Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tanks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dane Dread

05-04-2011

Ah, thank you. I thought we were saying they were superior to all the other champions tanking abilities. They're certainly good, right at the top even, but I think there are other champs in that arena with them.

iamtheqaz

05-04-2011

Yeah, definitely. Champions like Nunu and Singed can definitely scale out against Shen and Rammus in the tanking game.

Krodalmighty

05-04-2011

Quote:
Dane Dread:
What makes Shen, Amumu and Rammus special? I concur that they are great tanks but so are Alistar, Malphite, Chogath and Singed to name a few.

as has been pointed out, singed is considered closer to an offtank due to the fact that you dont build him the same as other tanks and his abilities lend a different almost frantic/reckless playstyle to him.

Tanks are all about control. look at the 3 most popular. two of them have taunts, and the third, amumu, has an aoe 2 second lockdown of all champs near him. thats all pretty game changing.

imo the more your abilites are about controlling the other team and survival, the more "pure" the tank is.

Nidd

05-04-2011

Quote:
Krodalmighty:
as has been pointed out, singed is considered closer to an offtank due to the fact that you dont build him the same as other tanks and his abilities lend a different almost frantic/reckless playstyle to him.

Tanks are all about control. look at the 3 most popular. two of them have taunts, and the third, amumu, has an aoe 2 second lockdown of all champs near him. thats all pretty game changing.

imo the more your abilites are about controlling the other team and survival, the more "pure" the tank is.

Well, Cho Gath sports an AoE stun and an AoE silence - IMO, that's a whole lotta "control".

Dane Dread

05-04-2011

Don't forget free health from his ult and being extremely easy to block skill shots with and make targeting your team tough. Cho interface tanks too.

Kuryaka

05-04-2011

Cho'gath is an "off-tank" due to being labeled as a Bruiser/Mage, but he's one of the most effective off-tanks out there. No reliance on ult for heavy AOE CC, powerful laning phase, with a true damage nuke that makes people try to stun/slow him before he walks over to the enemy carry and goes OMNOMNOM.

He lacks a "Stop all damage to carry" spell like the 3 pure tanks though.

Most of the other champs are tanky, but can't really protect people. Singed and Alistar, yeah. But Jarvan and Garen cannot knock enemies away.

Same reason why Mundo cannot tank. Yes, he can't be killed. But he can't stop the enemy team from killing your carry. I'd stick him in my "Initiator" section along with most tanky DPS champs, which is better than having all squishies. But against a balanced team, it's subpar tanking.