Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I got 100% better at everything in LoL when I started playing zilean with cv

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

istandleet

05-01-2011

Zilean with CV teaches you a number of things:
1) The zilean part: Zilean is all about looking at all your teammates all the time. This encourage general map awareness
2) On a related note: if a fight is happening, you need to be able to tell who will live and who will die. ANY time you ulti a champion who lives, unless the other team obviously pulls off of him, you did wrong. By constantly chastising yourself, you get better. I remember watching Reginald's stream and being amazed at how many fights he won by 100 or 200 health. What amazes me is how accurately he can judge the strength of his character and the opponents. Zilean does this - you need to know if trist and solo ez, or whatever. One of the key points of LoL play is knowing different match ups and how they pan out. Zilean teaches you that.
3) CV helps you first by forcing you to constantly look at the minimap. enough said. if your cv is on cooldown and you aren't using it in the next 10 seconds for something specific, you are probably doing something wrong. Especially if they have a jungler, making sure you know where he is and the status of his buffs is like making scvs in SC: you need to think about it every 30 seconds.
3b) In a related note, rewind should never be off cooldown when your ulti is on cooldown. this is a similar "keep track of your resources" lesson
4) You learn junglers most common routes, speeds, and general abilities. This transfers amazingly to when you yourself jungle. It lets you know if you have time to steal the wraiths against a ww after you take your blue if he started blue when you're nocturne. Knowing how fast or slow junglers are is like knowing matchups, and CV training is amazing for that
5) You should be able to guess where their jungler is and be right 70% of the time. That means that when you're playing without CV you still have a sense for where their team is.
6) It teaches you to try to track all their team constantly in your head. Know how many are heading top, etc.
7) imo last hitting with zilean is ridiculously easy. idk why.

TL;DR: Zilean teaches you matchups and ability to try to see everything happening in a fight, while CV teaches you jungle speed, minimap watching, and enemy MIA tracking.

istandleet

05-01-2011

But wait! While learning, zilean is also a great champion to help you win games even if you suck.
1) zilean can duo or solo lane. In this way he fills out any team well.
2) zilean denies really easily. His bombs are great harass in lane, and while they could potentially push your lane, you still have good chance to do good damage.
3) honestly even if you play the worst game of your life all it takes to win team fights is ulti'ing one of your non useless allies. A zilean with no ap and no skill can still play amazing support by ulti'ing an ally every 30 seconds.

Rin

05-01-2011

Try Janna...

Novascourge

05-01-2011

The problem with your jungler suggestions, while good, is that not all junglers take the same paths. There's at least 3 different types of paths now.

TheKoolAidMan69

05-01-2011

Zilean is banned almost every ranked game.

/Thread

Griht

05-01-2011

Quote:
TheKoolAidMan69:

/Thread

Sadly this. I finally climbed my way up to the Elo where they ban him right after I bought his time machine skin. Uhhhh.

Graceful Wombat

05-02-2011

Why would anyone ever downvote this?

Elena X

05-02-2011

janna and/or zilean can teach you all of this, once you hit the ELO where they are banned, begin to play sona, taric, or tbh, a tank. you learn enough on the way, and a tank ALWAYS teaches you huge amounts about judging your teams status and theirs, knowing if someone else is coming, where and how to initiate.

Once you have map awareness down, and you understand positioning and such with supports, tanks is by far the best role to take on next. Initiation wins 50-80% of teamfights in my opinion, if done well. If done badly, it can lose you any fight, even 5v1.

Tanks are easy enough to build, you can guarantee if you pick a balanced selection of these items:
(BV, FoN, Sunfire cape, warmogs, thornmail, frozen heart, QSS (in rare situations))
and chuck in merc treds
you can stand up to anyone, you just have to know when your team can win with you

I Ult You Die

05-02-2011

You bring up a lot of good points. I'm gonna play some games as Zilean with CV tomorrow!

istandleet

05-02-2011

Quote:
TheKoolAidMan69:

/Thread

Well like the first couple games you play I hope would be in normal. And as has been said, once you're high enough ELO you can just switch to another support or to a tank or just be good enough by then npnpnp

The reason I suggest zilean over janna is just cause bad zileans still win games. Zil's ult can never actually be a BAD thing, unlike janna. Janna can't own her lane as easily, it seems. Idk, I just think zilean is a bit better early game