[Guide]Heimerdinger - Exploiting Advantages to the Fullest Extent

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bellicus

03-10-2010

Intro:

Well, I'm Bellicus, and I decided to make this guide. Why? Well, I wanted to claim my "strategy" that I use with Heimer before anyone else copied it from me and decide to spread around the way I play Heimer. By that, I mean the build I use with him. I didn't copy it from anyone and I haven't seen anyone else using the same kind of build I use on him. I've played 40 games with Heimerdinger, more wins than loses, more kills than loses. He was my first champion I've used on LoL by the way, so when I started out, I pretty much sucked but eventually I got to surpass my deaths and losses. Anyways, I hope you learn something from me.

Skills:

Passive
Techmaturgical Repair Bots
Heimerdinger gives nearby allied Turrets and Champions 6/12/16/22 health regen per 5.
Pretty useful. All i gotta say bout it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

H-28G Evolution Turret
Heimerdinger lays down a machine gun turret. This turret gains experience from attacking units and can level-up, gaining boosted damage and armor. Heimerdinger constructs a Machine Gun Turret with (240 + 14 x Lvl) health and 20/26/32/38/44 (+0.25) damage. Max: 2/3/4/5/6 Turrets.
Evolution Turrets upgrade every 7 attacks, gaining additional damage and armor.

Cooldown-32 seconds
Cost-120/125/130/135/140 Mana
Range-250

The unique skill of Heimerdinger; you think of him, you think of his turrets. This skill is can be turned into a safe zone, base turret saver, surprise attack, and is basically like Heimer's real attack damage in a 1v1 instead of those millions of wrenches he throws. More about this in the 'Strategy' section.

Hextech Micro-Rockets
Heimerdinger fires a number of Champion seeking missiles, hitting random champions within its super long range. Heimerdinger fires //// champion seeking Micro-Rocket(s). Each rocket deals 90/150/210/270/330 (+0.8) magic damage.
Cooldown-20 secondsCost-70/90/110/130/150 ManaRange-20 Your great, harasser, awesome skill of power. It's strength, it's long range, but it has a big cooldown rate on it. More about this in the 'Strategy' section.

CH-1 Concussion Grenade
Heimerdinger lobs a grenade at a location, dealing damage to enemy units / turrets as well as stunning anyone directly hit and blinding surrounding units. Heimerdinger tosses a grenade, dealing 80/135/190/245/300 (+0.7) magic damage to enemy units and buildings, and blinding non-turrets for 1/1.5/2/2.5/3 seconds. Enemies who are directly hit are stunned for 1.5 seconds.
Cooldown-14 secondsCost-80/90/100/110/120 ManaRange-1,000 A pretty good spell, with its decent damage yet long ranged, big radius and blinding effects, as well as its unique ability to attack base turrets.

UPGRADE!!!
Passive / Active: Passively increases Cooldown Reduction; in addition increases Heimerdingers and his Evolution Turret's Attack Speeds. Activate to heal and upgrade one of your Evolution Turrets to lvl 2 to gain Ur'Anium Rounds, or lvl 3 to gain Explosive Cartridges. Passive: 10/15/20% Cooldown Reduction.
Active: Target an Evolution Turret to heal it, double its attack speed for 10 seconds, add 200 Health, 10 damage, 10 Armor, and upgrade it to:
Lvl 2: Ur'Anium Rounds - Basic attacks reduce armor & magic resist by 1.
Lvl 3: Explosive Cartridges - Basic attacks deal AoE damage.
Cooldown-60 secondsCost-100/100/100 ManaRange-280 Have you noticed that this skill is in all caps and has not one, but THREE exclamation points!? Yeah, the details is copied directly from the Game Database and it still retains its form in game. Do you know why? Because this skill simply kicks too much ass. Using this on a turret is like a Master Yi.

Skill Buildup:

That ends our skills, but what about our buildup? To me, each skill is EQUALLY good, but for this strategy I'll be teaching you, it will be this build (since i use it 95% of the time):

Lv1 - Evolution Turret
Lv2 - Micro-Rockets
Lv6 - Upgrade!
Lv11 - Upgrade!
Lv16 - Upgrade!

What's with the skips? Well, it will all be answered in the 'Strategy' Section.

Mastery:

I'm a noob at this mastery tree stuff, but I would say to go for a 9/0/21 build up; your 9th point in the offensive tree going into the 15% penetration is a must. I'd go for mana regen, cool down reduction, and that gold+ skill.

Runes:

I would go for ability points that goes up as you level up to 18 in the blue section; instant health gain in the yellow section; magic penetration in the red section; quintessence, I'm not sure.
Take note that I'm a complete noob in this section also.

Summoner Abilities:

Top 2 Choice:
Flash - A get away skill. It's a must.
Teleport - Heimer is slow. He needs this. The 'Strategy' section will go into some depth about these two abilities.

Others:
Rally - Powers the **** out of your turrets while recovering them. Nuff said. Pretty good, but I'd still choose Flash and Teleport over this.
Heal - Heals you, can also heal turrets. Not that useful on Heimer compared to the other three skills.

Strategy:

Alright, so we're finally here! Let's begin!

Lv1-7ish
First Weapon Choice:
Go for the Meki Pendant. Get some potions if you want. Mana Regen is a must.

Once you do that, you teleport to the base turret of your lane. Yeah, you heard me--You TELEPORT NOW.

Skill point right to your Turret Skill.

Low/Top Lanes--Build 2 Turrets in the grass nearest to the turrets, but at the opposite end of them as fast as you can. Put them close to each other. They should be where the minions clash. If one or two enemies find you, your turrets will decrease their health by a good amount.
Middle Lane--Build a turret on each side of the minion's path. It should be in range of where the minions will clash.

Tactics:
-Keep building turrets in the grass if are destroyed.
-If your minions push, build turrets on your enemy's side of the grass to the edge nearest to their turret.
-If they somehow push, do not build turrets.
-Be conservative. Do not suicide, dive into enemies. Run away if an enemy is running after you. You must survive until lv8. It's essential.
-Once you've pushed your minions into their base turret, you attack it for as much as you can. If an enemy stuns you or you're in a desperate situation, use flash in the direction of where your turrets are (if you got none, you should be in the grass building turrets while your minions are fighting the base turret)
-Mid Lane--You should try to advance your turrets forward. Build turrets on each side of the minion's path.
-Upgrade turrets when you can.
-Throw a concussion grenade at an enemy if it tries to chase you. Use "lead-shooting".
-If you decide to fight an enemy (which should never be done unless you're alongside your turrets), save your rockets until you're almost dead, your opponent is almost dead, or your opponent tries to run away. Rockets have high cooldown and should be a last-second thing. If you try fighting an opponent and first used rockets, they will know that you don't have anything else to fight with except for turrets (if you're even near them) and a high-cooldown grenade. Saving rockets easily scare people, especially when you harass them with it and show off its power.
-When fighting an opponent, you concussion grenade should be one of the first attacks to hit them.
-If you see a teammate running from a enemy, blast a Rocket to scare them. If they come after you, throw a grenade and run.
-If you have your turrets all built in a location (doesn't have to all be upgraded to the max), try pushing your lane harder. Once you do that and you and your minions are attacking the enemy turret, build a turret in front of you so it will also shoot alongside with you. Once your turret almost dies, repair it so its health is regenerated to take on more hits as well.

Notes:
-Once you reach lv2, you SHOULD have almost full MP bar. Put you skill point into Rockets. Harass your enemies with rockets whenever you have over 2/3 of your mana bar.-Get your Upgrade skill as soon as you can.
Important Note
-Upon lv3, if both of your turrets are alive, put a point into turrets and build another turret. If not, put a point into a concussion grenade.
This shall determine your skill point distribution. If all of your turrets are summoned, put a point into your turret skill if you can. If you can't, or if they're not alive, put it into Rockets. That means you're upgrading grenades last.

Lv8-14
Alright, it's getting into the middle of the game.

At this point, you should be low on mana and/or health, with 1k gold. Recall.

Item Build for this duration:
-Upgrade Meki into a Philosopher stone.
After future recalls, get STRAIGHT KAGE's PICKS. YOU HEARD ME. KEEP BUYING KAGE PICKS UNTIL YOU HAVE 1 SLOT LEFT FOR OPEN (Which should be by lv16-ish)

Teleport to where your lane is.

Notes:
-Heimerdinger is a man of patience. The only champion of patience. Kage's Pick is an item of patience (as so is Philospher's Stone). Get it? They're the perfect things for each other. Get as many Kage's Pick as you can when you can do a quick recall-then-teleport-back.
-You should try helping other lanes if they need to be defended.

Lv15-16
So it should be near the end of the game. You should have a philosopher's stone and 5 kage's pick. If you have enough money for that 6th slot, buy a blasting wand and save for a Rod of Ages. Buy it if you can.

More Tactics:
-You should be pushing middle lane alongside one or two teammates. Build and repair turrets when you can. It will greatly advance pushing. Opponents will try to kill you; keep a "flash's distance" from them at all times.
-Recall when noone is near you; these levels are 'ganking' levels.

Lv17-18
Once you hit 17, follow these item guidelines:
-Buy a Rod of Ages when you can and if you haven't already.
-After that, your ability power should be over 200. You can now farm at bigger rates and have a much bigger burst power.
-With a Philosopher's stone and 4 Kage's picks, you will gain a pretty fast rate of money. Once you get 3200 gold (which, by the way, will not take a long time at ALL), sell your philosopher's stone and get a Zhonya's Ring for more power.
-Your next priorities:
Rylai's Crystal Sceptor/Deathfire Grasp (Makes Heimer less squishy; big power; makes your long-ranged rockets and grenades slow people, a GREAT combination)(Deathfire Grasp adds a powerful skill-like ability Heimer and give you a nice cooldown; you should upgrade a Pick into this)
Lich's Bane (To add into that burst power)
Abyssal Sceptor/Void Staff (You can get whichever before the other)(You should be running out of Kage's pick and have a low gold income; a high powered item with low cost is good at the end)

If you noticed Heimer doesn't have boots. He won't need them because of his turrets, flash ability, and it wouldn't make much of a difference at the end of the game and it will greatly interfere with our quest for Kage's Pick early in the game.

Well, that brings an end to my guide. Hope you even read it. Have fun.

Concretar

03-11-2010

This is a nice guide, I like how you stack Kage's Picks even though in my experience, Heimerdinger is already one of the most intensive minion farmers and doesn't really need money. -EDIT: I just read how silly that sounds, 'and doesn't really need money'. What I meant was, with the kind of minions you could be farming you'll be stocked to the rim with awesome items before your Picks have put out a lot of loot. I'm not sure if this is a unique build since a lot of characters experiment with stacking money-boosters.

The strategy is solid and well thought out but I'm afraid that you're not the first to use it - it's quite defensive and I imagine most Heimers adopted this (general) playstyle before people found out he can be an offensive weapon too. I've seen my brother use the same turret setup in the lanes and I'm sure I've been killed by saved-up rockets before.

The versatility is good, adapting your Heimer as the game progresses is well thought out. The only thing that really bugs me is the Rod of Ages at the end of the game - to me it's mostly an early-game item because it takes a while to give you any real boost.

ManOfTheRushHour

03-11-2010

Interesting guide, one thing I do question is the actual time you do get Rod of Ages..it takes 15 minutes to gain the full effect/stat bonuses from it, and I just do not see a game lasting that long from the time you get it until the time the game ends.

Bellicus

03-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concretar View Post
This is a nice guide, I like how you stack Kage's Picks even though in my experience, Heimerdinger is already one of the most intensive minion farmers and doesn't really need money. -EDIT: I just read how silly that sounds, 'and doesn't really need money'. What I meant was, with the kind of minions you could be farming you'll be stocked to the rim with awesome items before your Picks have put out a lot of loot. I'm not sure if this is a unique build since a lot of characters experiment with stacking money-boosters.

The strategy is solid and well thought out but I'm afraid that you're not the first to use it - it's quite defensive and I imagine most Heimers adopted this (general) playstyle before people found out he can be an offensive weapon too. I've seen my brother use the same turret setup in the lanes and I'm sure I've been killed by saved-up rockets before.

The versatility is good, adapting your Heimer as the game progresses is well thought out. The only thing that really bugs me is the Rod of Ages at the end of the game - to me it's mostly an early-game item because it takes a while to give you any real boost.
Thanks for the response,
-Well, from my experience, stacking Kage's Pick would get you 2000g+ items all by 40min without even being fed. Kage's Pick can be a pretty slow rate of gold, but it works for me at least.

-My guide is to aim for highlighting Heimer's "cheap shots" (besides the build I use), I'm sure other Heimers use them too. I still have two other tactics that I'm going to implement soon, by the way.

-Stacking Kage's Pick, as long with using the money building level skill and combined with your ordinary gold-per-sec and excluding minion kills can get you 7g a second. That's 420g a minute. Though my build will take longer than if you go straight for a RoA, you won't have all of these gold earning items which will increase your revenue by a LOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokusaisha View Post
Interesting guide, one thing I do question is the actual time you do get Rod of Ages..it takes 15 minutes to gain the full effect/stat bonuses from it, and I just do not see a game lasting that long from the time you get it until the time the game ends.
I get it by 30min usually. Earliest was about 24min-ish (by feeding). Hopefully your team isn't losing by then, and unless your team is a bunch of feeders it shouldn't be because one of the tactics in my guide states to make defense a priority in the middle to late of a game.

68iOweYou1

03-11-2010

wtf? no deathfire grasp? lol why not especially since your stacking kages

and all you have is rockets + grenade, deathfire is essential i believe.

Bellicus

03-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by muaythaiftw View Post
wtf? No deathfire grasp? Lol why not especially since your stacking kages

and all you have is rockets + grenade, deathfire is essential i believe.
ffffuuuuuuuuuuuu-

Ebonclaw

03-11-2010

Going to offer some constructive criticism, please don't take it too harshly -

A) There is not a single champion in the game that can get by without boots. Least of all, someone like Heimer who has no built in escape ability. Maybe, and only, in very low levels of play. Very low. Like newbie island low. If this strat works well for you now, and gets you wins, soon enough, it won't, for this reason alone.

B) You never want 6 gold/5 items in your inventory. It takes like 13 minutes for Kage's to break even at the point of sale. That means you're either going to run around for 13+ minutes before buying a real item, or you're actually losing money. Also, against experienced teams, you won't be allowed to thrive for that long without doing something to enhance your survivability (see A), whether that's boots or HP, or armor, or MR.

C) I've tried out some Heimer on my smurf account (practice practice practice!), so against much weaker players than I normally face on this account. However, time and time again, if I got a little turret base started to siege a side lane, very little time passes before someone shows up to take it out with AOE, or with a quick kill on me. Granted, Rally can do nice things for turrets I suppose, but it has a 6 minute cooldown. In most cases, if you survive the first attempt by using Rally, all you're going to do is piss people off, and they will come back to get you without your buff.

D) At the outside, 17:30 is approximately the latest time that you want to buy a gold/5 item, regardless of how many you have. At this point, they will not be paid off until 30:00+, which incidentally is around the latest you ever want to buy Rod Of Ages to hope to make it cost effective.

Bellicus

03-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post
Going to offer some constructive criticism, please don't take it too harshly -

A) There is not a single champion in the game that can get by without boots. Least of all, someone like Heimer who has no built in escape ability. Maybe, and only, in very low levels of play. Very low. Like newbie island low. If this strat works well for you now, and gets you wins, soon enough, it won't, for this reason alone.

B) You never want 6 gold/5 items in your inventory. It takes like 13 minutes for Kage's to break even at the point of sale. That means you're either going to run around for 13+ minutes before buying a real item, or you're actually losing money. Also, against experienced teams, you won't be allowed to thrive for that long without doing something to enhance your survivability (see A), whether that's boots or HP, or armor, or MR.

C) I've tried out some Heimer on my smurf account (practice practice practice!), so against much weaker players than I normally face on this account. However, time and time again, if I got a little turret base started to siege a side lane, very little time passes before someone shows up to take it out with AOE, or with a quick kill on me. Granted, Rally can do nice things for turrets I suppose, but it has a 6 minute cooldown. In most cases, if you survive the first attempt by using Rally, all you're going to do is piss people off, and they will come back to get you without your buff.

D) At the outside, 17:30 is approximately the latest time that you want to buy a gold/5 item, regardless of how many you have. At this point, they will not be paid off until 30:00+, which incidentally is around the latest you ever want to buy Rod Of Ages to hope to make it cost effective.
A)I don't see the point of using boots when all I do is camp near turrets and teleport. If I'm ganked, I usually go all out.
B)Time goes by with Heimer. I usually have 5 2k+ items by 45min.
C)Harassing is the key.
D)Well, when I play Heimer, the games would either last longer due to my constant defense or will end short because the other team is in deep ****. Only time when your team loses early is when they're all feeders.

Ebonclaw

03-11-2010

You don't have to address my points. Like I said, each of them will become more and more of an issue, as you continue to win, and face more and more experienced opponents.

It's obvious that you won't (and have no reason to!) change your behaviors just because someone whispers a warning to you. I just thought you deserved to know where to look when you begin losing ground on the competition.

Bellicus

03-11-2010

Well, I'm just defending myself.
I'm lv25, I face other high leveled opponents and even what I do works great against them. I can only recall twice that my death count has went over my kill count and that was when I would get ganked by 3 people all at once early in the game.
What I do works a lot for me.