Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What makes a good nuker dps?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Galgus

03-08-2010

I am a new player wondering if there is any way I can have a high DPS hero outside of bland physical damage.

Or, in other words, whats the best way/character to dps with spells, and how good is it?

Sometimes it seems like some bland vamp physical champion is the only thing that gets anything done.

EnderA

03-08-2010

As it stands, Jax is actually very good Magical DPS. He seems like a physical auto-attacker, but all of his abilities do Magic Damage rather than physical. If Evelynn was actually good, she'd be Magical DPS. Twisted Fate is somewhat of a Magical DPS (and amazing Map Control.)

Most other magical damage champions aren't damage per second, but rather a burst of magical damage. Annie's triple-combo is extremely deadly. Fiddles can reduce a team to a pile of corpses quickly with his ultimate + chain silence. Ryze can unleash the fury within. But after they cast those spells, they're left relatively naked, with them on cooldown. Hence, they're not DPS but rather burst nukers.

Many of the other magical champions are support, like Zilean. A charged up time-bomb does a *lot* of damage. But that's his only nuke, his other two effective spells are support/snare. Morgana has a sweet snare, but it's a skill-shot. She has a decent AoE damage skill. Her ultimate is fairly powerful. However, they all take time to reach their full effect. On the other hand, her spell-shield is an amazing support skill. And Soraka is pure support.

And then if you look at many of the physical damage champions, they have magic damage skills. Corki is a great physical DPS champion, but he also has a some good magical damage skills. Sivir has her boomerang. And Tristana has 3 magic damage skills.

Ultimately if a team is relying too much on one type of damage, then the opposing team can stack that type of defensive item. All nukers? Stack Magic Resist. All physical DPS? Stack Armor. Hence, you need to have a balanced team to be effective.

Kritara

03-08-2010

As a new player, your going to be in the low ELO brackets. Not to be offensive, but unless somebody made a smurf account to pub stomp newbies; all the heros are pretty effective at killing. Playing more and winning more = higher ELO brackets.(BTW ELO is how this game's match making decides who to put you against).

If higher ELO games, you see a lot less physical melee carries(i.e Yi, Tryd, etc). They're still around; but require a support hero like Kaeyle or Zilean to make them viable as squishies get focused very fast. Most games in my bracket have 1 tank, 2-3 disables/caster nukes, 1 carry and/or 1 support.

Now, moving onto what you really want to hear. For burst nuke dps, nothing bet's Veigar. A well farmed veigar makes any caster with a huge mana bar, tremble in fear. Problem is? He's a 1 minute wonder. He's very weak as smart players who see a veigar know they need to get mercury treads. With mercfury treads it's very hard for veigar to land a stun/ meteor.

Moving along; Kassadin. Since your new, I wouldn't suggest Kassadin, but in the right hands he is B R U T A L. He's got the highest potential survivability of any "caster" hero with his ult skill Rift Walk. He has very high burst with rift walking onto a hero, his silence ball, followed by a aoe slow attack. Very brutal, but in bad hands he's terribad.

Annie/Ryze are next. Both are good, and forgiving for new players. Ryze is the more forgiving of the two as he's easier to use. Annie has a more concentrated burst dps with disintegrate, tibber's drop/stun, and incenrate combo. Ryze on the other hand can ulti twice as much, turning each of his spells into an AoE bomb. Difference? Creeps can screw up Ryze's ulti rotation, while not Annie's. Ryze also has a disable on demand, while Annie does not. For a new player I would suggest Ryze; but Annie is that much harder to play.

Zilean- Gotta throw him in, but he's not really dps. He's more support. Now don't get me wrong, his bombs are MEAN. But people are going to hate you if your focused on droppping your bombs on people and not buffing your teams with the rest of his skills.

Kaeyle- Move along, she's a hybrid hero and I wouldn't suggest her to new players.

Heimer - Right now heimer's pretty broke sauce. He's extremly brutal early/mid game with his rockets. Late game unless he's really farmed he's kind of a hinderance to the team as his abilities have a really long CD.

karthus/Anivia- The top 2 6.3k IP champions. They're great, but for a new player(if your willing to sink the IP or RP) I would suggest Karthus. Anybody with 1/2 a brain can see oh he's got low health and kill them with Karth's Ult.(Which btw if you didn't know is a global, I hit everybody for such and such damage and lol at their QQ).

Anivia on the otherhand, is a much more intensive hero. She can be a real blessing to the team. She's the ultimate bait; people LOVE attacking Anivia. Because she has such low health. BUT she also a pheonix that every few minutes gains a buff that allows her to come back to life after a period of time sitting as an egg.(Note: you can be killed as an egg, and if you are; you won't be reborn). Anivia is much more of a team player.

I've gone enough into a variety of heros, and there's still I haven't covered. My best suggestion is play the heros on rotation. Find the ones you like and then buy them with IP. Not everybody plays the same, and not everybody has the same views on heros. How I see heros isn't what other players would see them as. So find out for yourself; enjoy the ride and don't worry so much about the destination. You'll get there soon enough.(Destination: Pro-Town Central)

Klazzix

03-09-2010

Just to answer your topic question, cooldown reduction.

EDIT: Seeing two informative posts above me, I feel ashamed.

Okay so aside from CDR, as a caster you'd also need a huge mana pool and survival items to live long enough to do some DPS. I believe this hasn't been said yet so yeah. Items you may want to check are Frozen Heart (mana, CDR, armor, carry debuff so you have more time to do some DPS) Banshee's Veil (survival, mana) some Magic Penetration (Sorc Shoes, Haunting Guise) blah, blah.

Kritara

03-09-2010

Quote:
Klazzix:
Just to answer your topic question, cooldown reduction.

To add on to that, 40% cooldown reduction is that cap. Golem buff @ level 18 gives 25% cooldown reduction I think.

FeLpZ

Recruiter

03-09-2010

mages played right will dominate; see,

zilean
ryze
annie
fiddlesticks

Galgus

03-09-2010

I tried Viegar- and in the end-game I was doing enough damage in bursts to down casters and seriously wound anyone else- but I was also dieing if anyone even looked at me funny- despite desperate attempts to get health increasing items.

I have played Twisted Fate the most- but his overall damage potential seems to be rather low- (especially for his low speed and health) whether I try attack boosts or AP- and thus his only redeeming traits are generally the pick a card ability and his teleport combo-albeit the cooldown on it is too long for it to have the reliability of other ultimates.

ctidesm

03-09-2010

Karthus

Kritara

03-09-2010

Quote:
Galgus:
I tried Viegar- and in the end-game I was doing enough damage in bursts to down casters and seriously wound anyone else- but I was also dieing if anyone even looked at me funny- despite desperate attempts to get health increasing items.

I have played Twisted Fate the most- but his overall damage potential seems to be rather low- (especially for his low speed and health) whether I try attack boosts or AP- and thus his only redeeming traits are generally the pick a card ability and his teleport combo-albeit the cooldown on it is too long for it to have the reliability of other ultimates.

His spell event horizin(which is his stun) helps to save him. And yes he is squishy; all casters generally are. That's why I usually get ghost/flash to maximize survivability. As for Twisted Fate's low damage. His skills do a decent amount of damage, obviously you should target champions with low health to get the most bang for yoru buck. However, with Twisted Fate's Destiny + Gate + Gold Card combo. He is a lean mean ganking machine. Just when the enemy thinks they got away, pick a gold card, pop destiny, gate to them and stun/wild card combo them for the kill. With this Twisted Fate snowballs very quickly, and becomes very strong.

Tiny Goliath

03-09-2010

ryze got the lowest health of all of them ... but if you good at it . you can kill any other squishy units before they kill you .. even if you at 100 hp