Alternative Cardmaster Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zYn

08-27-2009

Okay so I've always played an AP cardmaster. I know that wild cards was slightly nerfed, and the new suggested items build is currently a non-AP set of items.

I wanna hear some more input on it though, atleast by those that have tried and had success with these types of builds.

I normally played around my Wild Cards, using it to farm my lane incredibly well with a ridiculous range last-hit...and when I had time I would harass enemies...my main focus was always farming though. I would build some kage's picks and keep farming till I had zhonya and start to unleash my death cards of doom lol. Farm lichbane next etc. etc.

Now I played against another cardmaster (I was Zilean at the time) who hardly built any AP items, and when I asked him why he responded with "He only has 1 skill that revolves around AP" I started to reconsider how I played him.

TF has a natural increase to crit chance. So this guy farmed up an infinity edge, phage, beserker boots, and some other items...was critting like a beast and was particularly strong. He made good use of his Pick a Card, and while he used Wild Cards it was hardly a spam.

Thoughts?

Irony

08-27-2009

Try having him as...i guess an assassin like character

What i mean by that is focus on his damage, attack speed, and slowing with a Frozen Mallet or w/e that things called

That combined with his ulti, imo, makes a pretty good DPS character and chaser

Mr Tibbers

08-28-2009

Irony has it right. Focus on Pick a Card. I used PStone, like normal, but then diverged into Zerker's and 4 Avarice's. From there I took it to Infinity and PD. From there, any damage item should be awesome. Spam Pick a Card early game, especially on heroes. If you think about it, it effectively increases your attack by 1/4 and has a chance to slow/stun. What's not to love? I did, however, find that people had an easy time just barely getting away. I suggest trying Mallet as well.

Xl

Adjudicator

08-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tibbers View Post
I did, however, find that people had an easy time just barely getting away. I suggest trying Mallet as well.
Press R, teleport in front of the person getting away, kill them, profit!

Basically, this is how he used to be played - Pick a Card-focused teleporting ganker. It was way more fun than Wild Card spam.

Mr Tibbers

08-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xel View Post
Press R, teleport in front of the person getting away, kill them, profit!

Basically, this is how he used to be played - Pick a Card-focused teleporting ganker. It was way more fun than Wild Card spam.
back when Pick A Card dealt random damage instead of random effects, yeah. Now it's debuffed (in the eyes of the community, I have yet to come to that conclusion myself), most just use Wild Cards. It's unreliable, easy to dodge and hard to aim in the forst place. Not a very newb friendly build, imo. Anyways, they got away after I tp'd in in the first place, making tp'n to block them impossible. Trust me man, way ahaead of ya.

feardragon

08-28-2009

This is what I've concluded from my experience with playing TF.

Wild card: it CAN be alright if you're good at predicting. For example, the last game I played in(I've been using a different item build every game I've played so far) I focused on AP and cast time reduction, with a rush tear of goddess so I would never worry about mana early game(in late game I had more mana than I knew what to do with because of it). My wild card did about 600 damage by the time I hit level 18 and I think I have a 20% cooldown lowering. The result of the game?

I died 3 times(I use the flash summoner's ability since he's so squishy. That and gate(with his ult in gank situations) make him really hard to kill)
I got 17 kill assists(seriously? wtf. >>)
I got 0 kills(lol...)

I don't know what to say about getting 0 kills. I could make excuses in that I was mainly playing to show a friend the game(it was his first time playing), but I assure you I was dealing good damage. But the real issue was, I couldn't chase anyone down. Maybe that's because I just wasn't playing him with the right mindset or I didn't want to teleport too far into the enemy territory. Either way, wild card is not reliable for getting the kills against a decent opponent who knows how to not walk in a straight line. The only way you're going to get the kill like that is to have awesome prediction skills in which way they'll swerve.

Also one more thing I'd like to note. Pick a Card(even as a PURE AP build) helps a ridiculous amount in taking down turrets. It easily doubles the rate at which you and your creeps take down a turret. Use it no matter what your build is!

I think Twisted Fate(cardmaster) could still be a decent character with an AP build(wild card is amazing for lane pushing since creeps line themselves up for you!), but when it comes to PvP you have to be really good at two things: 1) predicting where the opponent is going to move to avoid your cards, and 2) you have to be great at running around IN enemy territory. I fail pretty badly at that and when I take risks like that I usually end up dying.

But I've been hearing a lot about trying for Critical builds so I think I'll give that a shot for the next couple of games. =]

Mr Tibbers

08-28-2009

Lols. He crits like mad with a DPS build, trust me. Though, if you take a look at my post, I never said AP was bad. In my eyes, both are as good as the other. I play DPS because aiming Wild Cards isn't always easy. I don't like dealing with teammates yelling at me for my aim, no matter how good I'm doing. So I'd rather surprise everyone and go Pick a Card. I gotta say though, I get flamed for that too. People tend to be like, "OMGWTFBBQ, U N0OB! PCILZ A CARD>!WAT!>"

Oh! Don't forget the attack speed. NEVER FORGET THE ATTACK SPEED. >.<The more hits you can get in in that little time frame, the better. Assuming your luck sucks and you never get off a red or blue card (or your luck is good, that's a lot of bonus damage) you'll be hitting an extra ~50-60 damage each hit.

Ydriel

08-30-2009

Yesterday I tried both a DPS and AP build, and I can't see what's all the fuss about the mad stack of AP. I mean, sure, Wild Cards can surely pack a punch and has great range and is way spammable, but it's easy to dodge and hard to chase with. For the people who love the build and mastered the skill, great, but a DPS build can be just, or possibly more, effective IMHO. Pick A Card it's xtra damage with a % of stun, and with good attack speed and some crit chance, you're going to see criticals all over the place, and will help land those xtra stuns.

Mr Tibbers

08-30-2009

Exactly mah friend. Exactly. I just tpd in and managed to kill 2 enemies out of 4 with no help last game while being wailed on by all of them. Now that's ba.

Ydriel

08-30-2009

Haha, nice. Gotta say, after trying out that dps build, TF has become my favourite champ so far xD