How 2 Tristana?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chorus

03-06-2010

The guides you find in the stickies aren't exactly helping.

I play Sivir normally, and I generally do very very well with her as long as I have a competent team, but I'm getting really bored of her, so I picked up Tristana because I've always been eager to play her. I figured I might be able to play her similar to Sivir, but that isn't the case.

I've tried all the guide builds to no avail, the Sivir build I use which didn't work, and I think I'm getting somewhere with using Damage.

So far, I start with Dorans Blade and head to mid and just focus on farming. Getting E first, then W, then E again, then Q, then E, finishing with R. Generally I'll work on Q-E for farming. If the target I'm facing in mid is a harasser that has taken some damage, I'll hop in, hit E/Q, and blow Exhuast/Ignite on them which is generally a kill unless they flash. Otherwise it's tower hugging.

So far the only build I've been able to pull off is Dorans Blade > BF Sword > Berserker Greaves > Vamp Scepter > Bloodthrister > Work on Infinity > Last Whisper > Random damage boosting item.

It works better than what I've tried before, but it's still missing something. I'm wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction so I can pull out of this slump.

Masteries is 21/9/0
Runes are all Crit Damage in red, Crit Damage quints, and Crit Chance everything else.

simschi

03-07-2010

Try 27/3/0 on masteries, especialy dont forget to skill the more dmg on creeps.
To your items try dorans blade, Berserker Boots, Phage and then buy Vampiric, after that start to build Infinity and after that get Zeal to upgrade later after you build Bloodthirster to Phantom Dancer.
If the Games really long make another Infinity Edge, get Frozen Mallet and maybe sell your Boots to buy Trinity Force.
You can switch your build order, if you think you need quicker dmg change Bloodthirster and Infinity, if you feel to need more surviveability finish to Frozen Mallet earlier.
To the Runes i wanna trie something but i have not enough money for new Runebuilds but my first choice works not that bad.
I have +29 armor Penetration and 13% attackspeed.

RamboBatman

03-07-2010

Theres nothing particularly wrong with your build but let me suggest a few small changes. First, replace ignite as a summoner spell. Tristana already has a DoT and a healing reduction effect so Ignite is kind of redundant. Personally, I really like teleport when I'm soloing, being away from the lane can really hurt your XP gain and coming back with a couple of cheaper items can give you a large advantage over an opponent that has yet to go shop.

Which brings me to, build some smaller items first. The time in between your doran's and BF sword can be really important and, even for a great farmer like Tristana, 1850 can be a lot of gold to pull in. I used to start with Doran's but recently, because of my rune choices (more on that in a sec) I've haven't found it to be necessary. Nowadays I start with long sword and a potion. From there I like to farm up a little more than 1K gold, bp, buy a madred's razor and a vamp scepter (plus basic boots if I'm doing well) and then port back to the lane. The razor pushes your farming from good to amazing and combined with the scepter should allow you to dominate mid and stay at max HP. If you find yourself over-pushed just walk back toward your tower, hop onto the wraith camp and mop them up while your opponent's tower does the same to your creep wave. If you time it right you'll come out ahead on gold and xp. If and when your opponent bps, look at the mini, if you can see everyone, feel free to put in some damage on their tower. If you can't consider taking a trip to pick up the lizard buff. With the madred's it goes pretty quickly and the buff makes Tristana a real killer. Go gank the most vulnerable lane.

Finally, runes. Crit damage runes are pretty poor these days. They are generally worse than armor pen. and they're only better during the late-game, when Tristana should be rollling over people regardless. If you're convinced they're worthwhile keep them for your marks but at least change up your quints. The flat HP quints are really the best you can buy. Runes give you the greatest relative advantage during the early game and ~100 hp is huge at lvl 1. Its the reason I no longer require a Doran's. As for seals and glyphs, to each his own but, I can never bring myself to use secondary runes. I like dodge for seals and MR for glyphs but thats just me.

I know I said finally but for real this time, masteries. The offensive mastery tree sucks after you get to archaic knowledge or whatever its called. The improved Rally mastery isn't bad but since you're not running rally, its just not worth it to go down that road. Similarly, the defensive mastery tree isn't great and without anything else giving you dodge, theres not a lot of benefit in putting 9 points there. Utility is where it is at. Mana regen, XP gain, longer neutral buffs, greater move speed, CD reduction, its all good stuff.

Hope this overly long post helps, happy cannoning.

Agrippa619

03-07-2010

RamboBatman:

So you start with a long sword (wich is not a part of Madred's razor) and after 1000 pieces of gold you blue pill and get the madred's...even though they cost like 2000-3000? I don't get it.

boybaset

03-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrippa619 View Post
RamboBatman:

So you start with a long sword (wich is not a part of Madred's razor) and after 1000 pieces of gold you blue pill and get the madred's...even though they cost like 2000-3000? I don't get it.

fail

GamBino826

03-07-2010

IMO you're rushing BF way too early in the game, there are other items that would help you a lot more. I'd usually get at least Beserker's Greaves before BF Sword and maybe even Malady before that, because Attack Speed really does help quite a bit. Especially if you don't get Q a lot, then I would probably get more attack speed.

RamboBatman

03-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrippa619 View Post
RamboBatman:

I'm sorry, you misunderstood. Madred's Razors are one of the components of Madred's Bloodrazor (the item you were thinking of). The razors are build out of a Longsword and Cloth Armor and their passive gives a chance to deal an extra 500 damage to creeps. They're most often seen on junglers but I like them on Trist because of her ability to deal AoE damage when she kills things.

GamBino: While I agree that rushing BF sword gimps one's early/mid game some, Trist doesn't really need a ton of attack speed. Greaves are a good start and then late game one of Phantom Dancer/Last Whisper/Madred's Bloodrazor is really all you need.

Agrippa619

03-07-2010

Ok...i give up with Tristana after my new record: 2 victories and 10 defeats.I just can't do anything with Tristana.She does little damage ,she is very squishy,I end up dying early,i can't get good items,and i lose.

Don't tell me i suck at the game cuz i can do pretty good with teemo/poppy/ryze/ANYTHING except Tristana.

I guess i just suck at that champion.

The Promise

03-07-2010

Well she *is* really hard to play well.

Chorus

03-07-2010

I might try to rework masteries. They were picked on the basis of me playing Sivir as well.

I'm convinced a Razor is a must.

But I'm also convinced that Exhuast/Ignite is always a kill unless they have flash.

And i'm sticking to my runes. Something magical about critting so hard early game.