Looking for something similar...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sneaky Thing

05-06-2011

I've mained Jax for as long as I've had him, which is nearly as long as I've been playing LoL.

I LOVE his playstyle, and he's so intense to play, timing everything, getting that stun right on the edge of the range, or popping your ult right before that nuke's combo hits you.

I'm looking for something else, though, since winning all the time gets kind of old, and I'd like to add some variety to my repertoire. (I don't actually win ALL the time, but Jax is a pretty mean pub stomper.)

I bought him for his particular flavor (mysterious mercenary whose primary attributes were super mobility and master of any weapon spoke to my soul) but I loved his playstyle.

Unfortunately, it seems like the best way to play his is sort of a niche skillset.

What I want is someone with a similar playstyle, but filling a different role. The way I see it, there's tanky DPS (Jax), ranged [read:squishy] DPS, tanky caster, nuke caster, support caster, AP tank, and straight tank. Jax most closely fills the role of tanky DPS, but is also a counter to other DPS characters.

If anyone familiar with Jax's playstyle could direct me toward a champion of another category with a similar feel, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, so if it isn't could you please direct me to where I should post this?

iP1ayJarvan

05-06-2011

if you're after the RNG related chars, GP and Trynd are pretty much your type (both are critters, jax is a dodger). both are carries like jax though, its hard to maintain a similar playstyle with a different role, like as a tank you always die first, as an assassin you go in last and pick off the leftovers, etc etc. Like you said, jax is a bruiser and a carry, his role and playstyle would probably be similar to other bruisers.

LightANSEL

05-06-2011

Give Malphite a try this week.

He's pretty sturdy, has decent burst damage for a tank, and he's pretty good at chasing down people, if need be.

He is not as strong, will rarely carry a team (though I have seen it), and will die (and be expected to die) more often than Jax, who is not expected to act as a tank.

Kassadin would be worth a try, as well. Like Jax, he can do AP or AD pretty well, he needs good timing, and he can chase down anyone caught alone. He can't take on groups as well as Jax, but if fed, he can easily carry. He is not quite as strong as Jax, but he can fill more roles (certainly nuke or support caster, AD or AP carry, and I am playing with the idea of using him as a tank) depending on exactly what your team needs.

They are not exact matches, but these champs both match decently well for filling other roles in a team.

TheUntzBus33

05-06-2011

I think the most simlar champion to Jax is Udyr. Both of them are dodge based, have similar mobility mechanics, are solid offtanks, and can potentially carry games. Udyr and Jax have their own respective playstyles obviously, but the general idea is the same.

*Udyr has the ability to shield himself with turtle stance, kind of similar to Jax's ult.
*Udyr, as he uses his abilities, increases his chance to dodge with mechnics similar to Jax's passive ult (just defensively for Udyr, rather than offesively for Jax).
*Udyr's tiger stance works similar to Jax's passive ult, but instead of increasing attack speed over time, it bursts damage and then slows down (so Jax's ult in reverse).
*They both also deal both AP and AD damage, which would use hybrid builds you may already be used to. (Although Udyr these days is more AD based)
*Udyr's bear stance gives him faster move speed and a stun on attack, giving you a mechnic similar to jump/proc stun on Jax.
*Both are beefy bruisers that have the potential to carry games

The main difference between the two is that udyr is slightly more mana dependant due to the constant need to change stances. This requires slightly different itemization than your standard Jax builds. Both also have the capability of jungling, however Udyr is just flat out better at it.

Maybe apply your Jax skills and learn to jungle with Udyr? Adding jungling to your skillset will greatly enhance your understanding of the game Good luck

Sneaky Thing

05-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rch4ng3l View Post
if you're after the RNG related chars, GP and Trynd are pretty much your type (both are critters, jax is a dodger). both are carries like jax though, its hard to maintain a similar playstyle with a different role, like as a tank you always die first, as an assassin you go in last and pick off the leftovers, etc etc. Like you said, jax is a bruiser and a carry, his role and playstyle would probably be similar to other bruisers.
I own both champions, and the playstyle required for each of them is nothing like Jax's (in my opinion). I'm not interested in RNG, honestly. I love the mechanic on Jax, but that's not exclusively what I'm after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrellen View Post
Give Malphite a try this week.

He's pretty sturdy, has decent burst damage for a tank, and he's pretty good at chasing down people, if need be.

He is not as strong, will rarely carry a team (though I have seen it), and will die (and be expected to die) more often than Jax, who is not expected to act as a tank.

Kassadin would be worth a try, as well. Like Jax, he can do AP or AD pretty well, he needs good timing, and he can chase down anyone caught alone. He can't take on groups as well as Jax, but if fed, he can easily carry. He is not quite as strong as Jax, but he can fill more roles (certainly nuke or support caster, AD or AP carry, and I am playing with the idea of using him as a tank) depending on exactly what your team needs.

They are not exact matches, but these champs both match decently well for filling other roles in a team.
Hmm... I've never tried Malphite. I'll try him out immediately. Kassadin is a champion I bough early in my LoL career, too, but it was before I understood the game as I do now, and I failed miserably with him (it was after I had Jax, so I was far too agressive). I'll try him again.

Thanks, excellent suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUntzBus33 View Post
I think the most simlar champion to Jax is Udyr. Both of them are dodge based, have similar mobility mechanics, are solid offtanks, and can potentially carry games. Udyr and Jax have their own respective playstyles obviously, but the general idea is the same.

*Udyr has the ability to shield himself with turtle stance, kind of similar to Jax's ult.
*Udyr, as he uses his abilities, increases his chance to dodge with mechnics similar to Jax's passive ult (just defensively for Udyr, rather than offesively for Jax).
*Udyr's tiger stance works similar to Jax's passive ult, but instead of increasing attack speed over time, it bursts damage and then slows down (so Jax's ult in reverse).
*They both also deal both AP and AD damage, which would use hybrid builds you may already be used to. (Although Udyr these days is more AD based)
*Udyr's bear stance gives him faster move speed and a stun on attack, giving you a mechnic similar to jump/proc stun on Jax.
*Both are beefy bruisers that have the potential to carry games

The main difference between the two is that udyr is slightly more mana dependant due to the constant need to change stances. This requires slightly different itemization than your standard Jax builds. Both also have the capability of jungling, however Udyr is just flat out better at it.

Maybe apply your Jax skills and learn to jungle with Udyr? Adding jungling to your skillset will greatly enhance your understanding of the game Good luck
Man, I am TERRIBLE at Jungling. I've tried it with Nunu, Fiddlesticks, Shaco, Udyr, and Nocturne, and I just died repeatedly. I'm slow and I don't know when to gank.

But perhaps I'll give it another go... If that doesn't work out, maybe I'll try Udyr as a laner.

Fantastic idea, though, thanks.