Rumble

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CollumS0990

05-03-2011

just curious what people think of this build for rumble...
start w/ a ruby crystal
then merc treads
then a giants belt into a rylai's
then a hextech revolver into a will of the ancients
an abyssal sceptor
then an hourglass
then finally sell ruby crystal for a death cap

ive had good success so far with him but just wondering what i could improve in this build thanks.

The Canadian Kid

05-03-2011

Merc treads
rylai's
hextech revolver
hextech revolver
counter enemy item
wota
hextech gunblade
GA

could build 2 hextech revolvers before rylai's i guess, or 1 before, then 1 after.

Powerstoned

05-03-2011

I'd suggest getting an amplifying tome and a hp potion to start instead. Then you're that much closer to a Rylai's.

I've been starting
Tome>Boots>Giant's Belt>Merc Treds>Ryali>Chainmail>Negatron Cape...

Omesh

05-03-2011

Why buy the Crystal at all? You're not building it into anything, so it's just extra health at the start of the game rather than something that could make you useful. Where's the logic/benefit?

Since it's generally accepted at this point that Rylai's is core for just about every Rumble build*, start the game with an Amplifying Tome and a Health Potion. The faster you can get a leg up on putting together your Rylai's, the better, and Amp Tome makes your Flamespitter that much scarier right out the gate. Being as Flamespitter is your bread 'n butter, this is what you want.

I could see opening up with a Ruby Crystal if you're planning on getting Haunting Guise first, which frankly isn't a terrible idea since that item gives Rumble what he wants early on (including valuable MPen). Guise used to be my first item before I started just rushing Rylai's, which overall does way more for Rumble in the long run (though MPen is not to be scoffed at). My policy at present tends to be-- if you're doing well, plug along toward building Rylai's, if not get a Guise to tide you over. So far, this has served me well.

As a general item build order:

1.) Amplifying Tome, Health Potion x1
2.) Boots
3.) Belt of Giant Strength
4.) Complete Rylai's
5.) Complete Mercury Treads/Ionian Boots of Lucidity
6.) ...profit.

I don't have a defined item build after finishing off Treads and Rylai's; mostly I build based on what I'm facing. If facing an AP heavy team that's building up some MR, I build an Abyssal Scepter. If facing an AD team, I build a Sunfire Cape. If I'm doing really well and just tearing dudes up without much fear of dying, I build a Malady or a Rageblade, though I tend to prefer the former to the latter for the stacking debuff. (I'm sure someone is going to pop in to go over how bad Malady is as an item, but it's worked well for me the times I've bothered to build it.) I prefer AP over hybridized items, for the most part, on Rumble, since his spells are so **** potent (and since his melee is mostly just meant to be a supplemental source of damage rather than a primary source), but I haven't played enough long games to really determine what makes the most sense for him as a definite "must-buy" after getting Rylai's and Treads done.

*At least as much as can be considering how new the character is.

IdleAltruism

05-03-2011

I don't really agree with most suggestions for Rumble's starting builds. I find that a Doran's Shield or Boots+3 pots to be the optimal route.

Rumble has solid damage output at level one. The biggest obstacle between Rumble getting FB and early game kills is survivability. Other health and damage boosting options don't offer enough benefit to outweigh the harassing potential of an incredibly mobile or durable Rumble. They're actually quite weak. in comparison.

I don't necessarily agree that Rylai's is core. I've had a number of games with Rumble so far where it hasn't made a huge difference (similar to Singed; it can be potentially nice, but it's not necessary). The biggest reason that I like Rylai's is the Giant's Belt rush, which makes him formidable mid-game.

I've been experimenting a lot with Rumble, and I find that what I build largely depends on the enemy team. Rarely do I find that the same build is optimal. Against certain teams Rumble is a carry munching monster that builds semi-tanky. In those games where he's fed or has an AoE dominant team (preferably with Amumu), he becomes an AP stacking team destroyer with his ult+Abyssal an Mpen. Sometimes he plays like support to other casters with Will of the Ancients and Abyssal Scepter.

Sometimes I prefer Rylai's because they have relatively slow champions, and Rylai's allows Rumble to destroy them. Other times, they have people like Yi and Olaf and teleporters who laugh in the face of slows, and that slot fills a bit wasted when you could have tacked on a defensive attribute to the AP instead of health.

I don't find Sunfire Cape to be particularly useful in general Rumble builds. Unless I'm going straight tank with something like Rylai's/Sunfire/FoN, I don't bother with it.

I find Rumble to be quite versatile. His role is somewhat muddled, but he preforms well with any semi-tanky AP build.

CollumS0990

05-03-2011

thanks everyone so far...and Idle Altruism this is just basic i will switch things in and out depending on the other team's composition...thanks again will try the suggestions out

Powerstoned

05-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleAltruism View Post
I don't necessarily agree that Rylai's is core.
I was rushing Guise at first myself, starting with Ruby Crystal. But completing a Rylai when you Q is level 4 or 5, and it's just too great. too great maybe. Turning Q into a constantly castable slow with no mana issues to deal is maui wowie.

I think it is THE core item for, because it's just health + AP + the new slow you get for Q. I usually only have level 1 boots and nothing else when i complete my rylai.

Zeikei

05-03-2011

I personally like GA quite a bit, just because it gives both mres and armor (and the passive) so, from there, I can build as tanky as I want b/c I have some armor and mres due to my merc treads I almost always get. When I get it is entirely situational though, and I don't ALWAYS get it of course.

unR Mohrisbetter

05-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollumS0990 View Post
then finally sell ruby crystal for a death cap
lol what

if youre not going to built it into anything get a dorans

Omesh

05-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstoned View Post
I was rushing Guise at first myself, starting with Ruby Crystal. But completing a Rylai when you Q is level 4 or 5, and it's just too great. too great maybe. Turning Q into a constantly castable slow with no mana issues to deal is maui wowie.

I think it is THE core item for, because it's just health + AP + the new slow you get for Q. I usually only have level 1 boots and nothing else when i complete my rylai.
I agree with this completely. Rylai's does everything for Rumble, making him more survivable, more lethal, and better at chasing while also giving him increased escape power. I've chased down and killed multiple people at a time spamming Flamespitter and Electro Harpoons more times than I can count at this point thanks largely to the fact that between his Rylai's-enhanced offense and Scrap Shield, few champions can outrun him without using Flash or some other type of Blink ability. I don't get any argument to the effect that Rylai's isn't a core item for him; it's pretty easy to build, it gives Rumble all the bonuses he could possibly want out of one item, and it makes him very, very effective at each of his roles.

That said, I can understand IdleAlrtuism's point about Doran's Shield being a great starter item on him, even if I prefer the Tome because a) I don't, personally, find myself in need of the extra survivability (though if I use a 9/0/21 build for Masteries instead of a 9/21/0 build, I can see myself changing my tune), and b) I think getting a head start building Rylai's as early as possible is critical, as I stated before.

After that, yes, I can see arguments for and against Sunfire Cape and the like; I'm a fan, but it's not a "must" on him, though it's certainly a good pick if you want to make yourself even less desirable to stand around while also boosting your survivability. I do like Abyssal Scepter very much, and Void Staff even more, but again, I pick and choose these on a case-by-case basis.