Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Cooldown Tank Janna Build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yngve Zephyrous

03-09-2010

I am working on a cooldown tank build for Janna, but I don't know if it's effective, any tips?
(PS: I don't build the items in this order necessarily, I build off of the smaller items first.)

1. Frozen Mallet
2. Mercury Treads
3. Frozen Heart
4. Thornmail
5. ??
6. ??

I never get to build items for the last two slots. XD

Xyirx

03-10-2010

When you build her as a tank, she's also a support like when you're building her as AP. It's just that her damage output is pretty much lesser than that build. However, you get the toughness and survivability to spam your spell effects to save your friends.

Janna can't be the best tank but she can be a tough disabler. Frozen Mallet and Frozen Heart can be pretty useful for slowing enemies stuffs down. You can also add some more CDR items like Soul Shroud (HP for survivability and cooldown for your own team), add in Guardian Angel for double life or add in Force of Nature/Banshee's/Warmog's. Basically anything that give you a lot of health and reductions to damages. However, you should prioritize her CDR first. My support tank build I used to play was:

- Soul Shroud
- Mercury Treads/Ninja Tabi
- Warmog's Armor
- Guardian Angel/Frozen Heart
- Banshee's Veil/Force of Nature
- Spirit Visage or probably some potions/wards/elixir to survive in teamfights.

Thornmail is not a bad idea against burst DPS as well. Frozen Mallet can always replace the 5th or 6th slot in my build as you will help your friends to slow enemies down, but I don't really use it.

wildfire393

03-10-2010

Frozen Mallet seems odd on a champion with a mediocre autoattack and no other physical items. Also your champ already has several methods of slowing and delaying the enemies, making it less worthwhile.

Also, you have lots of armor between Frozen Heart and Thornmail, but nothing in terms of Magic Resist. This will make you incredibly squishy to any spellcaster.

Yngve Zephyrous

03-10-2010

Quote:
wildfire393:
Frozen Mallet seems odd on a champion with a mediocre autoattack and no other physical items. Also your champ already has several methods of slowing and delaying the enemies, making it less worthwhile.

Also, you have lots of armor between Frozen Heart and Thornmail, but nothing in terms of Magic Resist. This will make you incredibly squishy to any spellcaster.

I recently started throwing in a Banshee's Veil, too. And Mercury Treads have +30 Magic resist.

banduan

03-10-2010

Lifting this out of my guide (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=28131)

SEMI-TANK BUILD

items: Dorans ring, Mercury Treads, Catalyst of the Protector > Banshee's Veil, Aegis of the Legion / (Heart of Gold), Glacial Shroud > Frozen Heart
skills: Max Zephyr, then Max Eye, then Max Monsoon as soon as possible, Max Gale last.

When your team lacks tanks or has low survivability you're basically in trouble, because Janna is fairly squishy. However, she can be a real pain to kill anyway because of her skills, so what you do is become the team Aura monger while acting as a deputy tank. This both adds a bit more survivability to the team roster and help your lame tanks perform better. It doesn't matter if your team-mates already have the same aura, although it might be a waste. Redundant auras are useful in case one carrier dies. Monsoon is your most critical spell and you basically run into the fight spamming gales and attracting attention and press R when the team is in trouble.

Heat n Serve

03-10-2010

I went up against a Janna today that went Frozen Mallet/Frozen Heart and she was a huge asset to the team. She kited people all day, and was able to chase and slow. It is a very effective build. She ended up 2-3-14 and a victory.

I could see Nashor's tooth replacing the Frozen Heart for less tank & more damage/dps.

Yngve Zephyrous

03-10-2010

Quote:
Heat n Serve:
I went up against a Janna today that went Frozen Mallet/Frozen Heart and she was a huge asset to the team. She kited people all day, and was able to chase and slow. It is a very effective build. She ended up 2-3-14 and a victory.

I could see Nashor's tooth replacing the Frozen Heart for less tank & more damage/dps.

Isn't it ironic that one of Janna's default recommended items in game is Frozen Heart?

I've thought about throwing in Nashor's Tooth before, but if you want better DPS, it might be better to just build Janna as DPS. I've noticed that splashing your build tends to weaken it on both sides. I don't think plus 30% attack speed will benefit Janna much without also increasing attack power and crit. strike.

Frozen Heart decreases enemy attack speed and grants you 99 armor, which in a way helps counter DPS itself, since more than less DPS champions rely on physical damage.

However, a bit of DPS couldn't hurt, and I might consider throwing in Wit's End. +40% attack speed, but also +30 magic resistance to help out the tank build.

EmperorCookie

03-10-2010

Quote:
banduan:
Lifting this out of my guide (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=28131)

SEMI-TANK BUILD

items: Dorans ring, Mercury Treads, Catalyst of the Protector > Banshee's Veil, Aegis of the Legion / (Heart of Gold), Glacial Shroud > Frozen Heart
skills: Max Zephyr, then Max Eye, then Max Monsoon as soon as possible, Max Gale last.

When your team lacks tanks or has low survivability you're basically in trouble, because Janna is fairly squishy. However, she can be a real pain to kill anyway because of her skills, so what you do is become the team Aura monger while acting as a deputy tank. This both adds a bit more survivability to the team roster and help your lame tanks perform better. It doesn't matter if your team-mates already have the same aura, although it might be a waste. Redundant auras are useful in case one carrier dies. Monsoon is your most critical spell and you basically run into the fight spamming gales and attracting attention and press R when the team is in trouble.

I'm sorry but I won't listen to any build that starts off with DORAN'S *whatever*. What a waste of money when you think of it. You can get first blood with or without, the difference is too... Small... Be skilled and you won't need DORAN to help you.

looney

03-10-2010

"Tank" build:
Grab Aegis first no matter what opponents you have.

Then, if Physical dps > Frozen Heart + Ninja Tabi
If Magical dps > Banshee Veil + Mercury Treads

The game should be over soon, due to Janna's abilities to sustain and help pushes (shield + aoe heal).
If not, add in a Guardian Angel.