Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Jungle Experiment.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LCS Dyrus

05-03-2011

Like a lot of players, I have a lot of champions available for use. However, I don't often get a chance to use them. 80% of people I play with want a specific lane, be it solo top, solo middle, or double bottom. Most people I play with also pick their champs with little regard for what the team composition is, so I want a champ that fits any given team comp. Unfortunately, this has led to me needing to be able to jungle with whatever champ I use. Results have been mixed.

Cutting to the chase, are there any junglers that you use or want to use that are seemingly unusual or unconventional?

Please share your results and inquiries (if any). Details would also be appreciated.

LCS Dyrus

05-03-2011

Things I've tested so far:

Jax- Surprisingly effective as evasion will keep him alive against minions really well. Also, the usual jungler start of cloth armor and health potions works as cloth armor is an ingredient in ninja tabi.

Cho'Gath- What he lacks in the ability to take the blue and red buffs at low levels is easily made up for by his passive, his ganking power, and his lane babysitting ability. If you bothered to read condon's guide for this beast, right there is all you need to know in order to dominate lanes like a boss. He also gives a lot of flexing power as he works as a DPS, a tank, and a caster.

Akali- Actually, you can find guides for jungle Akali on youtube. I mentioned she works as a jungler only because there are lots of people who don't know that.

Nasus- You lose a lot of last hit potential with syphon strike by jungling. While he is a very capable jungler, he has no business being in a jungle. Wither makes him a good ganker, but it's just not worth it.

Renekton- Definitely a troubled jungler at first. He goes good with a lantern though. To prevent his early jungle problems, I suggest packing lots of armor, attackspeed, and CDR in your runes and masteries.

Things I want to test:

Katarina- And Shunpo+Death Lotus isn't a good ganking combo... how?

Rumble- Flamethrower should clear out minions, shield will protect him, and his other abilities make him a pretty good ganker.

Teemo- I remember seeing a thread asking for a jungle Teemo guide. Might as well test it.

Warrrrax

05-03-2011

Cho Gath - starting with spikes which adds +20 damage to every attack (with AoE goodness too) for 0 mana. It does require some attack speed/armor pen which isn't optimal for him, but he can jungle pretty fast.
I prefer to start with Wraiths, then wolves, then bluebuff, then over to their side (if no enemy jungler), as taking blue at level 2 works a lot better.

Xin Zhao - A surprisingly rare jungler, probably because he lanes well. His ganks at low levels are extremely strong with a charge, slow, knockup, and the ability to re-Charge if he gets in several melee hits.
Can do cloth+5, use standard runes, start at blue and do ok. Or start at wraiths, wolves, blue, then over to other side which saves potions and works much better.

Xin jungles even better since he got a huge +6 damage at level 1, a 5% AS boost to 20%, and the AS boost STAYS even after using it to reset your Q spear poke.

ThrawnFett

05-03-2011

If you look up Stonewall on youtube, he has shown that you can jungle with everyone (not effectively, but it's possible). Jungle Ashe is quite funny to watch.

I don't see him often for some reason, but my preference as a jungler in Nunu. With a leash, he can take out Blue with little to no damage while starting boots + pot. Get his snowball at level 3 for good ganking.

Cho is definitely a good jungler if you use him right.

LCS Dyrus

05-03-2011

Wait, should we include routes too? Warrrrax just summed up my jungle Cho route, but route is a pretty big deal for junglers.

pinkfloyd188

05-03-2011

olaf can jungle quite well, haven't tested myself as i'm still low level.

LCS Dyrus

05-03-2011

pinkfloyd, Olaf is a normal jungler. This thread is for champs that normally don't jungle D:<

Also, test results for Katarina are in. I found that starting with Q, then E, then focusing W worked. I used cloth armor+health pots, and started at the wraith camp. You can gank by whenever you have shunpo. I'd recommend building AD or DPS Katarina for jungling. Now if only I was a better katarina player.

Hey Aqualung

05-03-2011

jungle jax is really fun. they thought i was trolling when i went teleport smite (which i kinda was), but that dodge stun really helps. i start with W>E>W>Q, q to help pressure a lane or to force them to use a summoner spell. once he gets to lvl 6 he just sweeps the jungle ez

i also jungled kayle, a little slower but her E helps a lot

jungle tryn i had to base back a few more times than i wouldve liked

Montegomery

Recruiter

05-03-2011

My primary motivation for developing my Jungle Akali guide was solo lane competition. Sadly she remains difficult to fit into a composition because the tanky meta remains popular.

At this point Jungle Xin Zhao is no longer rare. With fairly common runes, the right masteries and a little skill in execution he can clear his side by 3:50 with full health and both buffs.

I like playing around with Jungle Malzahar sometimes. It takes a ridiculous amount of precision to pull off and a very specific route, but it can be done. Honestly, though, it's just a joke and laning on him is better even in a duo lane.

Xienwolf

05-03-2011

Somewhat along the same lines as this main question, would be: Which champions can jungle without needing any runes/masteries?

It would be nice to identify someone who a new player of the game could pick up to jungle with at any level when they decide to try this concept out. Like I have a friend I am about to bring into the game who is a very good gamer, he will understand how things work quickly. But for all junglers I know, he has to be level 20 at least in order to jungle at all effectively.