Can non-tanks tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sancta

05-02-2011

No.

A tank has a fundamental role in the game:

Initiate
Chase Carry
Protect Own Carry

A tank can't just be a meat shield. They require some form of gap closer and some form of CC to protect their carries or to chase down the opposing carry. If a tank lacks these things such as mundo or mord who just run into the fray and then are unable to really influence to flow of battle then they are not tanks as they can not perform their necessary role.

Holy Malevolence

05-02-2011

I believe any champion with a built in blink can initiate, but full tanking is a little more than that.
Which is why I don't consider Malphite any more a tank than Akali.

PoisonedTea

05-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfrog View Post
Multiple tanky DPS that itemize more heavily for defense substitute fine for a "true" tank I think. I am 1000 elo and dropping though

Jarvan, Blitzcrank, and Xin somewhat as well all have good cc abilities to keep enemies off of your team.
ive seen xin tank yet its rare, Jarven is a tank riot sould just call him a tank

blitz is interesting he can but he better off tank because his grab doesnt get him into the team its more picking off the enemy team.

BISskits

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2011

Tank Kassadin.nuff said

PoisonedTea

05-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMalignance View Post
I believe any champion with a built in blink can initiate, but full tanking is a little more than that.
Which is why I don't consider Malphite any more a tank than Akali.
maph has knockup slow and attack speed debuff
also gains amour in a skill
he is a tank

fatrend

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2011

Kennen is really good built as a tank because he can sit on an enemy carry and stop from them doing anything. Plus his Lightning Rush is good for initiating with the bonus 40 armor/mr

Bomberdawg

05-02-2011

pantheon can tank well imo, amazing initiate, low cd stun, shield that can block turret shots every couple seconds

Whizzard

05-02-2011

You don't necessarily want to build "tank" but survivability is always a good thing. On janna in particular a very common/good item on her is aegis of the legion.

Memorylame

05-02-2011

make your paper outta rock....

Pythonhier

05-02-2011

Nunu, can be a tank. So yest alot of charcters without the Tank abbreviation can be tanks.