Kassadin viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Funkk

03-07-2010

I've been thinking about buying Kassadin, but I'm not sure. I hardly ever see anyone playing him so I'm not sure how good he is or how he works. Is he viable? and if so how should you build him?

Grovel

03-07-2010

He's not a great laner and tends to have mana issues if you're not careful. Terrible farmer. You need to start strong or he'll wind up a late bloomer. Somewhat soft, but great movement makes up for it some. Certainly one of the harder champs to play well, but built the right way he's a beast when it comes to burst/AoE damage. Nasty in team fights and killing runners, one of the best.

Think of him like an AoE/Magic Shaco without the ability to gib someone for first blood.

wildfire393

03-07-2010

Basically Kassadin plays like this:

Lane top or bottom with someone who has good farming capability and farming need but maybe lackluster harassment (Udyr or Mordekaiser, for example). Lurk in the far bushes. Ignore the creeps. Let your lanemate get all the last hits. If the enemy Champions approach the creep-line, pop out of the bush for a second, nail the squishier/least-regenerating one (especially if he is a mage) with a Null Sphere. Null does some nasty damage early and can force one of them back with some frequency. If they change lanes, you can be a real **** by changing lanes as well, just harass that one champion down. If they ever try to stick around, finish them off with a Force Pulse + Null Sphere combo.

Once you hit 6 and hopefully have enough gold for a Mejai's, b an buy one and start ganking. This can be made a lot easier by taking Golem, see if you can get someone to help you with that. Then go around lane to lane and Riftwalk on top of someone, Null Sphere them, Force Pulse them, and attack them to death if they are still alive. Riftwalk is the ultimate escape mechanic, giving you a flash every 4ish seconds at max cooldown (though you likely want to space them so you don't got OOM every 30 seconds). This makes Kass one of the easiest to maintain Mejai's stacks on.

Late game, it is your job to mop up. You're effectively a carry, only you can only really take down a target when your cooldowns are off and you've charged Force Pulse. But Riftwalk gives you much more mobility than any other champion. Ideally, you want to circle around the enemy party, and Riftwalk + Force Pulse + Null Sphere to annihilate their carry, then Riftwalk out and hide until everything has recharged, then do it to the next most squishy. You can also take a mage out of the fight for a long period with Null Sphere, which is great if you see Ryze chargin' his lazars or Annie's stun-hula.

Squee Goblin Nabob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2010

There's 2 ways to play Kass:

Melee Kass and AP Kass (my preference)

I build him as such,

Catalyst--> RoA
Boots
Catalyst--> RoA (yes 2 of them)
Upgraded boots of your choice (usually merc or swift)
Zhonya's
Frozen Heart
Lichbane or whatever at that point

With the 2 RoA around 30 min you'll have about 3k hp and 2.5k mana. This will enable you to last in team fights as well as spam enough to farm out the rest of your build. The power of kass lies within his ability to chase and assassinate. Your job is to pick out the weaklings in the throng of enemies. One important thing to keep in mind however, is that you work in increments of 4 seconds (or 3 with max CDR). Null sphere has an 8 sec cd, Force pulse has a 4 second cooldown, Rift also a 4 second. In team fights you won't have to worry about the stacks of Force pulse so much as people are casting like crazy.

Grab Golem and stack riftwalks until you pop in for 800 + Null + Force = scary.

Learn to Rift --> Null --> Force --> retreat ---> repeat.

Masteries: 9/0/21
Runes: Magic Pen, CDR

Nabonidus

03-07-2010

Kassadin is by and large gank dependent. Because of this, he's relatively good in low-mid tier matches. But he tends to lack a lot of power in high tier games, just due to so much map awareness and coordination being rampant there.

That being said, I can confirm that he'll be a powerhouse in Twisted Treeline along with Mundo, Jax, Shaco, Warwick, and Poppy. The jungle warfare and gank centric nature of the map makes him VERY formidable there.

dota 5v5 rd lc PROS only

03-07-2010

Like most heroes, Kassadin is only viable in certain team compositions.

His early game is very weak in the lane so if you meet any higher tier heroes or dedicated pushers e.g. Sivir (Spell Shield > Null Orb in your solo mid), Alistar (Heals > Kassadin in your side lane) you will have a weak side lane. For example, if Force Pulse did not require spells to charge, Kassadin would be very high tier since he could shutdown pushes with pulse as well as farm a ridiculous amount. However this is not the case. His burst is limited and his mana pool early is weak so he can't handle persistent lanes.

Kassadin will have a strong burst midgame due to his fantastic skill scaling but he suffers from being unable to initiate himself. He can harass in 1v1 or 2v2 situations with Null Orb without too much damage to himself but in a full team fight he requires a strong initiator with crowd control in order to unload two or more rounds of burst.

If you want to play Kassadin, try not to pick him on teams with other "solo" type escape heroes e.g. Shaco since then you will have two possible liabilities on your team versus push teams. If Alistar and Sivir show up at your doorstep Kassadin won't be doing much without an initiator so if you have Kassadin AND Shaco your team is going to lose when pushing starts. Depending on your Shaco player he may not even be at the tower to defend, pretending like solo pushing while his team wipes is a much more effective strategy.

As for an item build, I would recommend only one build:

1) Sapphire + 2 healing pots.
2) Catalyst the Protector at 925 gold.
3) Boots.
4) Amp. Tome.
5) Finish Mejai's at 800 gold.
6) Elixir of Brilliance.
After completing items 1-6 you should have reached midgame and now should be with your team at almost all times. Kassadin is useless alone since he cannot push effectively and Force Pulse is very weak in low number fights but extremely powerful in a teamfight. His success is based purely on his team's initiation and positioning of enemies. Luckily, Kassadin has the luxury of perfect positioning.

7) Mercury Treads or Sorcerer's Boots, depending on enemy team composition.
8) Banshee's, Zhonya's, Void Staff, depending on enemy team composition.
9) Read 8., repeatedly.
10) Lich Bane, depending on enemy team composition.

Some Kassadin players get Sheen and some open with Tear. If you think Kassadin's job is to melee people then I don't recommend you play Kassadin. Obviously if the game goes ridiculously late then Lich Bane is good, but it's only for added burst and the ability to pound towers.

Glacial tear gives you mana regen and builds Archangel's, I guess people get this so that they have a bigger mana pool for Riftwalk spam. This is not how Kassadin works mechanically. He will burst HARD at most two or three times in a team fight (10 - 15s). Teamfights will not last long with Kassadin. He cannot support his team and can only burst so either the enemy team will suffer heavy burst and fold or your team will lose the fight. In any case, Kassadin should still be alive in most situations due to Rift.

The reasoning behind the Catalyst build is that Kassadin is not innately a strong laner. He has a certain timing window during which his skills have maximum effect and your job is to take advantage of this timing attack by farming stacks on Mejai's so that you can scale effectively into late game. If you leave the lane and do not perform a successful gank, you will be behind on gold or even worse, behind on experience, rendering your timing window useless. Catalyst will let you stay in the field longer to achieve this purpose as well as giving you the addition HP/MP to let you join in on team fights and burst without being burst down yourself.

I would recommend when first playing Kassadin you play extremely aggressively. This way with every death you will learn his limits. A passive Kassadin only amplifies his innate weakness in team compositions.

Phi Trigger

03-07-2010

Kassadin is a very powerful hero that requires both a skilled player and a suitable team chemistry to be effective. Remove either, and he will be a tragic mess for the team. For example, you'd want to pair him with heros that are very aggressive and jump right into battle - like poppy, malphite, amumu, etc. The key is that he has to be able to use his ultimate aggressively, and the only way to do this without instantly dying is to have other heros that also blink in and initiate quickly while still providing enough threat that they can't be ignored.

Avoid playing kass with heros like heimer, blitz, stealth heros, etc. who play a more defensive stance or just avoid being hit.

It's very important to have near perfect last hitting skills with kass. Health regen might be in order as well, or a lane partner that can keep him safe. He can potentially solo since he has a ranged nuke, but he will need regen to do so.

The post just above me as I have read now I agree with - same idea.

Xeones

03-07-2010

Kassidian used to be good in beta, for some reason they nerfed force pulse to require 6 charges he is totally worthless and I'm sad to see he hasn't seen any changes.

EroticBadass

03-07-2010

Good champion that is seen rarely in competitive play, but he is viable. His silence is long and can completely destroy many champs for 3 seconds. He has no trouble getting around tanks and he can do great damage from his 3 abilities.

He is my most played character right now and my favorite mage.

Idk why people say he has bad laning cause I don't, and you shouldn't if your going ap. With null spere and my AP/AP level runes I can usually harass like a boss, and when you hit lvl 6 a kill is almost guaranteed if you know what your doing. He's a good farmer too, with a really good auto attack (quick animation, good base damage) and people forget that his blink stacks in damage and mana cost.

If your learning him I suggest getting clarity as a summoner spell, but once you get a feel for him you could replace it if you prefer something else. (Clarity is always solid though)

Don't worry about his force pulse those 6 stacks are bad while laning, but you won't even notice it during team fights, he contributes to teams as a disable and as a nuker. d|Doesnt matter what your other team picks as long as its a balanced team (1 carry, 1 tank, 1 support, etc) and they have the balls to initiate

I've played around 100 matches with kass and I'm mid-high elo (I think), but then again these are just my perspectives

CrushD

03-08-2010

If you build to have plenty of mana, just remember to rev-up riftwalk a bit before any encounter. Preparation is key, if you use teleport, you could rev-up riftwalk a lot at fountain, teleport into a lane and surprise opponent's with a 1K+ spammable riftwalk ready to go. Archangel's staff is definitely a must.