Swain Build Assistance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Still Eternity

05-03-2011

I've been a Swain player for a while, especially when I was in lower levels, but once I reached about level 30, I just wasn't able to be as effective with Swain as I'd like. Part of the reason may be my build, as I'm torn between how to build him. Do I go for AP first? ToG? Catalyst? No matter what I try to build, I never feel like I'm doing enough for the team, be it getting lots of kills and carrying, or tanking some damage while dealing some back.

Are there any Swain players out there with consistant good results willing to share their ideas on building a good Swain?

StardustxDragon

05-03-2011

my build is catalsyt merc trends deathcap banshee then hourglass adn void

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2011

Pretty much what above has said. Except I build Sorc Shoes mostly.

Honestly drop ToG, its not needed and just doesn't do what you need as effectively as other options (durability + AP):
a) manage your time in ult + your passive
b) any good jungler is giving blue to you through mid-game (think anivia), there arent mana blue hungry junglers out there that are regularly played. (champion wise, not player wise). Seriously just ask your junglers, most (including me) dont give it away in solo queue unless u say something, then im more than happy too.

See this Swain Guide

4Touchdowns1Game

05-04-2011

I started experimenting with Spell Vamp on him and it works well, makes his R heal more and makes his E+Q heal for a lot, also W is good for a burst heal on minion waves. He seems like the only non-melee caster that actually benefits from it since he's tanky enough to not die in burst (plus his R already has built in spell vamp)

atsmith893

05-04-2011

For 5's
Ring
Tear
Boots 1
large rod
boots 2 (usually mercs)
Finish hourglass
Abyssal if lots of ap, if not go deathcap
finish tear

For 3's
Catalyst
Boots 2
Spirit Visage
Large rod -> hourglass
finish BV
Deathcap

Move priority should be R>E>Q>W

You should be able to trade last hits with almost anyone and come out on top, Use E, then Q, then W. Constantly harass your opponents. Typically with swain I run flash/ignite. If I am soloing a lane against another solo I will stand in front of the minions to xp deny. With the EQW move combo I can bring my opponents HP down to half, usually the second time around I throw ignite on them to get a kill.

The difference between a good swain and a bad swain is much like the difference between a good anivia and a bad anivia, Leveling up your E first (after ult) and landing your skill shot.

Also since Q is a leash its best to use it as your opponents approach you to trade blows or when your opponents approach minions to last hit. Since you get the most damage when your opponents stay in its range try to use it in these scenarious especially.

Sandrock7383

05-04-2011

holding onto that catalyst for a while is a great move. I will finish it into a rod of ages a lot of times as the HP, Mana boost you get from it is pretty incredulous.

This is my build order and I end up being tanky and eat people alive (especially if i get to start mid)

Doran's Ring (to start)
Catalyst
Boots (Sorc or Mercs)
Turn catalyst into rod of ages
Rylai's

at this point you decide, do you want a defensive item or do you want your deathcap? if you want the defensive item, go with banshees unless you are strictly versing some crazy all AD team, in which case i would grab frozen heart. Lastly, you can probably grab a void staff.

Previnity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2011

I love initiator/tank swain

Catalyst
Boots (vary on enemy makeup)
Hextech
Spirit visage
Banshees or frozen heart (usually banshee unless they are stacking AD)
Catalyst to rod
Hextec to codex
Then what ever you like, usually Deathcap if that game is still going.

This build is a bit item dependent (once you get hextec and spirit visage you will notice things turn around) but I think it is the most fun.

The logic behind it is that you will be the initiator for group fights with ult popped because you will be getting healed no matter what CC hits you. And with stacking a decent chunk of mana, you can stay in it for pretty much all of the burst and clean up. You are a squishy looking mundo. Except with mundo people know its not worth their time without ignite, while with you they go "Ooo MAGE!" and burn to much on you while you heal through it.

JohnCataldo

05-04-2011

I'm a fan of Rod on Swain. The large health and mana pool are both really useful. Since Swain can so easily heal, it's really good to not die to bursts, plus the large mana pool feeds your ultimate for longer. Obviously the AP is nice too. =)

After Rod + Boots, I really build depending on the other team and how the game is going. Depending on exactly what's going on, I often build Hat, Abyssal, Haunting Guise, Rylai's, Void Staff, etc. Nothing unusual, but nothing super standard either. Cater to the enemies (or your own team's lack of CC, for Rylai's, sometimes).

The one 'weird' item I occasionally build on Swain is sometimes a Sunfire Cape, usually along with Abyssal, making you Tank Swain and making you want to be wading right into the middle of teamfights. Enemies often don't know what to do with you (and often can't kill you, while you do lots of AoE.) Of course, you can just run Hourglass or something like Frozen Heart or Thornmail if armor is really needed, but those are less fun.

MapNinja

05-04-2011

You really need the mana regen as swain, it's really critical to be able to ult for a while without going oom. At the same time, i find you also need the ap unless your prepared to resign yourself to just being support / soft mage until late game.

My solution is to get early game mana regen from passive + runes/masteries/summoner spells (I run tele/clarity). I usually launch straight for rylais from the gate. boots in between obviously, but the combination of health, ap, and the slow makes it a dream for swain. Once you've got your rylais, your probably getting later in, where last hitting and runes and whatnot don't cut it to keep you from running dry, so i follow up with an archangels. Depending on your enemies, getting a zhonyas is my most ideal next step. (ult during zhonya's = broken) Sometimes, you would prefer magic resist instead, so you've got your options there, really cant go wrong.