Laning as a tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ClassicRock

03-08-2010

I have been really enjoying playing as a tank, but recently I have been having a lot of trouble fighting ranged champions, or when fighting 2 carries.

I can do all right with Chogath when i start with a regrowqth pendant for warmogs, since I can harass with my spikes and heal up with his passive.

I do ok also with nunu, since I can harass with his ice ball too.

I have problems though when i do not have a good ranged option. I was playing with amumu earlier but was absolutely destroyed and forced to fall back to heal due to a combination of katarina and ryze. I could not apporach them, and I would get chewed down way too quickly.

What should be my strategy when trying to lane or get last hits when I cannot get a hit in on the opponents and they focus me so quickly? please let me know how I can improve when laning against characters such as these.

spreadfred

03-08-2010

play defensive. esp as amumu. dont last hit unless the minions are under your turret. dont even think about harassing ranged opponents. if you have a ranged lane partner, let him do the harassing, otherwise, dont even bother. i find amumu's kinda weak early game.

TheMountainGoat

03-08-2010

amumu is hard early game. your only skill for last-hitting has a long CD, and range that barely justifies casting the spell instead of just moving 5 more inches and autoattacking the creep.

if you want to be ballsy, and you have a good hard-hitting+CC champ like ryze (esp ryze, actually, given your autoattacks lower MR) in your lane, you can start tossing bandages and going for kills. that's more fun, but you need a partner that will go for the kill with you.

trafugial

03-10-2010

Yea I have the same problem with tanks. I like them, but I do suck at using them early game.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2010

1st - against ranged in lane is, never auto attack the creep wave.

2nd - only move into range to last hit, and only if you can do it without taking more than 2ranged attacks.

3rd - Use the brush as cover, if they push into the brush to get vision on you, harass them. If you can not harass them well, hop out of the brush as they move towards it, moving towards your tower.

4th - Use your tower as a safety zone. Who cares if you can't get last hits on 2 or 3 creeps as your opponent is working the minions down at range. Let them push the lane so that the minions are building up around your tower. From there learn to time your last hits inbetween tower shots.

5th - Harrass the ranged carry at every opportunity that has them at a disadvantage (they are by your tower, etc.) as you will generally take less damage then them.

6th - Start with a survivability item: IE Doran's Shield, Regrowth Pendant. You would be surprised how the shield is sometimes much better than the pendant, as it allows you to buy 1 hp pot, and the added armor soaks more than you would imagine. (hp from shield doesnt hurt either)

I can survive in lane against top tier players playing a body slam gragas with only a mana manip (or only a ruby crystal) last hitting half the creep wave. Should be easy with Amumu and other tanky tanks.