situanel items.

increase tankiness with thornmail,sunfire, bv, or aegis
or if your team doesnt need a tank as much will of the ancients

early game:
Maokai is great 2v1
If you 2v2 the ideal partner will be an assassin with poor farm.
Harass with sapling toss and do your full combo on an enemy if you see a chance
Once you get both dorans and a few ranks in sapling toss it can destroy caster minions at full hp making him a great farmer. Don't be afraid to use your other moves to farm as you will have lots of mana with double dorans.

mid game: push lanes and gank. use teleport to pop into team fights

late game: during team fights initiate onto a squishy with twisted advance and drop your ult onto them. This will force the fight to take place in the middle of your ult. Protect your team mates with q.

forestgeno

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-31-2011

in 90% of the games i play i play as a tank. ive tried everyone, and theyre all so different. alistar, which seems to be a huge fan favorite, is not as great as maokai or rammus. out of 9 games with maokai i won all 9, having a positive kdr in every game, sometimes a + 7 ratio. if you lane with someone like ryze who also has a snare its impossible to lose that lane unless youre a bad player. he deals huge damage, his sapling toss is so underrated since it requires more skill than the average skill shot, and his ultimate is used for defense only on almost all the players ive encountered. i got a double kill 3 times by using his ultimate to get an escapee. as a main tank player maokai is a top tier tank. with a snare that gets him in the middle of things, an ulitmate that drastically helps his team, and a sapling toss that, when it chases people provides a good laugh, how could he not be one solid tank?

I usually go dorans ring on almost all tanks. for maokai i usually move into mercurys, followed by rod of ages. i go with ap/health/armor/magic resist items, trying to have ap in almost every item i get. he can lane forever with his sapling toss and ultimate and his harass is one of the best where you dont even need to get remotely close to the enemy.

i feel that once people start realizing maokai can really dish out damage and keep alive in the process hell become more and more used.

Something Snazzy

05-31-2011

Mao really shines in laning with a strong early game ranged character and shutting down a lane. For example, Mao + Ez/Cait/Corki. Mao has some CC and tankiness to protect a squishy ranged character and he can harass people under a tower with his sapperlings. Mao late game can be kinda weak but a good Cait/Mao with the right runes can easily zone, harass, outrange a tower, get kills and take a tower very very early in the game. Having a bad late game isn't so bad if he can shut down the tank/support in one fell swoop.

Stacking a couple Dorans rings is definitely viable against the right lane comp but his game really is dependent on a strong early lane phase. This makes his first few buys of utmost importance. I usually switch between Doran's, Merc Treads, Tear, Ninja Tabi and Chalice. Switch em up based on who you lane against. I've seen a few good Mao's build Catalyst instead of Tear. I usually prefer going AA with Mao though. Anyway, the whole idea is to counter what is in your lane and/or the jungler/mid. Laning against some CC and mixed damage? Grab two Dorans followed by Merc Treads. Laning against a Yi and Alistar combo with Olaf jungling? Grab a Ninja and Chalice. Laning against a weak early game like Vlad/Amumu? Grab the Tear followed by Treads

Powerstoned

06-01-2011

9/21/0
rush a RoA, then build for tanking. If you don't, that nice little W he's got is gonna get you killed when your enemy hits you back, and it's enough AP to do some damage. HP is Maokai's friend, not regen

Look at W as a taunt you bring to them.

W + Sunfire(item 3) + Abyssal(item 4) does a serious hurting

Umie

06-01-2011

after about 200 games with Mao, i can tell you for sure... he is not a tanky mage. Galio is a tanky mage. Mao is simply a magey tank: he has spells instead of meleeing stuff.

with Mao, you core items are: catalyst (after u start with sapphire), merc's, giant's belt, and glacial shroud. never rush an epic item until you have all 4 of these. once u upgrade these items into RoA, Rylai's and Frozen Heart, respectively, then you should go for Thornail (if there are AD champs), or Banshee's and whatever else gives you more health. if youre owning the other team, Lich Bane to pwn towers and for speed bonus

Mao has two roles (and only 2): early game he is a ganker; mid and late game, he is a pure tank - your purpose is to ult at the right time, chase people down with your CC, stay alive and initiate.

basically, you never wanna have mana regen items or AP items that dont give +health on Mao. Mao's AP scaling is horrible, abilities cost a lot of mana early game so your best bet is to actually get flat mana bonuses and port back to regen until you get catalyst + shroud. Mao's abilities do next to no damage after maybe lvl 12 or so, and youre really there to support your team, chase and finish off opponents.

Mao is a support tank.

Dark1Magician

06-02-2011

I have tried your build so far its awesome Thank you

Bumbah

06-02-2011

9/21/0
Tank runes
Rush catalysts for RoA and BV and you're golden. Build for more survivability/AP/utility afterwords

Twisted Advance at level 1 is SO powerful. Almost a gauranteed FB if you let your lanemate know who's getting rooted.