Soraka vs Sona?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oolune

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2011

I have Soraka and very much enjoy playing her when I'm not required to tank/carry. However, I've been starting to look into the possibility of getting Sona and maining her as my support. One way or another I know she'll be better support for certain teams to set up for good team fights with ult, but I'm wondering who the forum thinks is overall the better support of the two.

Sokar468

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2011

I have personally not played Soraka, so this is mostly from Sona's perspective.

Sona's heal is more for topping off champions in between fights or giving a little health boost during fights. You cannot choose whom the heal targets, and it will never be as much an impact as Soraka's heals.

Sona's contributions to the team are more subtle (though no less effective IMO) than Soraka. Yes, her ultimate can turn tides in team fights, but you have to be content assisting the team using aura-like abilities vs. Soraka's heals and silence/mana regen. Some players do not find this exciting. Her abilities also auto-target, which some players can also find boring, and it doesn't always give you the flexibility you need in a battle (like your Q not hitting the right enemy for the kill).

I suppose in the end it's a matter of preference and whether you find Sona fun to play. I think she can help a team out very nicely, even if it isn't as noticeable.

Xandune808

05-05-2011

I play Soraka and have no experience with Sona (hey this complements the previous poster!).

I have to be honest, I think Sona is a better support overall. In most games I've played, a good Sona outshines a good Soraka. Why? Sona's ult is a game changer. It can instantly result in a favorable outcome in a team fight. Soraka's ult, while very powerful, typically does not win you fights. Instead, it sustains fights and pushes. In other words, Soraka is extremely good at keeping your team fighting longer, which is good for pushing... but at the end of the day, during a big team fight, Sona's ult is just better imo. Another way to think of it is this: Soraka's ult heals everyone in the fight equally... but a good team will focus fire. So, against a good team, Soraka's ult isn't affecting as many players as you think, since typically it's only 1 or 2 people getting beaten up. That little burst of healing is helpful, but late game the burst is so strong that chances are the person you want to protect doesn't stand much of a chance.

Also, Sona's aura's are nothing to be scoffed at. Those things can really boost the team overall.

Soraka also doesn't have a hard CC like Sona does. Sure silence is great, but it won't do squat against an auto-attacker. It can't stop someone from running away either. Sona has a stun and a slow. Much more useful in team fighting/ganking.

The one thing I will say for Soraka is that she is fun to play. Again, I haven't played Sona much at all (only when she was free), so I can't say how fun she is... but I have friends who tell me she's somewhat boring :P

Sorbon

05-05-2011

The previous two posts were excellent observations in my opinion.

I'm a Soraka player, so keep that in mind if it's a concern.

Soraka's silence is absolutely nothing to scoff at. Early on it's free mana in lane for you and your partner, later on it's a long range instant cast channel interrupter. Katarina ult? Nope. Nunu ult? Nope. And just to put a footnote on the previous mention of it, it can stop folks from running away. No flashing, ghosting, deceiving, shun-poing, sanguine pool, what have you. If someone's near death and has access to something like that, silence away. It's not as versatile in combat as Sona's ult, but it's also not an ult! It has a much lower cooldown, etc.

Sona in a lot of ways is a lackluster Soraka. She has to be level 9+ (rank 5) to match Soraka's inherent +MR aura. She heals for about 70% the amount that Soraka does, in a "healing per second" model, even less in a burst, and HALF of it goes to herself. That's right, Sona can only heal herself 1/3 what Soraka can if focused. She can only heal her friend getting focused for 1/3 what Soraka can.

However, Sona shines with her good early damage, her AoE offensive ult (hello, team fights), and auras. Aura-Soraka is weaksauce compared to Aura-Sona. AP-Sona is weaksauce compared to AP-Soraka. If your team will stick together an initiate quickly, Sona is much better. Especially if you have someone like Morganna, Amumu, or Galio who can really use the quick stun setup, and then chain it with someone like Nunu, Pantheon, Twitch, or Gangplank. Easy team fights.

If you're spreading out, doing poke battles before team fights, or struggling to push post team fights, Soraka would have been better. She keeps everyone healed and someone infused for mana, and if she survives a team fight she'll enable the remainders to push like there's no tomorrow. She can heal at a long range and doesn't lean on auras to contribute damage/damage mitigation like Sona does.

I personally feel Soraka is better all around based on one thing. Sona is balanced around her ult. Her damage, damage mitigation, and utility are all weaker than her kindred supports. You can see why. An AoE stun is a dream come true in a team fight, especially when it's coming from a role that otherwise cannot turn team fights so (exception: if you have Morg fill the 'support' slot). Yet I see Sonas using it to snipe kills, escape ganks, catch runners, and out of plain old panic far more than I see it used to win team fights. Like I'd say somewhere in the range of 30:1, it's more likely used to compensate for a failure to kill, escape, etc, than to turn team fights. These compensated failures are largely because of her lower damage, damage mitigation, and utility.

If you're good enough to avoid most ganks, anticipate runners, and the team keeps from doing otherwise fatally stupid things... Sona will rule. She won't have to blow her ult to compensate for her weaknesses in other areas. Keep the team together and initiate team fights quickly on team Sona. In all other cases, stick with Soraka.

Xandune808

05-05-2011

There's no questioning that Soraka is a better healer than Sona. As Sorbon pointed out, in the prefight and postfight game, Soraka does better, since she's effectively nullifying any poking the enemy team can do. However, when the fight begins, Sona I feel contributes more than Soraka. This is particularly true late game, where the dmg becomes so great that people get burst down in seconds. No amount of healing can save people in a concentrated team fight late game. In fact, one of the devs is reported in saying that he feels sustained healing is bad for the game, which is why I believe late game is all about CC and dmg.

The silence Soraka has is extremely good. Heck that move alone is probably one of the best in the entire game! Still if I had to choose a stun over a silence, I'd choose a stun.

Also, Sorbon is 100% correct that most Sona's don't use their ult properly. When used properly, though, it's just flat out beastly. Heck you don't even need strong itemization to make it useful!

...which brings me to another point, farming. As a support, you are often paired with someone who is more item dependent than you are. Since much of Sona's power comes from her ult and auras, she is less item dependent than Soraka is.

This may be off topic, but the itemization issue is one of the reason why as far as supports go, I prefer Janna hands down. She's all about positioning and can be very effective with almost nothing.

vatrik

05-05-2011

it depends on your team, if your team already has a stunner, Amumu - galio - taric - sion Etc... play soraka since you don't really need a stun in this situation because they will stun that ulting kata - nunu Etc...

Lets say you are playing in a solo queue, I think sona is much more fun to play, I mean you can by all meanings carry your team and maybe be the first at kills, her damage hurts if she was builded right

nattemann

05-05-2011

I prefer Sona much more than Soraka.

Sona's abilitys (besides ulti) can be cast while moving. this makes a great advantage in chases and when you retreat. Also her passive ability isvery good. You can either slow, decraise attack or del big damage to enemis.

When you know that the enemy team is in the jungle u should set out a tank as a bait. when every of ther champions is attacking the tank you cast ulti and ur team will take down the other team. (Have been scored of ace alot on this strategy).

Remember that Sona willheal the champion with the %less life. Even if the tank that have 700 hp left and another champion have 400 life the tank will get the heal if he have lost a bigger % of his life.

If you are countring 2 melees (1 on mid lane) u should stand between them and the fight with the minions in the start of the game. If they are comming to close to you, shoot them with basic or her attack spell. This will make them lose worthful xp or make them to reckless attack and get killed.

Try to team up with an assasin or a mage with high spell competens.

The last but best reason to play Sona is that Soraka is ugly as a troll :P