Jax

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lynxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2010

I've been fooling around with Jax and I need some help. My mastery is currently 21/0/9:

Offense:

3/3 Deadliness
1/1 Cripple
4/4 Sorcery
2/4 Alacrity
1/1 Archaic Knowledge
3/3 Sunder
3/3 Brute Force
3/3 Lethality
1/1 Havoc

Defense:

3/3 Resistance
1/3 Armor
4/4 Evasion
1/1 Nimbleness

Runes ( Done with marks, have 4 seals, nothing else ):

Marks: Armor Penetration
Seals : Dodge
Glyphs: Mana Regen/Level or Magic Resistance/Level ( Need help deciding)
Quintessences: No idea, need help deciding here too since there are so many choices

Item Build:

I used to use this build: http://www.solomid.net/forums/index....-jax-by-dyrus/

But then my friend told me another build that worked very well for like one game and I'm sticking to it like an idiot

Malady
Ninja Tabi
Zeal
Bloodthirster
Phantom Dancer

Summoner Spells: Ghost/Exhaust

I am doing something wrong, because I keep dying when I'm against anyone like Blitzcrank/Annie/Anivia/Etc. Can someone help me?

NoobLee

03-07-2010

i dont play jax, so take everything from here with a grain of salt.

from what i've seen, you definitely need a phage pretty early so you can keep whacking stuff (the phage can further be upgraded to frozen mallet for more hp and perma snare). and you need a big dps item like bloodthirster or infinity edge.

the other items, you need to be versatile. your examples of blitz, annie, and anivia, they are all magic - and obviously you cannot dodge magic. thing about playing LoL is you cannot become "fixated" to a item build, its needs to revolve around the enemy team.

notice they have a lot of magic or snares? you can opt to go merc treads instead of ninja tabi for more magic resistance since you wont be dodging fire/ice balls. if you're running out of mana too quick, chalice of harmony works WONDERs and gives you magic resist. but ultimately against big magic enemies like annie, the BEST item would be a banshee's veil. so item build may be catalyst > boots +1 > phage > merc boots > veil > Dps item of choice (infinity edge, blood thirster) > frozen mallet.

notice they have a lot of physical dps? then you can be safe with going ninja tabi, phantom dancer (for more dodge). if they have a lot of "armor" then you can go with last whisper or brutalizer for armor pen.

overall, your item build needs to reflect the opposing team otherwise, the build you provided only maximized damage, lacking in all forms of survivability.

Tornsoul

03-07-2010

Jax is highly dependent on attack speed. It increases how quickly your ult stacks, which of course affects your DPS in a very large way. You should ditch the armor pen runes and use attack speed runes and attack speed quints, you can use dodge quints if you really want but with your E ability maxed, yellow runes and tabi boots you have around 31% dodge IIRC and the soft cap is 40% going over that diminishing returns bludgeons your items values into oblivion. So this effectively puts you close to cap.

Malady you really dont want on Jax, it doesnt give you any health from passive. Typically I go philo stone,tabi boots, gunisoo's, rylai's. Gunisoo's is definately staple because if you hit W right before you Q someone, one autoattack and your at 3 stacks already, also the stacks you get from Gunisoo's heal jax for the amount of HP gained from passive. Once you cap out the stacks you stop gaining, but every time you stack it up you are effectivly using a heal and mana pot.

Bloodthirster is a really good item for Jax if you want to go attack damage you can get that after gunisoo but I am strongly in favor of playing as AP. Rylai's is insane because you slow people on leapstrike, you have an on demand aoe slow on empower, and once you have your ult passive and gunisoo's stacked up, you have the slow procing on your ult every couple attacks. It makes it insanely difficult to get away from Jax. You have the option getting Icemallet but Rylai's gives you more bang for your buck, the health is a little bit lower but the damage gained is enourmous over the puny +20 damage on mallet. The phantom dancer you dont really need as it puts you over the dodge cap so its kind wasted, having attack speed on red and quints saves your item slots from having to stack attack speed. Typical game I will get.

Philo stone, tabi, gunisoo, rylai, atma's impaler. If for some reason its not over by then, zhonya's and guardian angel are good late as well.

IF you are going up against a magic damage heavy team, who generally have no fear of Jax, this is what you need to do. Sadly I would still recommend gettin tabi boots over merc treads even though you need the MR, because when you attack a caster in a pile of creeps, all their little autoattacks will proc counterstrike, you want that caster locked down so you can dps them as hard as you can. But again, to items.

Chalice, Tabi, Abyssal Scepter, Rylai, Banshee Veil, Wits end

tnemlec

03-07-2010

go 21/9/0 take up nimbleness

Its a lot better than putting that 9 points in utility as Jax

Get 9 dodge runes (Pretty much a no brainer for jax)

For items: Guinsoo's Rageblade should be built after your boots, after getting rageblade, you can build jax pretty much any way. AP or DPS, hes good as both.

Jax is a very versatile char right now

M3MBRAN3

03-07-2010

any jax build without guinsoo's is fail because it is cheap and he can utilise the AP/AD and AS it provides.

I typically go
sheen (extra mana he desperately needs, AP boost and it procs a lot)
ninja tabi
guinsoo
triforce
bloodthirster / cleaver

Phantom Dancer can be good for the extra dodge but you'll be such a HP monster you won't need it. IE is always good for crit but you'll be getting most of your damage from your ult which is magic damage anyway.

I prefer to use magic pen. runes because typically most heroes have some armour but very little MR. Also it easy to get Armour Penetration form the cleaver or brutalizer if you need it.

Abilites I grab one of each and then level up ult -> leap strike -> empower -> counter strike. Just from boots, level 1 counter and dodge runes you'll be dodging way before counter's cooldown anyway.

Until you've bought a few decent items he'll be pretty squishy, especially against burst damage from a Ryze or Annie so you need to make sure you can empower, leap and counter so you can get away. The recent changes are great because you can leapstrike your own minion to safety.

IndomitusRex

03-08-2010

I've been playing Jax a fair bit lately, and I build items for him a little differently. Ninja Tabi, Stark's Fervor, Guinsoo's Rageblade, Phage, and Rylai's Scepter have all been included. The Nashor's Tooth I quite like, as in tough games where you're forced back to base more often than you'd like you can pick it up in fairly small monetary increments, it provides a good chunk of AP, attack speed, and a bit of mana regen that keeps you from being married to the mana golem.

Definitely get the 9 in Defense for Nimbleness though. More dodge means more Counterattack, and more speed after a dodge means more enemies successfully beat to death.

RamboBatman

03-08-2010

I think there are generally two schools of thought on Jax and I'm not talking about AP or AD. Whats most popular these days is simple carry-Jax. Grab any mix of attack damage and AP, throw in some attack speed and count on your innate ability to give you the survivability you need. This looks something like:

Boots
Guinsoos
Bloodthirster
Phantom Dancer
whatever
doesn't matter

It really hard to go wrong with these type of builds. As long as you don't forget the IAS, you're golden. Buy something, anything every time you're at the shop and you can put out a lot of damage pretty much no matter what it is.

However, I far prefer a sort of anti-carry Jax. Anti-carry Jax is a Jax that knows he's going to get FFed by any competent team and simply doesn't give a ****. He specs for survivability and trusts in his ultimate to put out the hurt. In case you didn't know, it does, with little or no AP or AD Jax can still go blow for blow with most carries. He won't necessarily win but he'll certainly distract them for long enough for your actual carry to murder them and the rest of their team. My prefered build looks like this:

Boots
Stark's Fervor
Frozen Mallet
Banshee's Veil
whatever
doesn't matter

IAS, lifesteal, +hp, slow, MR. Thats all you need. There are some games in which Force of Nature could be more useful than Banshee's (if they have ~3+ spammable skills that can easily break your spell shield) but otherwise this build fills out all your needs. I laugh at Jax builds that don't include MR, they might do well against terribles but a team of non-dummies are going to realize that without damage mitigation it really doesn't matter how much HP you gained from stacking AD.

I think most people these days misunderstand which of the recent changes moved Jax out of the bottom tier. Hint: it wasn't the change to his innate ability. Jax was always good and pretty tough if you could get your farm on early game however, being a melee champion without an escape skill and having his farm skill on 3-sec delay made his first 5 levels terrible.

On an unrelated note, the offensive mastery tree is made of *****s. After the first 9 points the only really useful point is improved rally and the points you need to spend to get there are better used somewhere else. Jax should run 0/9/21.

Lynxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2010

Thanks guys, but I think Armor pen are the best runes since they give 2x the effect of Magic pen runes.

Aestartes

03-09-2010

Lynxion Dyrus wrote an excellent guide on solomidDOTnet he is probably the highest ranked Jax player in the world. Ive been using it to great success. Malady isnt worth it imo I would save the extra 700 and get a starks if you really want lifesteal and the aura helps your dps and your team.

For my runes I run Arpen reds, dodge yellows and quints, MR/18 blues. I almost always include a chalice for the MR and mana regen its a great cheap item. Basically you only need a few items for DPS 1 of which is always guinsoos. Magic resist is always your bane as you can dodge tons of physical damage.

Dazmen

03-09-2010

I have been using a build alot like dryus' (basicly the same thing if i recall....it might be lol)

Doran's sheild and one hp pot to stat
rageblade
Atma's Impaler
Red elixers
After that it is situational, but a bloodthirster is a good choice.

By then the game should be over. So just abude the hell out of his passive

For Marks i use attack speed, which works really well with jax to build his ult/rageblade up. Seals/Quints i use dodge, and for glyphs i use mana regen because i think jax has some huge mana issues early on, and while the glyphs only hepl alittle, i find it is enough to allow me to harass/fight without being out of mana all the time. Although MR is a very good option since casters are jax biggest threat.

For masteries i have been going down the defensive tree, becuase odds are you will be focused alot AND the 20 seconds off cleanse is huge for jax.

I use exhaust/cleanse exhaust is optional but i find it VERY usefull, but you MUST MUST MUST have cleanse imo, CC is bad mmmm'kay.

Hope i helped