Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What DPS champion should I try?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tholok

03-09-2010

Hello fellow players,

I have been playin LoL for a while now. I started out playing Yi and liked his late game dps potential but he is very weak early game and stays rather fragile later on. I played Sivir... which I liked and absolutely love tank-Nassus (my best win-loss ratio is with him). Recently I have been playing aura-support Soraka with good succes as well.

I consider myself a rather communicative player that is well aware of in game tactics but a little too slow/old for all the nimble fingertricks that are required for aimed skillshots.

I have 2 support and 1 Tank champion that I play well enough. I am now looking for a dps caster or dps carry to complement my choices. Which one(s) do you think would fit me considering the information given?

Any advice would be welcome...

P.S. I tried Twitch but somehow didn’t do very well with him... (too squishy)
P.S.2 I tried Annie and I liked her but had a hard time timing her stun in the middle of big fights... (me being slow again).

ZO KidKaiser

Recruiter

03-09-2010

seems to me like MOST if not all DPSer are squishy. which is probably one reason why they grab a lifesteal item. hmm. i think maybe Pantheon might fit into your style of a DPSer. he isnt all too squishy since he has tankish HP.

looney

03-09-2010

Jax (the best at the moment), also Pantheon and Udyr are tanky dps, maybe Poppy too she is similar to Nasus with better burst.

gun fu panda

03-09-2010

Carry Taric (for more support)
Jax
Poppy
Udyr
Trynd

Are all a bit tank-y if you like durability.

Tristana
Corki (has a skill shot though)
Kassadin
Ryze

are all squishy, but do A LOT of damage.

tehmonk

03-09-2010

if you've tried sivir and you like her, i'd recommend following up and perfecting her game. she's great on team support, i consider her ult one of the only game-changing skills in the game. that is to say, it can turn the game around on a dime as long as your team is there to back you up. she's got a couple of skill tricks that you have to learn to fully utilize her like spell shield blocking or harassing by ricochet.

she's pretty amazing all-around and not too squishy if you build her right. i like to push damage and attack speed immediately after getting her a disposable chalice and then going for survivability like frozen mallet or even a warmog's. you'll be getting a lot of attention as sivir if you're good. and her dps output is unique in that she can put out some of the highest aoe damage over the course of the game. also, she can clear a wave in a few swings and a crossblade so you should never have trouble farming.

i also like tristana for a dps carry since she's nigh impossible to harass given her long range and inherent ability to counter-harass. ashe for the same reason, even though i hate playing as her..(easy mode)

kass is an amazing ap carry since his ap scales so well and he's one of the most mobile heroes available. just don't try to rush the big ap first like rylai's or zhonya's. he does well late-game only if his early game is solid.

that is all. 2c.

RiskX

Recruiter

03-09-2010

try warwick for a change

Sarpati

03-09-2010

AP Sion is fairly tankish thanks to his high inherent HP, shield and 2 sec stun. Great burst as well.

Warwick can survive longer than most "DPS" champions as long as he keeps attacking.

Udyr has dodge, shield, movement speed and stun for survivability.

Zilean (Time Bombs ca hit over 800 damage thanks to the great AP ratio) obviously can survive very well as well, but he's still more of a support.

Twisted Fate has a great escape mechanism with Gold Card -> Destiny -> Gate.

Poppy, if built right, is extremely fast and her ulti helps her get a kill and get out very easily.

Tryndamere's ulti is awesome for escaping (I like chaining Spinning Slash and Ghost or Flash). And Bloodlust often provides enough healing that DoTs won't kill you.

If you don't go too crazy and save mana, Kassadin, albeit squishy, has a good chance of escaping a bad situation thanks to... well 3 of his abilities.

Gangplank is pretty fast and his ulti will save you more times than you can count.

Shaco can use his ulti to break things like Ryze's Rune Prison (and make sure Spell Flux doesn't kill you), or simply deceive away.

Dr. Mundo has high HP and an amazing ulti for survivability.

The list goes on. But if you want to achieve a bit more survivability in team fights and not just be able to get out of ganks/skirmishes alive, I recommend Sion, Tryndamere, Poppy, Zilean or Shaco.

Tholok

03-10-2010

Wow thanks for all the replies! Actually survivability, while welcome, is not my main focus. The point is that I want to stress what I believe I am good in (tactical awarenss) and avoid what I know I’m bad in... (quick reflexes and aimed skillshots).

I alreayd have friends that play a good Zilean, Sivir and Poppy so won;t get into these rifht now. TF seems great but looks like having some aimed skillshots and looks like he is really really hard to master. I’m interested in trying out Udyr (is he a bit like Nassus?).

I have recently seen a few warwicks that impressed me. Not only did they do okay themselves but they allowed another solo-lane to become really really powerfull by getting all the gold/xp to themselves. So I might definitely try warwick. He also does not seem to have a aimed skillshot and I like the idea to jungle. I heard he is quite useless in teamfights though... You guys think he is viable in competitive play?

Lots of people seem to advice AP sion so I will check out some guides on that as well. Though I have to take into consideration my current runes (Armour Pen/Dodge/Mana per 18/Flat HP quints). I can buy new runes (got 10.000 ip) but not indefinitely...

Thanks again for all the advice!
Tholok,[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

ubertappa

03-10-2010

OMG i cant believe no one has suggested teemo.

Yes he is a squishy lil ******* but get a warmogs/phantom blade and Infinity or cleaver with Bloodthirster and you rock

Sarpati

03-10-2010

Quote:
Tholok:
Wow thanks for all the replies! Actually survivability, while welcome, is not my main focus. The point is that I want to stress what I believe I am good in (tactical awarenss) and avoid what I know I’m bad in... (quick reflexes and aimed skillshots).

Ah, yeah. From the list I compiled, I recommend Sion, Dr. Mundo or perhaps Gangplank. Dr. Mundo does have a skill shot but it's one of the easiest to use, and missing it is not the end of the world (unlike Morgana for instance). Heck, if you don't consider timing his ulti "quick reflexes", Tryndamere is also pretty simple as long as you're decent at last hitting (helps you survive the early game).

Quote:
Tholok:
I alreayd have friends that play a good Zilean, Sivir and Poppy so won;t get into these rifht now. TF seems great but looks like having some aimed skillshots and looks like he is really really hard to master. I’m interested in trying out Udyr (is he a bit like Nassus?).

Yeah I don't recommend TF. The skill shots are easy (IMO), but timing Gold Cards in the heat of things takes some practice. Udyr is nothing like Nasus and although he's fairly simple, you need to stay calm to do good with him - getting the right stance at the right time can mean the difference between dying or not.

Quote:
Tholok:
I have recently seen a few warwicks that impressed me. Not only did they do okay themselves but they allowed another solo-lane to become really really powerfull by getting all the gold/xp to themselves. So I might definitely try warwick. He also does not seem to have a aimed skillshot and I like the idea to jungle. I heard he is quite useless in teamfights though... You guys think he is viable in competitive play?

He's great in teamfights, to be honest. If built right, his ulti does a lot of damage and will disable a key champion long enough for your team to finish it off (happened to me while playing Annie a few matches ago, during a few team fights I didn't manage to get a single spell off). If you do decide to play him, keep in mind that jungling is not always the best option. Jungling regardless whether it may or not may not be beneficial to your team is a mistake I see far too many Warwicks make.

Quote:
Tholok:
Lots of people seem to advice AP sion so I will check out some guides on that as well. Though I have to take into consideration my current runes (Armour Pen/Dodge/Mana per 18/Flat HP quints). I can buy new runes (got 10.000 ip) but not indefinitely...

Runes for him shouldn't be that expensive. Marks of Insight cost 410 IP a piece, if you want CDR you can save some IP by going Glyphs of Celerity instead of Focus (breaks even at level 13) and your choice of Seals and Quints would do fine with him. Then again, the only thing you really need to change are the Marks, as everything you have benefits him some way or another.

One thing I really like about Sion is that he's an effective counter to many champions others have trouble dealing with.