Help with Countering Vlad

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maledicte

05-03-2011

This isn't a QQ thread, although I find Vlad to be very obnoxious XD

I just need help with solo-laning against him. He really isn't a problem (because of the long cooldowns) at the start of the match, but come lvl 8, I just can't seem to do anything against him. He can out-damage me, while healing anything I do, and laughs at me as I quickly deplete my mana =(

I just have a really hard time laning against him. Even if I do not harass him and just focus on creep kills, he can completely minion deny me because he can use transfusion every 3 seconds.

If I like any suggestions or advice that I think are helpful, I'll add them here with credit to the person that suggested it, that way people that are in a similar boat as me can just quickly view them here:

Try to out-harass and kill him early game, when its his weakest:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeil View Post
Just be aggressive when you see him use his spell, or even eat the spell and keep pushing on him.
Post level 9 Vlad your team should be in some sort of position to help you out, whether it be by roamer or jungler, pin him down and take him out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Snazzy View Post
The way to beat him is to stop him from getting minion kills and experience. The counter to Vlad is to get more CS and a level advantage. His early game is so horrendous that this is pretty easy to do and any champ can take Vlad on if he is underleveled and can't afford anything. Mostly, it comes down to early laning techniques like last hitting, zoning, harassing hard so he has to B, etc.
*Edit* I realize you are asking for what to do after he hits level 8... but really, he is so incredibly squishy and weak before level 8 that you really should be shooting for a first blood. And maybe a second or third. The best counter is to hit him as hard as possible before he gets any experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BystanderFrenzy View Post
Magic resist, pots, and CC are the best tools. 1-7 Vlad has to play defensive, but 7-14 is when you have to play defensive.
The best thing you can do is out-zone him quickly enough that he can't get close enough to creeps to Q without being punished. Vladimir is built to be more effective the longer combat lasts, so try to decide things quickly. Hang back and burst when you can, threatening him before he has the chance to Q creeps back up.
Because vladimirs rely on their heal and health to keep them alive, they can't afford to build defensive items. Many players get discouraged from bursting vladimir because of his large health pool without realizing that their spells will almost always do full damage.

Good champs to counter Vlad are:
Malz and Swain:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabonidus View Post
Swain shrugs off harass with little to no difficulty, and if vlad tries to trade hits with him, it results in him either eating a bunch of DoTs, or him blowing pool, which means swain still outdamages him because of R+Lawl.
Malzahar....well, once he hits 6, he gets a free kill when his ult's up, regardless of who he's up against.
Cait:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Snazzy View Post
I find that Cait is a particularly good counter to Vlad since he has practically 0 armor if she has armor pen marks and quints and she can harass from afar. Also, try to time some MR for when he gets his sorc boots. Having 0 MR is not going to help you. Another thing, his pool has a long CD. Try to make him pop it and then harass hard before it comes back up. His pool is how he stays alive before getting a few levels into his Q.
Morde:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarishje View Post
I play Vlad sometimes, and one of the worst pains to lane against solo is Mordekaiser. His Siphon has deceptively long range, and his shield prevents me from touching his health most of the time.
Akali:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a wombat View Post
Akali is a pretty good Vlad counter in lane. Once you hit 6 just Q + ult + autoattack him then throw down shroud on top of him. He will take considerably more damage than he can heal up and will be forced to back up out of your shroud - and away from the creeps - or eat the same combo again in 3 seconds. Congrats, you just zoned Vlad.

Masticatorr

05-03-2011

He squishie. Not matter what people say, Health does not make you a tank, and Vlad cannot heal through most harassments early game. Fiddle is more buffy then he is early game, since he has a reliable heal.
Vlad gets tanky at level 18, with anything that has MR or Armor in it. Usually thats not the case.

Remeil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2011

Well if you're having no problems with him until 9 (which is when his Q becomes spammably hilarious), you have plenty of time to harass him out of lane or kill him. Just be aggressive when you see him use his spell, or even eat the spell and keep pushing on him.

Post level 9 Vlad your team should be in some sort of position to help you out, whether it be by roamer or jungler, pin him down and take him out.

Patyrn

05-03-2011

A vlad at level 9 and a couple of items can't really be beaten in lane. A few champions can sort of hold their own, but none can win.

LupineStorm

05-03-2011

If you see a Vlad in mid, I usually like to have a character with a good shield and maybe some MR take mid. Transfusion? Lol 0 damage. If there are no such characters on your team, rush a Negatron Cloak, I guess, and just don't feed, or overcommit. (Remember his trollpool)

fuffychan

05-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patyrn View Post
A vlad at level 9 and a couple of items can't really be beaten in lane. A few champions can sort of hold their own, but none can win.
^ this

You have to beat him early. Once he hits 9, you will need teammates to help since that is when he is at his peak. Late game he kind of tapers off, so just know when to fight and when not to, pick your fights, don't give him the advantage.

Nabonidus

05-03-2011

Despite what people say, there ARE a few champs that can beat vlad in lane after level 9. Particularly, malzahar and Swain. Swain shrugs off harass with little to no difficulty, and if vlad tries to trade hits with him, it results in him either eating a bunch of DoTs, or him blowing pool, which means swain still outdamages him because of R+Lawl.

Malzahar....well, once he hits 6, he gets a free kill when his ult's up, regardless of who he's up against.

TSkillzX

05-03-2011

as an ashe player i really like to lane against vlad. just wait for him to use his heal and auto attack him. at the early levels in the game his heal isnt that high so 1 auto attack can bring him back down to around the same level of health he had originally. by the time im at 6 and he's at six i wait for my focus to charge and by the time it hits 100 its a dead vlad, with enough harassment.

Something Snazzy

05-03-2011

The way to beat him is to stop him from getting minion kills and experience. The counter to Vlad is to get more CS and a level advantage. His early game is so horrendous that this is pretty easy to do and any champ can take Vlad on if he is underleveled and can't afford anything. Mostly, it comes down to early laning techniques like last hitting, zoning, harassing hard so he has to B, etc. I find that Cait is a particularly good counter to Vlad since he has practically 0 armor if she has armor pen marks and quints and she can harass from afar. Also, try to time some MR for when he gets his sorc boots. Having 0 MR is not going to help you. Another thing, his pool has a long CD. Try to make him pop it and then harass hard before it comes back up. His pool is how he stays alive before getting a few levels into his Q.

Tl;dr If you aren't owning Vlad before level 7, you are going to get owned.

*Edit* I realize you are asking for what to do after he hits level 8... but really, he is so incredibly squishy and weak before level 8 that you really should be shooting for a first blood. And maybe a second or third. The best counter is to hit him as hard as possible before he gets any experience.

Luk Candy

Recruiter

05-03-2011

if you see a lack of his magic resist, have your nuke get a dfg or a bloodrazor on a dps
he's a pain in the neck, I know that feel.