High ELO matches - Anivia or Karthus?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CryHavoc

03-04-2010

I'm about to purchase one of these champions, and I'm curious about who would be more viable for a higher ELO. Obviously, one will be better in some instances than the other, but for anyone who plays competitively and has both champions... who do you find stronger? Or, if they're even, who do you think has a higher ceiling of play, if played extremely well?

I know Karthus is the better harasser, and obviously Anivia is a fantastic support champion, but in reality I haven't seen too many good Anivia's.

Even so, I'm leaning towards the Cryophoenix right now, but I'd just like some feedback before I blow through 6300 IP.

Thanks.

Kritara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2010

Both are very viable, yet both require you to do CQC to be effective. Karthus has omni reach on the map which anivia can't match. But anivia can turn retreats into counter-ganks better then karthus. Karthus is pure skill-shot + in yourface defile, vs Anivia sniping frozen targets.

Anivia takes more skill to pull off then Karthus, but the difference in their burst damage isn't all that much. I'd advise Karthus if your not that good at casters and thinking underfire, if you are then you can do a lot more with anivia in a team battle then karthus.

EasymodeX

03-04-2010

Anivia > Karthus in a heartbeat. But Karthus isn't bad. He's just not wtfbbqpwn.

Nightscape

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2010

to be able to play karthus well in high ELO games, you need to have a strong team with good team work, high ELO players focus on karthus if they have any smarts at all. a fed karthus can distroy a team early and late game. but at the same time if karthus is held back through out the game he is almost usless. like any anything a fed player will distroy in late games if the players knows what he is doing and does not take chances.

the keys on playing a good karthus in high ELO is first PRACTICE..AND MANA. to play him well early game you need to have control of your lane, and be very watchful of the map around you karthus dies very easy at any point of the game. HIGH AP the more AP you can get the better, hopfully you can get early stacks with your soulstealer it will make your game that much easyer.. other wise you need to farm like mad to get the gear you need. karthus ULTI i use in early to mid combat unless i flash into the group mid fight then use your ULTI if you die or if you are driven out of the fight with low life.
CON to karthus is you can die VERY fast against hard hitting players. YI,TRIN,JAX and ryze will eat you one on one if they are well built. STUNS or not your friend and will kill you quick.

anivia is amazing.. if built right she can push any lane, and be an amazing ganker. i have seen some fantastic anivia builds latly and i always find it funny when people target her early game for a gank when she has her egg. the biggest advantage with anivia that i have always seen is the use of the ice wall. the difference between a good and a great anivia player is how well the walls are placed. a ice wall can be a turning point in a game, you can eather get alot of blocked paths to kill the other team or getting away from advancing players. a BAD ice wall will get team mates killed or block you off from advancing to get a kill. (if the other player has flash most of the time it is not your fault). playing anivia AP or dps depends on what is needed i have seen great builds for both but early game domanation i have only really seen DPS anivia builds really shine. CON besides mana issues with your ulti but if built right mana can be easy to deal with.

so it is really up to you for what you or your team needs the most. when i play karthus i can have his ulti hit for 1200HP to each player and do it every 60-80 seconds. and his AOE can distroy a team if they are stupid enough not to target you, and you can still cause distruction for 6-7 seconds after you die (IF YOU STILL HAVE MANA)

while anivia with the use of her ulti, wall and egg can save her or start a strong push. she can be a back up tank, as well as deal out masive damage, slow, and block.
i have seem anivias with 4k hp with 150 armor and magic rest. stay in a lane distroying anything that was stupid enough to get in to range (minus there tank) her ability so slow a full team with a well placed ice shot can make a bug difference also..

i hope this helped alittle with your chocies. but i guess the easyest thing i could have said THEY ARE BOTH HIGH SKILLED GUYS TO PLAY AND ONE YOU GET THE HANG OF THEM YOU CAN BE A FORCE ON THE FEILD.

best of luck

Zeero

03-04-2010

Did you say DPS anivia?

Soookayyy

03-04-2010

i am huge fan of both, they are both in my top 5 most played.

Anivia i have as my most played but both very viable, my k:d:a ration with anivia is 2:1:4 and win:loss is 2:1 right on the dot in 30 games

i play alot of champions thats why my most played has only 30 games, but i garantee you there is no game she cannot be part in.
same applies for karthus hes a wrecking machine with requiem. you just need more patience with karthus

CryHavoc

03-04-2010

Bought Anivia today, and played my first game in a limited premade (two man). The game seemed to be high elo, based on how well the other team knew their champions and how to avoid our skills.

Finished 4-5-21 with her. A couple of my deaths were from pushing to get an inhibitor or defending our own, so I could easily have been 4-3-21.

She's a blast to play. At level 18, esp. with blue buff, you can throw that wall up so often that it totally screws with the enemy team. Even if you miss, as long as you don't pin one of your teammates in, it completely changes the way they have to attack you. It's a beautiful thing. I did a lot of damage, although I didn't get as bursty as I would have hoped for with her e+ult.

Still, it was a hard fought victory, and I felt like I was doing my part. If you've got the egg, it's vicious in team battles when you get focused, and can die, pop back, and then wall a couple of them and flash out. Awesome.

NeoDharma

03-06-2010

Anivia is stronger, although a good Karthus on a good team can be very strong.

Anivia needs to be built with AP to be effective past ~20 mins though

ProbablyNotJesus

03-06-2010

Personally I play Karthus if I need to play a caster, but I feel like Anivia brings more to the field higher ELO games. Honestly, Karthus' ult usually gets you 4-10 kills in an average game, but it's usually only for those "narrow escape" situations. While defile does insane DPS in team fights, Karthus drops pretty fast in the middle of a bunch of enemies.

I find that in larger team fights (one of the most important things in high ELO,) Anivia is more useful for a few reasons: Her large AoE (ult) is ranged. That makes a world of difference, PLUS it slows. Also, Anivia has a stun that Karthus lacks. Furthermore, ice wall can really change the tide of battle.

But the best part of Anivia in team fights is the egg. If you die, the enemy team has to choose to either A) focus your egg or B) hit the rest of your team, which puts them in a terrible position.

Honestly, the only reason I play Karth instead of Anivia is because I'm not good enough with Anivia O:

Klazzix

03-07-2010

Personally find Karthus better than Anivia. I don't know why maybe I just love hearing triple - quadra kills?