Udyr help?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zombie Irwin

03-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKush View Post
Udyr doesn't really shine unless you Rune him right. No one here has suggested runes >.<. Silly fake Udyrs.
I do in my guide :P I have a lot of success with all attack speed since it really buffs him early game.

And as for malady first, vamp scepter is amazing for a turtle form udyr early game, and the stacks from malady build super fast on him. The attack speed and life steal synergizes well with him. Whats not to like about it? Triforce is great but lifesteal helps him lane much longer early on.

AFKray

03-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Irwin View Post
I do in my guide :P I have a lot of success with all attack speed since it really buffs him early game.

And as for malady first, vamp scepter is amazing for a turtle form udyr early game, and the stacks from malady build super fast on him. The attack speed and life steal synergizes well with him. Whats not to like about it? Triforce is great but lifesteal helps him lane much longer early on.
if you are needing life leech early on top of turtle, then you are doing something wrong. I normally lane and not even jungle on Udyr and I don't even need a vamp scepter. Frankly I get boots first. I normally get the Sheen first, but don't complete my Trinity until after I get my next 2 items. It's those two items which make my Udyr godly.

Zombie Irwin

03-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKush View Post
if you are needing life leech early on top of turtle, then you are doing something wrong. I normally lane and not even jungle on Udyr and I don't even need a vamp scepter. Frankly I get boots first. I normally get the Sheen first, but don't complete my Trinity until after I get my next 2 items. It's those two items which make my Udyr godly.

Your statement doesn't make much sense. I'm doing something wrong if I need extra life leech? Maybe you're playing against people who don't try to constantly harass you. In almost every game, when I go up to last hit, I have ranged champs whacking on me. Recovering my life faster is demoralizing to the other team. Turtle alone does not do a good job at low levels. Maybe you're up against people who generally leave you alone - then in that case sure bypass the life leech. I have 150+ games with udyr under my belt, and for me it just isn't the case.

Azghyn Nite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2010

Any suggestions for if i don't have runes?(still level 17)

Deadly Paradox

03-10-2010

Masteries

Quote:
Offense 0
Defense 9
Quote:
Resistance 2/3
Hardiness 2/3
Evasion 4/4
Nimbleness 1/1
Utility 21
Quote:
3/3 Good Hands
3/3 Perseverance
4/4 Awareness
1/1 Greed
2/2 Utility Mastery
3/3 Quickness
1/1 Blink of an Eye or Haste or Spatial Accuracy or Clairvoyance
3/3 Intelligence
1/1 Presence of the Master
Summoner Spells (in order of effectiveness)
Quote:
Cleanse
Flash
Ghost
Teleport
Clairvoyance
Items (buy the ones that you need)
Quote:
Starting Buy
Doran's Shield & 1 Health Potion

Early game
Mercury Treads or Ninja Tabi
Brutalizer
Triforce (parts)

Mid - Late game
Stark's Fervor
Banshee's Veil or Phantom Dancer
Soul Shroud or Frozen Heart
The Bloodthirster

congalong

03-10-2010

I find Jungle Udyr is HIGHLY rune dependent. Without AS runes he's just not as fast or effective as Warwick in jungle. I almost never play Udyr in lane.

Dranwin

03-10-2010

I play/played Udyr quite often, before and after the nerf. I am in upper mid-ELO and I find that starting with a vamp scepter is very very effective. Combined with turtle you can keep yourself topped throughout the early laning phase. You are very beneficial as a lane partner because you can 1: Absorb harrassment from enemy champs without much worry, and 2: be a constant threat that you will burst into bear form and stun for an early kill.
Both AS builds and AD work very well for Udyr but I have been really loving an endgame AD build. Pheonix Stance SHINES early and mid game as a burst/constant dps boost. Later game however maxxing out Tiger with your endgame gear can be a gamechanger. This said, Udyr is effective only when using every single one of his skills to their full potential and as far as stance dancing goes, practice makes perfect. I start with turtle and then a level in bear. Put another into turtle to reduce the mana cost, this allows for easy farming of creep buffs. My end skills are 5 in Tiger 5 in Turtle 4 in Bear 5 in Phoenix. This gives you the max amount of dps potential while really not sacrificing anything but a slight movement boost. Remember to try and pop your phoenix to boost your damage and give yourself an aoe, pop tiger to slam on a boosted burst of damage, then turtle to lay on a shield, get some regen, and wait for your other skills to come up from cd. Bear is very situational and is up to your discretion when to use it. Remember its every 6 seconds, so save it for that moment to cancel a channel or stop the run. Bear has unlimited uses. In a team fight, throw down on their carry then just cycle through the group stunning the enemy team. Very effective.
Udyr is a great champ but he does take practice to master. Good luck to you!!

AFKray

03-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Irwin View Post
Your statement doesn't make much sense. I'm doing something wrong if I need extra life leech? Maybe you're playing against people who don't try to constantly harass you. In almost every game, when I go up to last hit, I have ranged champs whacking on me. Recovering my life faster is demoralizing to the other team. Turtle alone does not do a good job at low levels. Maybe you're up against people who generally leave you alone - then in that case sure bypass the life leech. I have 150+ games with Udyr under my belt, and for me it just isn't the case.

There is a different between attempting to harass and being successful. Judging by your need for life leech, a tell-tale sign that you need another source of hp regen, that you get harassed. Proper use of turtle and proper last hitting rarely puts you in danger's way. I just never needed a vamp scepter ever. I don't build into it as there are better items to get early and it really doesn't give the impact as other items.

Also, your statement doesn't make any sense. You say "when I go up to last hit", yet you buy life-leech, an item designed to recover health over multiple hits, which means the only way you're going to be benefiting from its returns is by auto-attacking creeps. Getting 1 hit every 5 or something seconds is pretty much the same as your natural regeneration. So either you are A) auto-attacking or B) running up and last hitting. B) would mean you stay back to prevent these "harassers" from "whacking" you until you can last hit. In scenario A) Vamp would be superior due to the prolonged leeching of auto-attacks. On the other hand, scenario B) would mean less damage by ranged harassers but less opportunity to recover HP. Since you claim B) is your preferred method of laning, then I really don't understand why you insist on getting an item not suited for that playstyle. Boots far outweigh Vamp scepter in this case, as I can pop in and out for last hits and often beat out their movement to harass or take one or two less auto-attacks.

So, in sum, your point doesn't make any sense. Life steal is for jungling, which is a constant attack-fest. In the lane and unless your ranged, Life steal early is kind of moot. It serves little benefit unless you are actually auto-attacking available creeps. Since you have a built in Vamp Scepter in Turtle Form, the extra is just overkill for me.