Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How does gaining/losing ELO in solo ranked games work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AgentGary

05-04-2011

I have been reluctant to start ranked games (I have been level 30 for a while). I only know a few champions I am comfortable to play with. Before, I wanted to play ranked games as soon as I've learned at least 2 champions of each role in an ideal team.

A few days ago, however, I felt like I can carry a game with 1 of the few champions I know how to play, and I did. I played a couple more, and now I am at 7 wins and 1 loss. I have several questions:

1. When will I get ranked? According to my wins/loss, where would I mostly lie when I do get ranked?

2. Because I won quite a couple of games in a row before I even get ranked, will I get into this "ELO hell"? From what I know, a smurf (someone who makes a new account to play on) is stuck in ELO hell in NORMAL games because he has won many games early (let's say he has +30 wins over losses at level 20) and is quickly matched with incompetent players to make his win/loss ratio 50/50 (as you know).

The matchmaking system attempts match you quickly, putting more emphasis on how well you did on the first handful of games and giving you a rough ELO. As you continue to play more games, you gain/lose less ELO than your earlier games. Therefore, if you did terrible in your first couple of games (let's say you are at 2 wins/12 losses), you would need to play quite a number of games to get back to a higher ELO.

However, if you've done well (let's say you are at 14 wins/2 losses), how will the matchmaking system assess you? Are you going to be against and WITH competent (or similarly skilled) players?

Or are you going to play with incompetent players against competent players in an attempt for the matchmaking system to bring you down to 50/50 wins/losses? Is a high ELO player about trying to counter the 50/50 win/loss system by winning games despite the matchmaking system giving him a LESS than 50% chance of winning by giving him incompetent players?

I am afraid that if I continue to play ranked games, I will eventually lose several games at a time because the matchmaking system is trying to get me to 50/50. Because I started so strong (skill or luck, doesn't matter), I might be rated at a high ELO but will soon lose many games due to this. On my last 2 games, I felt like we win just barely (I had to do a lot of persuading to earn my team's trust and get them to cooperate)--it really feels like the matchmaking system is working harder and harder to force you to lose, until eventually, you DO lose, but mostly because you were given incompetent teammates or very competent teammates that are clearly more skilled than you. Will you keep losing and losing until you are near a 50/50 win/loss before you have realistically ANY chance of winning?

To sum it all up: Will a person who is at 2000 ELO with a win/loss of 80/30 be given the same opportunity as a person who is at 2000 ELO with a win/loss of 830/760? What if theoretically someone is at 2000 ELO with a win/loss of 40 wins and 0 losses?

Thanks.

iP1ayJarvan

05-04-2011

idk, for my ranked though, it does seem that you are eventually going to lose elo. the ratings gained from a win is less than the ratings lost from a loss (win= +13, loss= -16), well, from my observations for the past few games anyways. i don't have many games in ranked though so i could be wrong. it does seem to me that its not really possible to climb back up unless you have a grossly imbalanced W/L ratio.

AgentGary

05-04-2011

Quote:
4rch4ng3l:
it does seem to me that its not really possible to climb back up unless you have a grossly imbalanced W/L ratio.

I was afraid that may be true...