Help with Countering Vlad

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maledicte

05-03-2011

Thanks everyone for all of the advice and suggestions

Anshin

05-03-2011

Magic resist, pots, and CC are the best tools. 1-7 Vlad has to play defensive, but 7-14 is when you have to play defensive. If you don't have any method of punishing him when he comes at you, you won't be able to stop his ability to turret dive.

The best thing you can do is out-zone him quickly enough that he can't get close enough to creeps to Q without being punished. Vladimir is built to be more effective the longer combat lasts, so try to decide things quickly. Hang back and burst when you can, threatening him before his has the chance to Q creeps back up.

Because vladimirs rely on their heal and health to keep them alive, they can't afford to build defensive items. Many players get discouraged from bursting vladimir because of his large health pool without realizing that their spells will almost always do full damage.

Sarishje

05-03-2011

I play Vlad sometimes, and one of the worst pains to lane against solo is Mordekaiser. His Siphon has deceptively long range, and his shield prevents me from touching his health most of the time.

But really, just keep Vlad harassed early, because his Transfusion has a long cooldown pre-level 9.

Stuns are also really good against him, especially if he burned his Pool already, or he doesn't have very good reflexes. A good Anivia can absolutely destroy Vlad if she gets her stun off. I know from experience.

a wombat

05-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terms2k1 View Post
as an ashe player i really like to lane against vlad. just wait for him to use his heal and auto attack him. at the early levels in the game his heal isnt that high so 1 auto attack can bring him back down to around the same level of health he had originally. by the time im at 6 and he's at six i wait for my focus to charge and by the time it hits 100 its a dead vlad, with enough harassment.
I would not try to trade hits with Vlad, especially as Ashe. In a war of attrition he will almost certainly win unless you started with Doran's shield or regrowth pendant. Otherwise - you'll both eat some harass, but he will heal it back up in about a minute. Meanwhile you're forced to burn through your 3 health pots or, worse, trying to use that 3% lifesteal from your Doran's blade.

Akali is a pretty good Vlad counter in lane. Once you hit 6 just Q + ult + autoattack him then throw down shroud on top of him. He will take considerably more damage than he can heal up and will be forced to back up out of your shroud - and away from the creeps - or eat the same combo again in 3 seconds. Congrats, you just zoned Vlad.

Modevasion

05-03-2011

swain and malz are hard counters to vlad... even past 9, swain or malz will rape vlad pretty hard.

Eklipz

05-03-2011

A laning warwick with mp regen will out heal vlad if you level up Q as he does and allows a great gank initiate or finisher at 6.

I know vlad's Q out ranges WW, but if you're faster, you will get him because of WW's range on Q

Ghost13

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2011

Early game vlads spells have a fairly long cdr, someone like annie or LB whos spells are on like a 3 second cd can out harass vlad. And if you can hit 6 before he does, you can normally kill him. Mr.Tibbers hurts as does LB's ult.

I have mana regen seals so i don't feel obligated to start with a mana item. I often start with a doran's shield these days. That way you can go *** for tat with vlad early and still have more hp than he does.

Sorbon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabonidus View Post
Despite what people say, there ARE a few champs that can beat vlad in lane after level 9. Particularly, malzahar and Swain. Swain shrugs off harass with little to no difficulty, and if vlad tries to trade hits with him, it results in him either eating a bunch of DoTs, or him blowing pool, which means swain still outdamages him because of R+Lawl.

Malzahar....well, once he hits 6, he gets a free kill when his ult's up, regardless of who he's up against.
I don't mean to sound like a troll, but this should NOT have gotten quoted in the OP. It might be true leveling up or smurfing, but it's not the case at level 30 or at any reasonable rank.

Both these examples (even in the example) depend on their ults. As many have said and as seems to be common knowledge anymore, Vlad is a pushover before level 7. Depending on your ult against him simply won't do. Malzahar can counter him, if he has the mana capabilities to harass him heavily BEFORE level 6. Malz' ult from 6-10 is not something the formerly tagged "tank" Vlad will worry about. (I know he's not a tank, but survivability isn't exactly his weakness) If you're getting "free kills" with Malz ults you're playing against players who've probably never seen Malz.

Swain is a great stand off to Vlad, but not a counter. He suffers from mana costs rather than CDs, and has a big burst in viability around levels 7 and 9. He's also one of the easiest champions to avoid getting seriously harassed against, and he's so squishy that trading blows with Vlad won't put him ahead. Unless the Vlad's never seen a Swain before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a wombat View Post
I would not try to trade hits with Vlad, especially as Ashe. In a war of attrition he will almost certainly win unless you started with Doran's shield or regrowth pendant. Otherwise - you'll both eat some harass, but he will heal it back up in about a minute. Meanwhile you're forced to burn through your 3 health pots or, worse, trying to use that 3% lifesteal from your Doran's blade.

Akali is a pretty good Vlad counter in lane. Once you hit 6 just Q + ult + autoattack him then throw down shroud on top of him. He will take considerably more damage than he can heal up and will be forced to back up out of your shroud - and away from the creeps - or eat the same combo again in 3 seconds. Congrats, you just zoned Vlad.
This also should not have been quoted. Ashe is one of the best counters to Vlad in the game. Everything she does out ranges him, save for Vlad's Q. Vlad's only escape depends on slowing melee range and a slight speed increase... both countered by Ashe's Q with minimal effort. An Ashe who doesn't do well against a Vlad just doesn't know the power she holds in her hands. Cait was mentioned as a counter, and she is, for the same reason... long ranged autoattackers.

Which makes me wonder why Trist's not in the OP. She outranges Vlad, out damages him at low level, has way more mobility, and can counter healing effects. A well played Trist will send Vlad packing in lane. I think people figure because they're playing a carry (presumed to be a late game champion), they must also have a weak early game. However, Vlad's is so weak that Trist, Ashe, and TF will all look awesome early.

Nunu is another great counter. He can easily out heal Vlad at low level and out harass. Vlad can't interupt his ult and it's slow stays in effect through Vlad's W. If Vlad gets ganked while 1v1ing Nunu, he's going to die.

Akali is not a counter for Vlad in the slightest. Three of his four powers are AoEs that will hit her when she's in her stealth bubble. She depends on her ult far too much in 1v1s, and again, she has such a small window until Vlad becomes a baller. She can't stop him from farming or zoning her, whichever he chooses to do, before then.

When I 1v1 Akali as Vlad, I set the mood straight right away. If she stealth bubbles, I walk into the middle of it. I E inside it. If she's low, I'll even R+W in it. If she attacks me, Q. It doesn't help her one little bit to stealth against Vlad. If she keeps doing it anyway, I'll grab a vision ward and plop in her stealth bubble the next time just to let her know what's up. Akalis who don't realize large skillshots and AoEs will make her stealth bubble into a weak slow are just free kills.