[Champion Select] Selin, the Shattered Mind

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Persequor

03-09-2010

Selin, the Shattered Mind

Lore: Selin was once a prodigal wizard, one who sought the most powerful spells in Valoran to sate his thirst for knowledge. Unfortunately, his search brought him to the mystics of Ionia, to gain the power of spirituality they held there. Sensing danger in Selin, The high priest there was reluctant to teach Selin his ways. Enraged with the Priest's dismissal, Selin attacked the priests there and forced them to give him the secrets of their magic. The high priest, in his dying breath, cast a powerful spell, fragmenting Selin's mind into parts so that no one part could ever control the vast power he now commanded. Only a few of his newly formed minds could ever surface at once, locking his power away. Though separated by magic, all of the parts of Selin's mind focused on one thing... Power. 'They' traveled to the greatest nexus of it; The league.

"What are you talking about? only two of us are schizophrenic!"

Stats:
Health - 378 + 85 per level
Mana - 230 + 55 per level
Health Regen - 0.9 + 0.12 per level
Mana Regen - 0.92 + 0.10 per level
Move Speed - 310
Attack Range - 550
Magic Resist - 30
Armor - 11.5 + 3.2 per level
Critical Strike - 2.0 +0.35 per level

First, to understand Selin's Skillset, you should first understand how he works. Selin has 7 skills total, two skills that are bound to Q, two that are bound to W, two that are bound to E, and one bound to R. Only four skills are ever active at once, and when you cast a skill, the skill in that slot rotates to the next skill in line. For example, At the beginning of the game, you can pick the skill bound to W. When you cast that skill, it goes to the next W skill, W2 (which share cooldowns), when you cast that, you go back to the first skill, W1. and it repeats like that, for each skill except his ultimate.

Passive - The Shattered mind - Whenever Selin casts a spell, a random one of his Personalities will have its cooldowns and mana cost reduced by 40%.

Psychosis - Q skills - shared 8 second cooldown

Q1 - Manifest Anger - Active - Selin ravages an area in front of him with his anger, dealing moderate damage to all enemies in a cone.

Q2 - Manifest Disdain - Active - Selin ravages an area in front of him with his disdain, burning a moderate amount of mana from all enemies in a cone, and restoring a percentage of the burned mana to all allies within the area, including Selin.

~~~~

Delirium - W skills - shared 22 second cooldown

W1 - Warp Reality - Active - Selin warps the area around him, pulling all enemies within range towards himself over 0.3/0.5/0.7/0.9/1.1 seconds and dealing a small amount of damage.

W2 - Warp Perception - Passive - Whenever Selin casts a spell, all enemies around him are slowed by 3/5/7/9/11% for 3/3.5/4/4.5/5 seconds, which stacks up to 5. Activate to instantly stack the slow to 5.

~~~

Narcissism - E Skills - shared 3 second cooldown

E1 - Vitality Boon - Active - Selin boosts the energy of himself or an ally, increasing their mana regen and attack speed by 5/10/15/20/25% for 10 seconds, stacks up to 5 times.

E2 - Vitality Sap - Active - Selin saps the area around an himself or an ally of life, dealing low damage in an area around it and increasing the movement speed of the targeted ally by 7%, stacks up to 2/3/4/5/6 times, lasts 7 seconds.

~~~~

R - Glimpse Sanity - Active - Selin temporarily breaks the walls of his delusion, recombining his spells for 8/12/16 seconds. For the duration, Each spell cast by Selin will trigger both versions of the spell, and will not cause him to swap minds. (this also causes warp perception, if leveled, to be turned on for the duration)

Persequor

03-10-2010

changed Q3 and W2 skills to fit better into his skillset. post some feedback, please

LordLazarus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2010

A question.

If I've a point in all three abilities, and I use one, do all three cycle?

Example : I cast Q1, which then becomes Q2. Do W1 and E1 also cycle to W2/E2, respectively?

Persequor

03-10-2010

no, only the spell you cast will cycle to the next spell in line

Drathion

03-10-2010

this idea is complicated but very well thought out. I like.

LordLazarus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2010

Just one more question, if you will.

If you only advance the singular spell, why do you call it swapping minds? Wouldn't it make more sense to advance the ENTIRE list of skills? Unless your guy has ... I think it's 27 personalities instead of 3. My math sucks, I'm aware.

Persequor

03-10-2010

the idea is that he has 9 personalities, some are more linked together than others, so they are called in a set order by means of spacial recollection (ie, the act of him casting a particular spell causes him to 'remember' another facet of his personality, but forget the previous one). each of his personalities has a particular spell associated with it, except for his ultimate, which is more of an overarching spell than a personality-based spell.

swapping minds sounds better than 'rotating spells', thats just why i call it that. i could thematically link the three sets of spells to make that more apparent

Edit: and in fact, i did just that, i gave each set of 3 skills a theme so as to better convey their links and seperations.

LordLazarus

03-10-2010

Fair enough, good sir. Thanks for the answers!

I like your hero, especially the thought of your "Reflect Torment" spell, combined with a Thornmail, against an attacking Master Yi.

TheDeathstalker

03-10-2010

Pointless nitpicking, but multiple personality disorder != schizophrenia. Just sayin. Also, and I probably should have made mention of this earlier, but I hate all of you. I ended up with the one category that may only have 8 suggestions, but each suggestion has 3-4 heroes worth of skills in it... *sigh*.

Anyways, interesting idea, many personalities, etc etc. Dollhouse did it better, but I'm not gonna complain. Much.

Judgment, I choose you!

1 - [40 marks] Original mechanics and elegance
7/40 Harsh, but read carefully. It needs work.

Divided into:

[4 marks]: Passive.
1/4. No passives have AP scaling. If you feel your passive needs to grow stronger with level, you're doing it wrong and have missed the point of a passive. Likewise you weaken the argument for its existance by giving it a pitiful range at the start, but late game, when you would more likely be more mobile, it has a larger range. It should have a constant range, and if, IF, you feel it needs to grow more powerful, simply increase the damage.

IMO, it's a bad idea for a passive too, damage on the passive is a bit meh. Go for Mpen or something interesting.

[4 marks]: Skill 1.
1/4, The only really worthwhile ability is Question, and it can't be relied on because you only get it once (at a max) of every 24 seconds, and you have to cast two other useless spells to get to it. To be fair, Whispering Madness is not worthless, but should be dropped for something else. Either it deals a ridiculous amount of damage if they are pushing, or it does nothing in a normal circumstance. Paranoia, however, is worthless. I don't think I really even need to explain why, but if so, just ask.
[4 marks]: Skill 2.
2/4. Not so bad, but the fact that there is 0 consistency in the spells is the main detractor. For that reason, I'm not gonna bother explaining each spell just yet
[4 marks]: Skill 3.
1/4. See notes for Skill 2
[4 marks]: Ultimate.
2/4. Passable, but there is one huge problem: You're attacking the player and not the champion here. That's a nono in game design.
[20 marks]: Skillset/Playstyle.
0/20. Sorry to say, but you missed the point of having a unique skillset. The goal is not to just spam all the random abilities you came up with into a single hero. It is to make a hero that sacrifices some measure of predictability for variability. To do this well, each skill (say, Q) need a similar purpose, target, and aiming. If things change powerfully from one skill to the next, it is a mental disconnect for the player, dragging them out of the game.

Gaming 101 teaches us that if I press a button, the result of that button press should be what I expect it to be. You break this with your hero. Fix it and we'll talk, but as for right now... it just doesn't work. Look at your competitors, see how they did it. There is an art to this, and it can be found. Ask for some help, I'm sure people will give it.

2 - [10 marks] Role and versatility
2/10

Divided into:

[5 marks]: Does the hero fill its roll well?
0/5 What role?
[5 marks]: Is the hero adaptable?
2/5 Adaptable... sure? But not reliably.

3 - [12 marks] Synergy
6/12

Divided into:

[4 marks]: Skill synergy.
0/4 None that I see, and again, definitely nothing predictable
[4 marks]: Ally synergy.
2/4 Maybe, but unreliably
[4 marks]: Item synergy.
3/4. CDR? AP? I really don't know.

4 - [18 marks] Balance
15/18

Divided into:

[6 marks]: Skill Balance.
3/6. Even perfectly balanced, he's only useful up to 50% of the time. And he isn't perfectly balanced to begin with...
[6 marks]: Item use Balance.
6/6 Sure, why not.
[6 marks]: Teamwork Balance.
6/6 Won't be used much though...

5 - [10 marks] Theme
10/10

Divided into:

[3 marks]: Does the hero fit in the LoL world?
3/3
[5 marks]: Is the hero original and consistent?
5/5
[2 marks]: Is the heroes Lore (if applicable) creative?
2/2

6 - [10 marks] As A Whole (The judge can give a few extra points based on how much they like the champion as a whole, rather than judging on a specific aspect)
0/10. See above

Total Score: 40/100
Verdict: Needs work. Needs lots of work. Call in some help.

Persequor

03-10-2010

duely noted. although, i never said the MPD was schizophrenia :P, the schizophrenia ultimate was as a result of him being MPD but *shrug*. i will be refining this hero.. will i be able to resubmit/regrade it when i am finished?