Tips for Galio?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ballew

05-05-2011

I've been looking on Mobafire and found some nice builds, but I want to know what you guys recommend for items and what not.

thanks i appreciate it

Wrajax

05-05-2011

Take a look at the guide on Leaguecraft called GGaliOP, it is the highest rated one on that site. It has a great guide for skilling up, strategy, farm, and items. One of the best guides I've ever read and following it will do great things for you. Haven't played Galio since the last time he was free, played one game earlier and went 7-0-11 or something.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2011

One thing you should probably keep in mind about Galio is that if you plan to use him in Normal soloqueue, it's a total crapshoot on whether or not he'll be of any use. Plenty of popular champions in Normal have auto-attack modification abilities that will ruin your ultimate, and if you use the guide that was suggested by Wrajax, you better hope your team is capable of assisting you when you Ult. That build will kill squishies all day, but if the enemy is smart and you got unlucky with the enemy champ selections, you could end up hurting your team's chances instead of helping them.

EDIT: The good news is that, of the free champion list, only Kassadin can stop you safely. Renekton will still have to get into the taunt radius to land his stun, Sona is forced to use her ultimate to stop you, and Malphite also has to use his ultimate to stop you. Unfortunately, both Sona and Malphite's cooldowns on their ultimate is shorter than yours, but sometimes them being forced to use them to counter your own can work in your favor.

Obviously, those are just the champions on the free rotation that could get in your way.

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2011

Check out this Galio Guide

IM B4TMAN

05-05-2011

Galio is one of the more rounded tanks. Hes not full tank nor is he full support but a mixture of both. Galio is THE tank vs AP casters thanks to his passive. Abuse this passive like its candy. I always start with nullcloak and I have full AP runes with Magic penetration. This gives me 62 AP on the start which is the highest among any AP champs I ever used. I build Mercury Treads first into Abyssal Scepter. Anything Magic Resist Belongs to Galio. If you need Armor, Frozen Heart is the way to go. Do not use Thornmail unless you are money deprived. Frozen Heart gives Galio a much needed cooldown and mana. And of course, a Rabadan Deathcap. Basically, abuse Resolute Smite because its your main damage dealer, gust when ganking for a quick run in and Ult when in critical situations. Remember to use his shield abiility prior to Ult to regain life when enemies are attcking you. Galio's Ult is without a doubt a game changer if used at the perfect time.

Dakkas

05-05-2011

Item build aside, what the guy above me said is pretty correct and I agree with overall. Galio has 3 abilities that you want to spam non-stop because they all have extremely beneficial impact in fights. Because he's designed as a support/tanky/initiatior, you want to take advantage of the support part because that is what separates him from all the other tanks in the game

My general item build is as follows
Mercs / Chalice (sell late game for GA or more AP) / Aegis / Banshees / Abyssal / Frozen Heart against most teams that have a mix of AP and AD. With that build, you will have around 200 AP and with a blue pot, you'll be near the max CDE so you can Q, W and E on cd. Also you'll won't have much mana woes, Chalice is good early-mid game and then Banshees and Frozen Heart satisfies it late game

Warrrrax

05-06-2011

In reality, no team is dumb enough to go pure AP/magical dmg. A tank can hardly afford to ignore their 1 or 2 AD carries either, so the anti-magic nature of Galio is way overrated.

Galio makes a fairly lousy tank because he isn't particularly tough or have any survival mechanism, nor does he have a knockup or disable really. He has 1 taunt on a HUGE cooldown that most enemies (with merc treads) can practically ignore.
He has a lousy shield with bad duration and 2 decent long range AoEs. None of this really screams "tank" to me.

He does make an adequate super-longrange AP caster though. He can stand in front and take much-reduced damage from their pokes (usually magical dmg), and poke them very effectively.

A chalice is perfect for him which solves his mana problems. Start with Meki+2 health pots and rush to chalice.

A soulstealer is a good pick because galio gets lots of assists (shied and 2 aoes) and has enuf range to avoid dying much. I dont like soulstealer in general, but Galio can safely take it.

Abyssal Scepter is very good for Galio and he gets much more than normal benefit out of it. Start with the Negatron, then upgrade to scepter.

Deathcap is a given for pure AP power.

Evil Tome or Deathfire are great choices for lowering his long cooldowns, adding more mana regen, and more AP. Deathfire adds an extra nuke (though very short range relatively speaking), and Tome adds more stats. I usually take tome.

I recommend Sorc boots over merc treads. Merc are very inefficent since you pay 400ish for the anti-CC which you will probably never use. Even with their MR, it isnt worth it. INstead, sorc shoes will boost your damage a LOT more.