Mordekaiser - Stuns, slows and range. How to deal with it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoneWithTheWind

06-28-2010

Recently I got fed up with the fact that, a lot of times, it seemed I was ending up in zero Tank groups, which, all too often, led to our team losing (I freely admit, I am really not as good as I wish I was, but I'm trying my best).

One round I was pushed into picking Morde up, since no one else would play a tank, and my team assured me I would do fine, and, well, the champion is huge fun, but I found that Stuns/slows and range are deadly enemies, at least for the first 25 mins or so, until I am decked out. So, how to deal with it?

Ryze can pretty much shut Morde down, same with a few others, especially if they have a good partner, which makes me extremely squishy and vulnerable, with little to no counter but staying with my tower, which, I feel, diminishes the potential of the champion, and pretty much reduces him to a glorified tower guard, instead of lane pusher.

How to deal with that?
Same wish Ashe, who can just widdle my shield down in no time at the beginning.

The question is pretty much: How do I stay alive and effective during the earlier parts of the game, while faced with stuns and high damage burst damage? Suggestions are welcome.

(No, 'Play Shen' doesn't count).

Freedom Fries

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2010

You can pick Cleanse, it does help. And never fight without creeps around you (not yours, but theirs) so you can keep your shield up, it can help you soak more damage.

Mr Geppetto

06-28-2010

*whittle

You have friends, like defensive runes, masteries, and a ranged laning partner.

Being ranged is an advantage over being melee. Deal with it. If you have to lane defensively, deal with it.

What do you mean by "effective?"

GoneWithTheWind

06-28-2010

I tried to take Cleanse along once, which had team mates curse at me and queue dodge, which pretty much made me give up on that. I'm usually running with Ghost / Ignite.

Of course I try to stay with creeps around me. Just helps little if they stun me and burst me down. :/
Ryze/Pantheon was especially hard to deal with. Sion's stun is pretty killer as well.

GoneWithTheWind

06-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Geppetto View Post
*whittle

You have friends, like defensive runes, masteries, and a ranged laning partner.

Being ranged is an advantage over being melee. Deal with it. If you have to lane defensively, deal with it.

What do you mean by "effective?"
It seems most of the times the opponent team focuses straight on Morde, ignoring my laning partners. For example, one fight was Twitch and Morde (me) versus Ryze & pantheon, and we pretty much got nowhere, because twitch could do little to stop the two as they got me, it seemed. Another time was Olaf and Sion, and I was teamed up with Teemo, who could do little either, when I got stunned/slowed, so we mostly ended up hugging the tower.

I also recognize that a lot of times I get abandoned by my laning partner at level 5-6, and am somehow supposed to stop two champs with heavy CC/burst/tanky abilities on my own, which usually leads to a quick, painful death.

That said, I know I am inexperienced with the champ, and make mistakes, hence, me coming here to ask for help with some of the biggest problems I seem to have with Morde.

zhenn

06-28-2010

sounds like you are not being aggressive enough.

When you are on the run, your shield is not charging up. Although ryze and pantheon is a very deadly team to go against. But even if you die, you should still deal heavy damage to those two in the process and a competent twitch should get at least one kill out of it. maybe even two if he time his slow and expunge right.

Remember, if you don't die before your soul siphone cd comes up again, you can potentially gain another 100-200 hp, while dealing the same amount to the enemy, giving you the edge. Alot of the mord I see fail because they are not taking into account cooldown and underestimating their survivability.

Lawful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneWithTheWind View Post
It seems most of the times the opponent team focuses straight on Morde, ignoring my laning partners. For example, one fight was Twitch and Morde (me) versus Ryze & pantheon, and we pretty much got nowhere, because twitch could do little to stop the two as they got me, it seemed. Another time was Olaf and Sion, and I was teamed up with Teemo, who could do little either, when I got stunned/slowed, so we mostly ended up hugging the tower.

I also recognize that a lot of times I get abandoned by my laning partner at level 5-6, and am somehow supposed to stop two champs with heavy CC/burst/tanky abilities on my own, which usually leads to a quick, painful death.

That said, I know I am inexperienced with the champ, and make mistakes, hence, me coming here to ask for help with some of the biggest problems I seem to have with Morde.
Problem is that probably you suck and Twitch to a lesser extent.
Twitch will not take the initiative or harass against panth ryze since they have higher range, your there to take the beat for him while he pops behind you and unloads shots.
Generally lanning with a good Twitch is awesome, its not like having that useless evelyne that can't do anything except stun, hit for 50 then run back, lol

c00L3r

Banned

06-28-2010

Quote:
I tried to take Cleanse along once, which had team mates curse at me and queue dodge, which pretty much made me give up on that. I'm usually running with Ghost / Ignite.

Of course I try to stay with creeps around me. Just helps little if they stun me and burst me down. :/
Ryze/Pantheon was especially hard to deal with. Sion's stun is pretty killer as well.
Try to use Ghost/Exhaust . Then you will be able to slow and run from enemy, or even counter-attack and kill him. Ignite helps only when enemy is on low hp. And dont forget to take masteries for your summoner's spells.^^

Gnashe

06-28-2010

Quote:

Anyone that queue dodges you when you pick cleanse is probably a person that you wouldn't want to play with anyway.

Ruler of OZ

06-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashe View Post
Anyone that queue dodges you when you pick cleanse is probably a person that you wouldn't want to play with anyway.
I've seen posts on the forum of people complaining that Cleanse is too OP. I don't go ANYWHERE without my cleanse.