Amumu vs Galio

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dane Dread

05-04-2011

Galio and Gragas. The two champions I really like the idea of but they fall a bit short in reality.

lmaonade200

05-04-2011

If you have an generally balanced team with an off-tank initiator (xin zhao or jarvan comes to mind) then galio as the main tank is a pretty good choice, especially when the other team has heavy AP nukers like ryze.

just had a nice game with galio (teammates were kennen, ezreal, jarvan, and ashe) so loads of better initiation there, you just go in, ulti, poke, poke, and your carries will do the job)

Dakkas

05-04-2011

As someone that plays both champions a lot, here is my take on the differences between the two

What Amumu does better
* Easier to get a decent initiation off. With the large range of his ult and being able to use Q, Flash or Ghost to snare a large amount of people; this makes it easier to snare more of the enemy team
* Consistent DPS. Tears and Tantrum spam does a lot of damage, especially with a Rylais and Abyssal (if you got them).
* Semi-reliable stun. Bandage toss stuns, so it can be used to break someone out of a channelling spell. Has a long-CD and unreliable in team fights, best for initiation and chasing
* Solid-jungler. I follow Stonewalls jungle router however with Tantrum I can usually steal the enemy wraiths before the middle minions even start farming. Because I don't start at blue, it's safer than normal routes because I don't take blue or red until lvl 3
* Good farming ability - Despair + Tantrum clears creeps waves pretty quick. This means you can get your better gear sooner

What Galio does better
*Best possible initiation in the game. Lets not lie here, a perfect Galio ult is not beaten by anyones. There are only two areas that Amumu's ult beats Galios and thats the radius (50 more range) and that it can't be interrupted. Those are certainly big points, especially the interruption part (every Galio player hates Blitz/Udyr/Xin/Ren/Cho), however a perfect initiation by Galio is much better than Amumus. It will do more damage, it will break chanelling (like Kat and Nunu's ult) and it will gather all the enemy champs (and minions) around you so they're easier to nuke. Those points are incredibly important and can break games
* Better laning - Galio has some of the best poking in the game, with a miniscule amount of AP, his Q (only a 7sec CD) does hurt. Alongside his E, he can defend against and with sieges very well.
* Better utility - Q is used to slow the enemy so it's easier to chase or flee from them. W on yourself or the squishy to protect them (and possibly heal yourself) and E is used to chase or flee as well. Granted he has no CC but with skills that does what Zilean does (slow enemy AND speed up allies), it's not always necessary
* One of the best farmers in the game - Amumu is a good farmer, Galio is a top-tier farmer. With an early chalice, 3 levels in Q and 1 in E, you can clear the caster minion waves in one combo and then last hit the melee minions. I've played all the typical tank/initiator champs and none of them farms as good as Galio does. In all of my games I've played as Galio, almost all of them I have my core items sooner than the enemy does. While the enemy Malphite has just got his Sunfires, I've already got an Aegis, Glacial Shroud and Catalyst.