[GUIDE] Kayle - Aggressive Support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

C3LM3R

03-08-2010

This guide is in an easier reading format here:
http://www.leaguecraft.com/strategie...sive%20Support

With that out of the way...

• 1. Introduction
    I originally grabbed kayle since she was a low-cost, seemingly easier to use Champion to get into the game. Little did I know that I would enjoy her so much and find myself defaulting back to her frequently. What I'm going to do here is show you how kayle is easily one of the most aggressive support characters. Notice I left out tank, and that's for a reason. *This* guide is not about a tank kayle, but using her abilities to net your team a win without being in The Suck.

[edit: 8 March 2010]

Thanks to productive comments, I've done some more testing and changed the build up a bit. I'm glad to say I've been even more successful with Kayle lately.
  • 2. Masteries + Runes
    Masteries:
    http://www.leaguecraft.com/masteries...13040100000000

Explanation:

I changed up her skill build to be more of an early game tank. The reasoning is- the more damage you can soak, the longer you can stay in a fight and help your team -> longer you're in a fight to help your team, the greater the chance you'll win. With all that reduced cd we'll have later in the game, you'll be chucking more Reckonings and Divine Blessings than the other guys can cope with.

Runes:
    Mark and Glyph of Potency. I know late game Of Force gives you higher value, but as Attack Power (AP) goes, we're looking for early game harassing with Reckoning.
    Then get Seal and Quintessence of Fortitude. If you're playing Kayle aggressively like you should, you're gonna want the extra hp to suck up the occasional hits you'll be taking from minions. Also, these are gonna beef you up just a bit more to make you less appealing to be harassed by the other team. Instead they'll focus on your lane-mate, which is actually what you want. Why? When they go for the gank, a good Divine Blessing or (if you're past lvl 6) Intervention will swing the favor back into your side and let your previously escaping teammate go on the offensive. This will catch them off guard and, in my experience, net your team a kill since they just "wasted" all their abilities with little to no effect.
  • 3. Abilities
    Holy Fervor
    I'm not sure when this skill changed, but according to the LoL mainsite, it now "inspires her allies, increasing the attack speed of all nearby champions, including herself, by 10%." This *minutely* increases her last hitting abilities, but more cements her as a support role that you want in team fights so your team is whacking other guys around just that much faster. Just ignore its secondary function of increasing Kayle's attack speed when a teammate dies; that part is still somewhat useless.

Reckoning
    This is your early/mid game bread and butter skill. Hands down. Every 8 seconds you should be reminding someone on the other team that God does not like them. Abuse this skill. Every. Chance. Possible. The slow is also a two-fold benefit. It can save your (or a teammates) ass when running, and snag you that kill when chasing. Let me repeat this: Every 8 seconds, Reckoning should be smacking someone in the face. No excuses.

This skill also scales great with a 1:1 ratio for sp:damage. *Very* few other heroes have that ratio when you're not talking about ultimates. This means late game when you're rocking your core four items, that's 415 damage every 5 seconds. Abuse it like there's no tomorrow.

Divine Blessing
    Where as Reckoning is your early/mid game skill, Blessing is your mid/late game skill. Why? Not for kayle's personal purposes at all, but this skill is going to net your team kills through assists. The heal is going to save lives in team fights, but more importantly, that speed boost is either going to net kills through chases, or give an ally the ability to be in lanes they need to, when they need to. The great thing about this skill, it's range is HUGE. You can help allies from far enough away the enemy won't even see you. Always be casting this on your carry so they can get where they need to, and kill who they need to. If not that: heal, heal, heal some more.

Righteous Fury
    Late game skill. With this build, its pretty much only used to help clear creep waves. You won't even be taking your first point in this until lvl 13. I mean, it *can* be that little extra difference to net your team a kill, but this is a support guide. Not "smack **** with your flaming sword" guide.
    With that disclaimer out of the way, this skill is what helps you hold the line offensively and defensively by clearing creep waves from a distance. Always have it up during pushes/turtling. And use it absolutely last in team fights, save the mana (just in case) for your other skills which are FAR more important.

Intervention
    THIS is why your team will love you. Offensively and defensively, this skill will save lives and turn losing situations into winning ones. Its also the reason why you need to be at every team fight.
  • 4. Items
    Starting items:
    Health Potion x2
    Meki Pendant

Explanation:
    The reason meki is because the mana regen will help you with spitting out those Reckoning every 8 seconds, not to mention you're building to a Fiendish Codex as your first item which you're going to turn into a Nashor's Tooth as soon as possible.
    Notes on the Health Potion- Kayle has a health regen at lvl 1 of 1.4hp/sec. She *is* a tank. You can easily hover around half health and as long as you stay back and harass with Reckoning, be back in fine health in no time. Pop a Health Potion if you get to 1/3 health or less no matter what. If you're harassing every 8 seconds like you should, then someone should be coming to gank you to help take pressure off your lane. Make sure you have the health to survive it.

Early game/lvl 1-6:
    Fiendish Codex
    Boots of Speed
    Health Potion
    Vision Ward
    Sight Ward

Explanation:
    The moment you hit 1300g, Blue Pill back to town, finish your Fiendish Codex, buy some Boots of Speed, and grab any Health Potion with the money left over. Divine Blessing your ass and beat feet (er, beat wings?) back to your lane and keep farming gold/xp. I highly suggest grabbing wards right now too since it's about time for the ganks to commence.

Mid game/Lvl 7-11:
    Nashor's Tooth
    Boots of Swiftness

You want to get Nashor's Tooth first, and fast. The cooldown turns your Reckoning into a 6 second spell, knocks 22.5 seconds off your Intervention, and lets you spam Divine Blessing every 11-ish seconds. This means you're helping your team that much more often, and blasting people in the face much more frequently.
    Now, *normally* boots are a situational item depending on the team your face, but after a bunch of testing, I found that Boots of Swiftness are just more useful all around for Kayle. Your whole job is to be with your team supporting them. The faster you can get there, the better the chances of someone living to fight another day. The reason why not Boots of Mobility is because there's going to be MORE than enough instances where you have to catch up to teammate chasing a runner after a team battle. You do not have those 5 seconds to wait to catch up and either assist that ally or save them from a tower dive/reversed gank. You need to be Johnny-On-The-Spot all the time.

Late game/lvl 12+:
    Deathfire Grasp
    Spirit Visage

Explanation:
    By this time, skirmishes should be everywhere around the map. You need all the cd and mana you can get. You don't have time to leave the fight because if you do, someone can die. So, we grab Deathfire Grasp to solve the mana/cd issues (meaning you hit the max 40% cd and now Reckoning every *5* seconds), and Spirit Visage to keep you and your teammates in the fight longer (they'll love you for the extra 30% healing your Divine Blessing does). Know this, Kayle is a marathon runner, not a sprinter. Longer pushes are your friend with all that cd you've got going. You can keep your team right at the enemy front door and keep up the pressure for longer periods of time. A couple of Intervention tower dives from your carry every 45 seconds, and that's one less tower/inhibitor. Trust me, if you have all 4 core items up to this point, you can keep your team at the enemies' inhibitor tower until gg without anyone needing to blue pill(1). I've done it.

1)- Unless to shop, and then you Divine Blessing them right before they teleport so they can get their asses back faster

Luxury items:
    Guinsoo's Rageblade

Explanation:
    Kayle is not a farmer. Nor a ganker. Her XP comes from lanes/assists, and her $$ from the occasional last hit on a champion. That being said, RARELY will you have the cash to grab this item, but it's a *good thing*. That's more money your carries and nukers have to win the game. If you can get by on 4 items (+wards which is your job anyway as support) let the other guys get all the money and glory. Your key ratio is Assists, and I promise you, that number won't be lacking with this build.
    Now, that being said: *IF* you've got your core 4 items, and *IF* you somehow have the money to spare, go ahead and get Guinsoo's Rageblade. It's gonna give your aggressive support kayle that little oomph of offense that combined with Righteous Fury is gonna help your team push into bases and end game. The other great thing, is it's going to work with her other skills well because as you're wiping the creep wave to begin your push, that ap bonus is gonna help your Reckoning and Divine Blessing get just a little bit more kick.

Note 1- Every single game that I managed to buy a Guinsoo's Rageblade, our team won 5 minutes later. Not because it turned kayle into a beast who aced the whole team herself, but by THAT long into the game, your team should have just outlasted the other team and kept them turtling at their base so long someone pushes another side and broke their defense.
  • 5. Skilling Order
    Explanation:
    I will reiterate it here again: Every 8 seconds someone should be taking a Reckoning to the face. This is VITAL early game. You're gonna be spamming this constantly when you get to your lane and throughout. Hence why it's important to level it up ASAP. Divine Blessing comes next because that little bit of heal has saved more lives than I can count when reckoning was on cd. Not to mention, the speed buff is going to:
    A- get you between lanes faster to take part in team battles, which is where you need to be
    B- give your teammates that speed boost they need to finish off those runners.

And just to say it, of course Intervention at 6/11/16.

Righteous fury? I've already explained. Take it 'cuz you have to.

Reckoning
    Divine Blessing
    Reckoning
    Divine Blessing
    Reckoning
    Intervention
    Reckoning
    Divine Blessing
    Reckoning
    Divine Blessing
    Intervention
    Divine Blessing
    Righteous Fury
    Righteous Fury
    Righteous Fury
    Intervention
    Righteous Fury
    Righteous Fury

• 6. Working in the team
    If you notice, this is called *aggressive* support kayle. That means play aggressive. Like I'm said numerous times- Reckoning every chance you get. Intervention where it's needed.

A couple of tips on actually working in the team with kayle.
    -She takes time to learn to use properly. That sounds dumb since she's support, but learning when and on whom to use her skills is important. Intervention on the wrong teammate, or at the wrong time can lose a team battle. Yes, you may saved 1 person, but lost 3 others because someone else who would've been better alive isn't. In the military it's called Combat Triage, and you need to learn to decide who lives and dies with the resources you got.
    -Don't use Intervention if a Divine Blessing would suffice. Conversely, don't be afraid to toss Intervention either.
    -You can hold off using Intervention for a few seconds into a team fight. Take the time to assess who needs it and how the fight is going. Use it properly, but not sparingly.
    -You are a martyr. You should be the last recipient of your spells everytime. As support, yes you heal and can turn others invincible, but never leave someone behind to save your own hide. Keep your ass in the fight and be aggressive. Trade a teammates life for yours whenever you can because tank/nuker/carry > support. They can hold towers and stop pushes. Kayle cannot.
  • 7. Summoner Abilities
    Cleanse
    Ignite

Explanation:
    Cleanse- This is gonna keep you free from those stuns/slows which would stop you from helping your team.
    Ignite- Keep the enemy from fully utilizing their heals during team fights. And I've netted FB countless times with this bad boy thanks to good Reckoning harassment. Trust me, kayle sucks at last hitting and can use the $$ early game.

[edit]
    I used to have Teleport in here, but after a few games, I noticed that Boots of Swiftness + lvl 5 Divine Blessing can get you *anywhere* on the map in 10 seconds or less. An out of the blue Intervention that saves an ally's ass while enemies thought you were in an entirely different lane will grant you so many "GJs" and "thanks" you'll feel like a badass.
  • 8. Pros / Cons
    Pros:
    Can turn battles
    Saves teammates.
    Get people to lanes faster.
    Harasses.
    Heals.
    Pushes.
    etc etc.

Cons:
    Kayle is not a good last hitter
    Targeted first thanks to Intervention (but that's ok)
    Can't farm
    Can't jungle
  • 9. Summary
    I hope that whoever reads this takes it away that you don't have to be the big bad carry on a team to contribute to the win. On average with Kayle, I have a range of 10-15 assists per game, and that's how it should be. Any less and you're not doing your job right because every assist is more gold for the carry/nuker/tank to take down their team and towers.

brotherfrank

03-09-2010

Thank you for the guide, it's very informative and has made me consider items I have normally disregarded.

Personally I usually play an ap build Kayle who can function as a main or secondary carry if team needs it, ap+cd turns kayle into a nice tactical caster making her equally good on the offence as on the defence. Boots+divine blessing+ghost= lightening fast kayle that can wipe entire teams when they are on the run.

And regarding maki pendent, it should be a staple for kayle players everywhere I think, since aswell as being used for ap/offensive support builds, you can make a philosphers stone and start a tank build if need to. I say this as I play a lot of pugs and it's not uncommon for me to not be sure what role to focus on until the 15th min

INB4 Critical

01-20-2014

Just thought it should be noted here that the Meki Pendant was removed in the S3 patch, leaving only the Faerie Charm for mana regen.