What's the flow in high ELO game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2010

A picture is better than a thousand word, so I'd love a link to a video. Failing that, I still have some questions:

Is there still a laning phase? If so, for how long, and how is it done? Do people kill each other a lot more, or do you expect less mistakes, hence less deaths?

What signifies the beginning of the ganking phase? How do teams usually split up?

How fast, and when, are towers being destroyed?

What's the flow of the late game push? 5v5, then the winning team push a tower, or are there lots of other popular strats?

At what time, what level, and how do people normally go about killing creeps for money/buffs?

Thanks.

GuyGin

03-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocolatl View Post
A picture is better than a thousand word, so I'd love a link to a video. Failing that, I still have some questions:

Is there still a laning phase? If so, for how long, and how is it done? Do people kill each other a lot more, or do you expect less mistakes, hence less deaths?

What signifies the beginning of the ganking phase? How do teams usually split up?

What's the flow of the late game push? 5v5, then the winning team push a tower, or are there lots of other popular strats?

At what time, what level, and how do people normally go about killing creeps for money/buffs?

Thanks.
I'd kinda like to know this too. I'm not "high elo" I don't think, but I constantly play against people with hundreds of wins and are level 30.

In early games, it was not uncommon to see someone go 20-5-10 or similar. Now in games they are often decided with fewer than 20 kills. Though I always pub it, and sometimes teams that gank heavily win, often team kills aren't the deciding factor in the game (in fact most that I have lost we had a teammate that took it upon himself to try to solo lanes while the rest of the team was pushing and in a futile 4v5 or 3v5 teamfight.)

I'd like to know if it continues to change at higher elo games as well.

Kragorn

03-11-2010

Try Messiah's livestream:

http://www.solomid.net/livestream.php

Watch on demand for older videos.

puzzletrocity

03-11-2010

Its really fast and a small mistake is costly. People mostly know what they r doing and everyone is there for a team fight. Turrets can be taken down easily so u always have to pay attention to the minimap. There are man ganks and u gotta be careful of stuns like in every game. If there is an ace it can almost be game ending depending. Also when in team fights people are targetted quick and people actually buy sight/wards/oracles for invis champs. I cannot say that certain times people do certain things because you never know what is happining and every team is different.

EasymodeX

03-11-2010

I don't necessarily play in high elo, but I can shed some light using what I would consider my most "advanced" games.

Quote:
Is there still a laning phase? If so, for how long, and how is it done?
5-10 minutes. Place a ward at the enemy neutrals before level 1. Place a ward in the river at level 4 for anti-gank.

Quote:
Do people kill each other a lot more, or do you expect less mistakes, hence less deaths?
Less mistakes and less deaths. LoL is very forgiving in terms of get-out-of-jail cards compared to other games of this genre. Flash, cleanse, ghost, exhaust -- they all make this game a joke to escape with at low levels. If you die in the early game, you did something fundamentally wrong.

Also, skilled players are generally more map-aware and more strategy-aware, resulting in way fewer deaths. Some of the games where the most skill was packed onto both teams (and no one randomly sucked) had like 8-10 kills at the 30m mark for each team. Early game would consist of 1-2 deaths-by-gank. Midgame would net another ~5 deaths by teamfight.

However, this depends also on the strategy and champ composition of both teams. If both sides have heavy initiation, and lesser escape capabilities, then it's easy to end up in a situation where 9 players die every teamfight. Particularly if people are willing to engage because both teams have carries that they intend to feed.

Quote:
What signifies the beginning of the ganking phase?
Depends on champion composition and strategy, but no later than level 4-5 sidelane / level 6 solomid. Aka, solomid gets ult. Or, jungler gets red/blue. Or, your Shaco is level 1 with red pot and lizard buff.

Quote:
How do teams usually split up?
Rarely. Only when 4 players are doing a containment strat on the enemy team, while the 5th pushes a side lane. Or, 4 players are re-positioning and the 5th is grabbing a buff (this is where errors happen).

Quote:
Whenever possible. First tower should be dropping no later than 15:00. Tower can drop at 5:00 or 10:00 if someone makes a lane mistake and there's a 3v1 or 3v0 situation in a sidelane.

Quote:
5v5 ambush in the jungle, 5v5 cluster**** at a tower, 4v5 containment +1 push are the only things .

Quote:
Aside from early game jungling and stuff, buffs and dragon are acquired 5-man style while in-transit from one 5v5 gank location to another.

bc87

03-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocolatl View Post

Thanks.
many of your questions are fluff.

If you want a video, there is justin.tv

You can find LOL livestream there.

bc87

03-11-2010

Quote:
Laning phase is for leveling up, once some towers go down (usually top or bottom), players will move to other lanes, especially mid.

Quote:
Some very good teams go all 5 on a single lane to kill a tower. Don't think in terms of "phases". People will gank as they see fit.

Quote:
Depends , if you have range physical champions, you'll have an easier time pushing towers.

Quote:
Late game push is usually killing inhibitors

Quote:
Some lanes have enemy creeps piling up, so people go to those lanes and kill all the creeps with aoe skills or auto attacks.

Sometimes you kill jungle creeps while on your way to another place.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2010

I've always wondered--how do people get the Lizard buff at level 1 anyway? Does the entire team just gank up on it?

Also, if there are much less deaths--does that mean most gold comes from farming minions/creeps? (Seems like Plentiful Bounty or Kat's passive suddenly become a much larger part of income pool). How many items do people normally get?

Thanks for the tips, guys.

EasymodeX

03-11-2010

Some champions can solo the lizard buff (cough Shaco cough). Otherwise, yes, team effort can make it easy, although in many cases that's a dead giveaway of a lizard-buff-Shaco-inc.

Most gold still comes from tower kills, the dragon, the initial $ you get off of creeps while laning, and then lategame/midgame $ comes from the dragon, baron, and team fights.

In most games I've played in the last few weeks ... an "endgame" build is like 6-7000 gold. Aka boots (1k), random mid-tier item (1.5k +/-), 2 potions used at some point (600), 1 high tier item (3.5k +/-).

Beyond that point any subsequent items are irrelevant because the game has been mostly decided, and further cash is fluff.

roninsm

03-11-2010

There is actually a different flow to high ELO pubs (even with premades) than there is to tournament play (at least from what I have seen). Your best bet is to watch the solomid.net livestream someone linked above.