Updated Yorick Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Psocid

11-29-2011

I have just started playing Yorick and am unable to find an updated guide for the current masteries. Could someone help me out with a moba link or something on how to build yorick properly now?

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2011

Well, I don't think the new masteries have radically changed stuff for him. Items and build is still exactly the same.

Offense still sucks for him since armor pen doesn't help his minions and crit, lifesteal, attack speed are not very useful for him. Not much change there.

If you do take Offense it will likely be Summoners Wrath, +3 AD, then 4% CDR, then the 10% magical penetration (since W,E are both magical). This is actually better than the old 9 offense path which forced crit or AP.

So, you have 2 trees to look at: Defense and Utility.

Personally I think there is less filler in Defense than in Utility for him, but both are quite strong for the first 9 points or so.

Defense has 3 armor, 3 magic resist, 5 in bonus health within easy reach. Then some ****, then the 8% CDR, 3% movespeed, more filler and the capstone.

Utility has the Meditate (3 MP5!), extra mana (great with manamune and very cost effective mana), movespeed.
Past that, you have a bunch of random stuff before getting to the 6% flat CDR and capstone.

I personally go for the 1/21/8 approach as I believe it has less filler. But several arguments could be made. Since Yorick probably wants to go Warmog/Atma's with manamune and some kind of Magic resist, he has a hard time fitting in more CDR.

The Ionic is easy 15%, and you might consider a spirit visage to give beef,magic resist, and CDR all in one, plus benefit his E. Even though SV is kind of lousy now.
So if you have 6% from runes and close to 9% from masteries you can max the CDR fairly painlessly.

Psocid

11-29-2011

What about attack sequence?
I normally max Famine -> Pestilence -> War
Anyone do anything different?

LegendaryHobos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts View Post
What about attack sequence?
I normally max Famine -> Pestilence -> War
Anyone do anything different?
Its pretty much R>E>W=Q for me. And I tend to put points evenly. Unless you're finding yourself unable to hit the enemy with Q or need more slows.
But even if you prefer W over Q, its a good idea to have all 3 ghouls by lv4.

Psocid

11-29-2011

Another question about his passive.

Quote:
Yorick's basic attacks deal 5% more damage and Yorick takes 5% reduced damage for each summon that is active. Meanwhile, Yorick's ghouls have 35% of Yorick's Attack Damage and Health.
So If I summon my first wave of minions when I start refreshing them will they be stronger then the first wave since my AD will be 5%-15% strong?

Warrrrax

11-30-2011

Passive: His extra damage dealing and reduction are percentages. They don't give him a virtual increase in AD which would affect his ghouls. It simply means he deals more damage with basic attacks. i.e whatever he would normally do gets multiplied by 1.something.

When looking at his skills, you have to consider what additional ranks of each skill actually accomplishes. Remember, you will be LANING:

Q - decreases cooldown from 9 to 5. Adds +30 flat damage per hit. Makes that ONE ghoul hit slightly harder. Adds 5% more movespeed for a few seconds.

Sounds good. However, the move speed isn't really all that useful since it doesnt kick in until you HIT something. i.e useless for chasing or running pretty much.)
Cooldown is really only useful later on when in extended fights. Not as helpful during laning.
Furthermore, this is a MELEE skill. Yorick really tends to focus more on his 2 ranged harassment spells instead.
Hence this is usually LAST PRIORITY.

W - Ranks INCREASE mana cost. Yuck. Cooldown UNAFFECTED. Yuck. Increases damage by about +35 per rank. Most importantly, increases the AoE Slow by 5%.

No cooldown bonus and costing more mana means this one is lower priority to boost. However it IS your only real CC and has an incredibly long range (800). Plus, when you use this spell to harass it SLOWS the enemy and keeps them slowed. This ensures your ghoul(s) are able to get in some hits. If you just use E, then the enemy will be able to run away and take 0 extra damage.

Hence, it is higher priority than Q.

E - Increases mana cost. Yuck. Decreases cooldown which is strong. Ranged harass spell.
Basically this spell is your SUSTAIN which is king during laning. Therefore it is top priority for maxing first.

Basically if I were you, I would max out E first, taking 1 in W and 1 in Q. Maxing W would be the next best bet.

If you are against ranged champs you might even forego Q and just max W and E.

Using both W and E together is your best way to go. If you just use W, you are losing a lot of sustain which is important to keep your health up so you can bully the enemy better.
If just using E, the enemy takes modest nuke damage then runs away from your ghoul.

Using both will SLOW the enemy, make him eat both nukes, AND your 2 ghouls get a chance to beat on the bad guy for 5 seconds, even though he tries to run. At 35% of your damage (roughly 20 dmg per hit), they should get in 3 hits each for an extra 60 damage per ghoul or 120 total.